List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Or maybe we let Sydney run all over us when we bent over and presented our rump to them.

3 Likes

Bit of both I reckon.

What about Kelly?

So we part with Jerrett?

We werenā€™t good enough to make them play badly.

2 Likes

We have a free spot up for grabs because of Eades.
But trading Jerrett would be a good way to go and what about throwing in that Smack guy as well.

We had a ā€˜2nd quarter picnic in the park.ā€™

I agree.

But fair to say both swans and cats were very different teams week on week.

Swans would have beaten everyone last weekend regardless. Today they were diabolical.

Amazingly different.

B Gleeson . Trengove . Baguley
HB McKenna . Hurley . Redman
C McGrath . Heppell Ā© . Merrett
HF Stewart . Hooker . Fantasia
F Begley . Daniher . Tipungwuti
FOL Bellchambers . Langford . Parish
I/C Goddard . Kennedy . Miles . Zaharakis

1 Like

Yeah and I forgot Wines aswell.

If we walked out of the post season withā€¦

First rounder traded for Stringer.
Second and third rounder traded for Kennedy and GWS second rounder.
Pick a developing midfielder with that second rounder and another with our next, and then elevate Draper.

I get the sentiment of this piece. Parts of it are true.

However itā€™s reads like some negative/disillusioned comments picked up from Blitz and thrown together to make an article.

Might be just me but I always give more credit to opinion pieces when the writer puts their name to it.

3 Likes

Fark I hope we donā€™t get Trengove

2 Likes

Sorry but thereā€™s no way Adelaide are offering him that money. I donā€™t know what it is but itā€™s higher than that (Unless they actually want him to leave of course)

1 Like

Itā€™s obvious what we need to doā€¦

Put a premiership caliber midfield in front of Joe Daniher, We do that we win multiple flags.

How to do it is the harder part. Iā€™d start with offering Rockliff a great deal, He instantly makes Merrett Parish and Andy better players.

Rocky, M.Kennedy and Stringer can be done I think.

4 Likes

Be interesting to know what you would expect to get for a player who barely managed a game in 2016 in probably the worst Essendon side since 1933, and who didnā€™t even come remotely close to getting a game in 2017. Donā€™t think he was even once named as an emergency.

Iā€™d suggest that trade value of J Merrett would be zero.

1 Like

Yeah sorry, got him and McGovern mixed up.
McGovern offered $450k.
Lever has a $600k a year offer on the table, Pies and Dees are closer to $900k. A lot of money to pass up but Adelaide could be on the verge of something special or put up with Bucks or Goody.

Yeah thatā€™s more likely.

Imo he is going because he would have signed by now if not.

I have him in my keeper league so have watched him closer than most and while he is a good player he still has a long way to go and makes some fundamental mistakes.

The real reason for the hype is all the commentators labeling him as a star long before his time and it therefore just gets parroted and becomes fact.

Heā€™d be a good pickup but not exactly what we need.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know whether youā€™re being sarcastic or not, but iā€™d expect J Merrett to be cut this year.

The idea of not selling (trading out) players for draft picks less than what we paid because ā€œthatā€™s what we paid!ā€ and because ā€œweā€™ve put lots of development time into them!ā€ is what inadvertently leads to decade-long list management disasters like Mark Bolton and David Myers. Anchoring perceived value with reference to sunk costs (i.e. draft order and ā€˜development timeā€™) is, quite simply, wrong, albeit itā€™s a reflection of inherent psychological biases we tend to suffer from (being commitment bias & anchoring).

In the stock market (to continue with the prior analogy), if i buy a stock at $10 and then two years later itā€™s trading for $5, the worst way to rationalise my buy/hold/sell decision is: ā€œi paid $10 so no way am i selling for $5ā€. The only rational way to think about the decision is: ā€œwhat is a fair assessment of the future value of this stock?ā€. Youā€™d attempt to derive that by doing a DCF, and if your DCF analysis shows the stock to be worth $4.99 or less, then the rational decision is to sell even though itā€™s at an emotionally painful 50% loss.

1 Like

But of unrest at Port.

Wonder whether some of their players are gettable. Ollieā€¦