List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Brisbane Lions fans wanting Motlop and Charlie Cameron is funny, obviously aiming high.

Blues fans think They can get 2 first rd picks for Gibbs and then get Kelly and hopper with them !

Pies fans think they can lure Lever over.

Three-way trade. Aaron Francis to Adelaide, Jake Lever to Collingwood and Jordan De Goey to Essendon.

• Daniel Driver, Somerville Vic

So Pittard is the equivalent of Ricky Dyson in the Port trade world?

4 Likes

Must have come to him in a flash of brilliance while doing up his velcro shoes.

3 Likes

If we could get Rockliff, just cost us cash, and Lions get a compensation pick, both clubs will be happy.
Doubt we are in the Martin Race.
we need to sign Zaharakis, Im sure we will.
I think a few players will not sign with their clubs similar to green and Richards last year and be delisted. Matera could be one of these for Example.

Trade Kelly or Hopper trade, Darcy Tucker/harley Balic come back to Victoria Harbrow uncontracted might want to come back to Victoria
RFA Rockliff Pittard
DFA Matera / Sheridan / McKenzie /Jarrad McVeigh/D Menzel still uncontracted /Billy Hartung - has pace, bit soft but. Taylor Duryea could possible play Back pocket. Jed Anderson North would be wondering why they gave up first rd pick for him.lukas Webb

Could possibly be bringing in Kelly, Rockliff, Harbrow, Balic, Matera,

if people think we have a lot of rubbish on our out of contract list, have a look at the pies uncontracted players.

They gave up a first round pick for Anderson and a heap of later picks with almost the same value, which they traded for a high twenties pick. i.e. in effect they got him for very little.

Ok, so you’re really talking about picking up fringe players. The only problem with that, is that they have to be guys we like since most of them won’t come for a single year contract unless nobody else rates them. So for example on Balic, reputedly there is decent interest, so he’ll be getting offered 2 year contracts. Same with Matera.

And some of these guys will cost picks, even if later one. So if you get them and do the larger cull you’re asking for, we’re still back in the position of having to use lots of late picks in a reputedly weak draft.

More proof of the decline of journalism. There is nothing in that article we have not been saying here on BBlitz for months.

I still don’t entirely get the weak draft argument (ignoring the whole discussion about strength vs depth etc). If we were talking about trading out players to get picks I think it would be a prime concern. However, it doesn’t currently look like we’ll be trading anyone of note out or losing anyone to FA, and the players people are talking about are delistings.

That means we’ll have something in the neighbourhood of 10, 30, 50 with our first three picks, after which it’s 70+ picks which are speculative at best in any draft. That’s a reasonable argument against high turnover without extra picks in general, but I don’t think it says anything about it being a worse idea this year in particular.

Edit: I suppose you could argue a weak draft makes the 30 and 50 pick more speculative, thus making the total number of speculative picks you’re taking higher. Hmmm.

I thought were always interested in HBF that can move into the midfield…

Incorrect.

There is nothing in that article we have not been arguing about here on BBlitz for months.

I suppose it depends on what they mean as the definition for weak, which could vary. It could mean the top talent drops off from 20, but is consistent after that, it could mean its horrible at each part of the draft. There are some drafts they say the talent bats reasonably deep into the fifties and sixties and even beyond, and others where its a crap-shoot after the second round. I’d say we need to ask Dodoro, but I don’t think he ever describes a draft as weak.

1 Like

Does it matter how strong/weak the draft is? Aren’t all clubs picking from the same pool?

Don’t you back in the clubs ability to develop and replace those that are not capable to improve and take the club forward?

isn’t the draft supposedly weak every year?

1 Like

Yes it matters. Even if you ignore that some teams have top 5 picks, and some teams won’t come into the draft until after 30, different teams are taking different numbers of players. That means if the pool is assessed as weak, the number of players you take changes the risks. Putting 3 players who don’t make it onto your list for 2 years is a substantially better result that putting 8 players who don’t make it onto your list for 2 years.

As for backing the club’s development, that only matters if the players who get drafted are capable of becoming AFL players, which is in turn dependent on those players being in the draft pool in the first place.

1 Like

Next year is always better

4 Likes

I joked/fantasised some weeks ago that our secret list addition might be Chris Yarran…after listening to Yarran on radio a moment ago, talking about his drug addiction, I would like to withdraw that suggestion.

4 Likes

Next year has the real potential to be a super draft. The talent is miles better than this years lot. From people in the system they think this year is one of the poorest in recent times

1 Like

Nah its bullshit, you know ■■■■ all until about 3-4 years afte a draft.

Possibly but the coaches and people involved at underage level have said how poor of standard it was to previous years. There will also be some diamonds in there but across the board there were plenty of average players in the rep sides. One of the SA blokes reckons our U16’s team would go close to knocking off our u18’s side this year

He’s dreaming, all right.

At least we had the decency to throw in a second rounder as well.

1 Like