List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Out of contract next year I think.

Why are you so convinced this analogy has any bearing? A stock is an abstract concept, a footballer is a living breathing thing.

Yes he is.

But I would like to think we would have a sniffā€¦

Starting centre bounce midfield next year: Mcgrath, Mutch, M.Kennedy

I like this blend. Wings can be Zerrett and whoever stands up out of the rest.

Not enough Parish and The Langford

Do Adelaide pay player less and have massive premiership incentives or something.

They clearly have a different remuneration plan than others and are smashing sides, something is working in what they are doing.

Forgot about Parish. He can replace Mutch, Mutch to the other wing. Hes got a massive tank.

That trade would probably have to wait till next year, although the planning would probably start now if the clubā€™s interested.

Iā€™m not - someone else used it earlier in the thread.

They would be close to bursting the cap but have a pretty strict wage structure and tend to reward long term form rather than paying a guy on potential. They tend not to pay ridiculous amounts even for their superstars and have a fair percentage of their players in the middle pay bracket. It does mean that from time to time they will get players poached for far more $

2 Likes

I will be surprised if Mutch is anywhere near the player heā€™s rated on here. Being smart and courageous is a good start, but I donā€™t think heā€™s got any attributes that set him up for a long career.
Would love to see him 5kg bigger next year and start to really demand centre square duties in the vfl.

3 Likes

For a side where they are, they donā€™t have that many established superstars. Walker, Sloane, Betts, Talia.

McGovern, lever and Crouch are really only one or two years into their peaks.

Thatā€™s generally a safe assumption for most players.

I was quite surprised listening to a Worsfold interview, Mutch was the first name he mentioned as our next generation of inside midfielders. Specifically mentioned they expect heā€™ll bulk up and that he has a huge tank. It was probably just whoever the coaches who had been talking about most recently that brought him to mind, but it was a bigger wrap than I expected.

Edit: that was in the most recent episode of The Footy Panel for those playing at home.

2 Likes

Reads like its written by a Blitzer, for sure. Particularly the fundamental position that if youā€™re not a complete gloomer, youā€™re delusional and a fan-boy/happy clapper - which is the MO of opinion piece writers.

Iā€™m not particularly positive, but I resent the idea that I have to challenge myself to be more negative.

7 Likes

We need to get 3 players in, that will slot into our best 22ā€¦ at a minimum.

Based on past recruitment, I honestly canā€™t see that happening. Other than Leuenberger, Green, Gwilt, Stewart typesā€¦ who are more fringe players than best 22.

Weā€™ll likely just get Stringer and a DFA. Hopefully Iā€™m proven wrong and follow the trading pattern of a Geelong who brought in Henderson, Dangerfield, Zac Smith, Tuehey, Stanley, etc.

We need to go ā€˜all inā€™ with this trade period if weā€™re serious about pushing for top 4.

He may well be right, but he hasnā€™t really shown it on field yet. He looks consistently competent in the vfl, which is no bad thing for a first-year late pick, but Iā€™m not quite seeing what his role is or why he demands that role.
I would back both of Begley and Langford over him in the short and long term.

Tend to agree. Seems to me he could carve out a career as a jack of all trades, where he could end up playing most games just because heā€™s covering for one of half a dozen different players. Kind of what Melksham did at Melbourne this year, some run with, some wing, some clearances, some half forward as required.

And add to that - just in case someone forgot - itā€™s supposed to be FUN!!!
Farkin nerds

4 Likes

Iā€™ve always favoured the Fever Pitch interpretation of sports fandom myself.

1 Like

You donā€™t strike me as either.
I donā€™t really consider myself a gloomer (although I occassionally use the term ironically).
What makes me laugh, a lot, though is, ā€˜Itā€™s so rude and reductive when gloomers call me a happy clapper.ā€™

2 Likes