List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Yes.
But I worry far more about what happens after they’ve got here.
How must J Begley feel about playjng VFL the whole year behind some of the names above? Even Langford? Andy McGrath not seeing midfield until round 21?

We need to move on from this mindset that very limited players might suddenly blossom into match winners after 6 or 8 pre seasons.
And we need to move on from limited players as soon as we realise they’ve hit their ceiling.

1 Like

GDea and Brown are contracted.

1 Like

So are Colyer and Myers.

So unless they want to leave or another club wants them badly, we won’t be trading them.
If we do, we will be lucky to get a second round pick for Colyer. The rest will be 4th round picks at best (and that’s being ambitious).

Our list is in pretty terrible shape.

No where if we don’t fix the mid field and change the way Worsfold coaches. We will get a tougher draw next season and can easily see us going backwards if we become complacent.

The sentiment year is over time to get ruthless and ship out the players that won’t take us forward and if their are players who don’t want to do the hard yards fark them off and replace them with players who will.

1 Like

Retire:

• Watson
  • Stanton
  • Kelly

Trade

• Aaron Francis
  • Kyle Langford
  • Travis Colyer
  • Jayden Laverde
  • Michael Hartley

Delist

• Jackson Merrett
  • Craig Bird
  • Alex Morgan
  • Mason Redman
  • Mtich Brown
  • Hocking
  • Howlett
1 Like

The name Donnington sounds a lot like Essington.

3 Likes

I expect you to be offended. But this is overboard and reactionary. Some good potential players and contracted players in your delist list.

Edited - removed unkind words. Sorry.

16 Likes

Yea you’re right, let’s keep mediocre players on our list. Let’s not take a punt and trade a francis or a langford for a gun midfielder. Let’s keep losing finals and being mediocre. It’s this kind of mentality that has seen us been ■■■■ for years. I despise fans like you.

I like Donnington’s list,the trades you keep if there is no interest, Keep Redman. Smack has to go.

Who are you going to replace them with?

While i disagree with donningtons list for delistees. this argument is poor imo. its like the we don’t gift games to kids at essendon but gift them to myers, colyer, polkinghorne (last year) etc.

Wanting to trade players is fine, each to their own on the specifics, but you have to be realistic about what you’d get. Francis is the only one on that list who’d maybe get you a pick in the top 20 and that’s on potential and draft position, you’d be doing well to get much higher than around 30 for Colyer/Langford/Laverde, and something in the 40s for Hartley at best. We’re not going to be trading any of them for a gun midfielder unless we can get someone all the way over a barrel or we’re adding them to a trade already including our first round pick.

2 Likes

Inside mid beasts, of course.

1 Like

We are “taking a punt” by trading unseen 3rd & 4th years for “a gun midfielder”

Moronic.

But it doesn’t make any logical sense.
We need as many midfielders (and potential midfielders) as we can possibly get our hands on.

The single stupidest thing that could happen would be to trade out a Langford or Redman and they go on to be useful midfielders elsewhere. In fact there’s very very few under 23yo I would want out this year, too many obvious old names to go first.

Donnington’s post is a ■■■■ list of guys he’s not happy with, nothing more. IMO.

Baby, bathwater.

10 Likes

Ok.

But your list is laughable mate. Get a clue.

Correct

Realistically however what we can offer is (midfield) opportunity, a safe (albeit bland) coach, a star studded forward line to kick to, and a solid backline in behind.
We should be a pretty good destination for a guy who should be getting games but isn’t. Won’t necessarily be the proverbial big fish.

2 Likes

We can’t gift games to Myers and Jobe if Myers and Jobe aren’t on the list.

Need a HBF hard runner and 2 outside mids with skill and pace to burn

Target Kelly throw the sink at him that’s a good start

We should be trading out players for cap space and not picks imo. It’s hard to know which players are overpriced on our list but considering every club has the same cap there has to be more than a few. Other clubs have traded us aylett, bird Cooney etc. as salary dumps we should start thinking about doing the same even if it means being under compensated at the trade table.

1 Like