List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Guess

trick question, as long as we get half backs youā€™ll be happy.

I just had a listen to Brett Anderson and Matt Granland doing a podcast that talks about the draft and tradingā€¦the only Essendon mention was a Lever/Francis idea, without really pushing itā€¦if anyone wants to listen:

1 Like

Watson - Retired
Kelly - Retired

Likely the following will join them in retirement

• Stanton
  • Hocking
  • bagley (maybe 1 more year in him)

Additions who Iā€™d like to see retired or culled:

• Howlett
  • Long (rookie)
  • McKernan (rookie)
  • Dea

Potential Trade Options (although some are contracted)

• Morgan
  • Langford
  • Leverde
  • Colyer
  • Myers
  • Francis (only if guaranteed value)
  • redman

Weā€™ll go all out to try land Josh Kelly and Lever as we should.

We have cap space, picks and players to trade. Weā€™re primed for making sound improvements to our list in 2018.

2 Likes

If they are serious about next year, you simply cant go into the season with all of goddard, myers and coyler as starting mids ( depending on some of the other retirements beyond watson)

But thereā€™s so much culling that needs to be done, they will prolly all stay and stay as starting mids.
If so they will cripple us for another year.

1 Like

The more and more I think about it, the more I think that our list is actually in a poor position. Starting to sink in how much we got farked over by the saga sanctions. Weā€™ve managed to stay afloat by getting Kelly, Cooney, Bird, etc and the fact that we already had a list that was in a decent state to begin withā€¦but now that the list is starting to shed Watson, Kelly, Hocking, Stanton, etc we are now in real trouble and are heavily reliant on all of recent draft picks making it and/or attracting quality through FA/trade.

Weā€™ve got some absolute cream at the top, but we will potentially have a lot of holes in the 22 and no depth if Dodoro isnā€™t nailing 75% of his picksā€¦not an easy task.

Our future is heavily reliant on these players becoming good AFL standard players:

Langford & Laverde (both yet to establish themselves after 3 years of AFL)
Begley
Mutch
Ridley
Clarke
McNeice

I disagree. Players like Mutch and Clarke and McNeice are back end of the draft picks. A club can pick up as many of them as it wants each year.

Langford, Laverde, Ridley, and to a lesser extent Begley have had decent picks spent on them. Ideally 3 of those 4 will become good AFL level players.

Youā€™ve also plucked players from the 2014 and 2016 drafts, and completely skipped the 2015 AFL draftā€¦ so thatā€™s pretty harsh when assessing our future.

Really puzzling that people keep referring to the exit of Watson, Stanton, Hocking, Kelly et al as some sort of huge negative that will leave a hole in the list. Most of our movers and shakers are 25 and under (plus Hurley and Hooker). It must be looked at as a positive when we turn over a significant proportion of our experienced but slow and declining players.

I also am very bullish about the next wave of youth - Ridley, Francis, Mutch and Begley - I think we get two very good players out of that bunch at worst. Laverde IMO will be a terrific player given continuity and I still remain bullish about Langford - though can see him being a damaging half forward with stints in the middle rather than a fully fledged extractor. Target an established young inside midfielder or two and I think the list balance will look very nice halfway through next season when some of these players have exposed form at AFL level.

There is genuine hope ahead and plenty to look forward to.

3 Likes

Dea is contracted for another year

I agree with this. Based on output this year theyā€™re not going to be missed at all. So we wonā€™t be worse next year. Injuries to our key players is the only thing that will make us worse.

I think i read at the start of the year only Brisbane and fark Carlton had more teenagers on their list than us, while at the other end of the scale we were at the top with west coast and hawthorn on older players. I think we have been preparing for a changing of the guard it just might be being thrust on us a year early as the returning players havenā€™t been great.

We need mids, a key position forward (smack is the only depth we have right now) and another speedster or two (colyer getting games because there isnā€™t anyone else). I think weā€™re in ok shape but next year looks like another learning year

1 Like

Iā€™m 99% sure we are not interested in Rockliff.

Worsfold wants players that play both inside\outside or just outside and have abit of pace. Slow inside players are no chance of coming to our club.

Just to show that itā€™s not just Blitzers who over-rate the value of some players:

Port Adelaide - ā€œI would trade Jasper Pittard to Essendon for Orazio Fantasia. He would be a great forward for us and our defence is already very solid. Orazio would be a very fitting small forward, allowing Robbie Gray and Chad Wingard to play more in the centre. - Daniel Fairbrother, Adelaide SAā€

4 Likes

I like it. We then on-trade Pittard in a straight swap for Kelly. Too easy.

8 Likes

Well Kelly said that Mutch and Ridley will make it as players. so you can mark them down, as I rate his opinion.
Begley surely too, our Dane swan look alike, wish they would debut him already.

Clarke has potential to make it.
McNeice is more of a hail mary, he has speed, but im worried about his whiplash injury with his neck.
If Dodoro can get a player to make it off the Rookie B list thats a big win.

Langford, Laverde and Francis need to come on next year, along with Mutch and Begley.
Reason why i want a bigger cull is to get rid of slow plodder mids, and try and get some free agents, that can fill holes and not cost us much.

If there is another irishman like Connor could be handy off Half back.

1 Like

What are you disagreeing on?

If a low percentage of those players donā€™t make it weā€™re pretty farked. You say we can just draft more in the future but thatā€™s just itā€¦itā€™s in the future so a further 1-3 years of drafting and developing.

What Iā€™m stating is stating the obvious I know. Iā€™m just emphasising that we are hurt by not having an extra 3-4 quality kids pushing best 22 that we lost during the saga. And donā€™t get me wrong, I believe Dodoro has done a terrific job managing the list through the sagaā€¦I just hope heā€™s continued his brilliant form.

Just slightly worried that itā€™s so easy to make a list of 8 plus delisting this year.

Yeah! It worked for Carlton getting Juddy. So letā€™s do that too!

Those people submitting trades really donā€™t have a clue about FA or who is one. Or rather, many of them have no clue.

Like I said, just like this place sometimes!

Edit - what makes that one even funnier is that it wasnā€™t listed under ā€œDream Tradesā€, it was ā€˜be a list managerā€™.

ā€œHi Adrian, my nameā€™s Danial Fairbrother, Iā€™m the new Port Adelaide List Manager. I was thinking Jasper Pittard for Orazio Fantasia. What do you think, sounds fair? Nice jacket, by the wayā€

1 Like

The only proviso to all that is that the list of FAā€™s ainā€™t that great (unless youā€™re talking delisted ones?). From Footywire:

Unrestricted FA
Andy Otten
Scott Thompson
Dennis Armfield
Kade Simpson
Matthew Kreuzer
Tyson Goldsack
Brent Stanton
Heath Hocking
Jobe Watson
David Mundy
Garrick Ibbotson
Michael Johnson
Andrew Mackie
Tom Lonergan
Luke Hodge
Jake Spencer
Lachlan Hansen
Leigh Montagna
Nick Riewoldt
Sam Gilbert
Sean Dempster
Jarrad McVeigh
Mark Lecras
Sam Butler
Dale Morris
Matthew Boyd
Robert Murphy

Restricted FA
Claye Beams
Ryan Harwood
Tom Rockliff
Levi Casboult
Simon White
Ben Sinclair
Jarryd Blair
Josh Thomas
Lachlan Keeffe
Ben Howlett
David Zaharakis
Hayden Ballantyne
Nicholas Suban
Zachary Clarke
Daniel Menzel
Josh Cowan
Steven Motlop
Josh Gibson
Ryan Schoenmakers
Shaun Burgoyne
Taylor Duryea
Jack Trengove
Scott Thompson
Jackson Trengove
Jasper Pittard
Dustin Martin
Josh Kennedy
Eric MacKenzie

A lot of those are ā€œmehā€, ā€œrubbishā€, or retiring. Or likely unattainable (e.g. Martin).

1 Like