List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Would be a fantastic upgrade on hartley. I like the look of a hurley trengove ambrose backline. Trengove can also pinch hit and the ruck and go forward when needed. I’d chase hard. Can’t believe he isn’t get a game at port

I thought Trengove looked pretty good as a tall defender a couple of years back, then port Carlisle’d him.

McKenna? Colyer?

Trengove or Lever as well as Gaff amd Rocklif. Heck, may as well throw in Stringer. That’d cover half of our changes. Wow, we’re going to be drafting guys after 100 In a shallow draft aren’t we.

I’m not being serious. Aside from Gaff and Rocklif.

You’re being a numpty.

5 Likes

That McKenna bloke goes alright.

We could do a Cats and Hawks and blow all our picks.

FB Bagers Ambrose Lever
HB McKenna Hurley Gleeson
C Gaff Stringer Zaka
HF Fantasia Daniher Tippa
FF Green Hooker Stewart

Foll Belly Hepp Parish

Bench Lang, Lav, Begely, McGrath

I read this on the weekend regarding list management (of sorts) and thought there might be a few who enjoy reading it.

1 Like

Really well written article. I have no idea what it’s saying though?

1 Like

You don’t need to trade in superstar players to improve your list. Let’s look at Richmond. They brought in Prestia and Caddy, but then recruited speed, lots and lots of speed, both in the national and rookie draft. They were worse than us last year, but now a genuine chance at a flag!

Well, here’s what I took out of it…

In other words - he drafts based on best available players, and builds his teams that way - rather than trying to imitate what is successful (even for his own team) at the moment. That way, he gives himself the best chance over the following years to defeat those who DO imitate what is successful at the moment.

eg:

If you link it to AFL - running half back flankers are the current trend that everyone is going to imitate - how do you stop it? Small pressure forwards who chase and create turnovers in the forward line. Is anyone drafting them? No - and yet, look at the success we have when Tippa (rookie list), Orazio (late pick), and Josh Green (recycled player) play well.

Anyhow - just a thought for a Monday morning.

12 Likes

I’m pretty sure the gap between best and worst isn’t the 10 1/2 goals we got toweled up by on the weekend.

Maybe watch the hawks v swans games. They have no problem beating them.

I’m pretty sure many sides would have got beaten by the same. Carlton did the round before and really we are at about Carlton stage. They looked cherry ripe for finals we looked under done.

And that’s not bad considering our four years of hell.

I don’t place us in that top four bracket. But damn we have some weapons to put us there once we get 22 contributors.

Cut those past it/not up to it. On a list of 44 that might be up to 25% but no more.

We need to trade put our under performers for other sides under performers and make it work.

Looking forward to the offseason and 2018. We should really be back to normal operating conditions.

Far out, I’m months behind in this thread. Do IV try and catch up, or just start from here?

Don’t worry about Myers contract Bird has one to 2019

1 Like

Thanks.

I reckon that’s as far asked I need to go back in the thread now. Interesting insight.

Thanks for sharing. One thing they also didn’t mention is that they are not adverse to just letting there free agents leave. They then go back to the draft with more options

BUT

In NFL you are drafted in your early-mid 20’s and predicting player success is ALOT easier through the college system…except maybe Quarterback.

2 Likes

While I agree, I think it was even a bit different to that. It’s acknowledging that if you’re not picking early you’re going to be limited in the skills available to you. (So in AFL you probably won’t get a look at the quick inside-outside mids). So knowing that your opposition has those you have to proactively pursue a game plan to shut that down, and recruit the skill sets required to implement those in a way that will allow you access to the required players.

(Is that what you said? :slight_smile: )

I don’t reckon small forwards are that though (and they’re the fashion now anyway). They are trying to find the undervalued player, but there not defining a new game plan… Unless it’s shutting down running back flankers.

If you had to go through Sydney in Sydney to win a flag and didn’t have access to the elite one touch inside mids required? Massive tackling machines that shut down all midfield contests? Concede midfield and try and dominate off half back? Massive ruckman who smashes the ball 20m clear of the contest every time? Flooding with runners who can score on the break? Etc etc

It’s tougher to do in AFL due to the less structured nature, and given that you can’t change the game plan based on getting one or two elite players in specific positions. And lists are too short to allow you to tailor the game plan on a week by week basis too much.

But really interesting, and some extra things to consider when working the list shape over the off season.

1 Like

This is a great point. AFL is 1000x less tactical than NFL. NFL is scheme and pre-determined setups. You can control the play more.

Also NFL talent pool is significantly larger due to populations size.

NFL starts the perfect time of the year. Packers downed Seahawks and I can move on from ■■■■■■ AFL a lot easier…

I would dispute this

If there’s been a marked change in lineups and tactics over about the last 2 years it’s been little quick guys (who would’ve been seen as too small for midfield 5 years ago) running through midfield. Charlie Cameron, lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons, etc.

To combat that…?

1 Like

BIG BODIED MIDS OH BABY