List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

It’s a very popular way to not talk about many things - in, and outside of, Blitz.

Gloomers, happy clappers, same coin, different sides.

1 Like

I’m more on the happy clapper.

I actually think we have enough weopons other than 1 top end inside mid or 2 very competitive ones.

I don’t look at Cats and think their list of best 22 is better than ours. But they have depth around the football that we don’t have.

We fix that and hit form at the right time of the year and we are a chance.

The best team on paper may not win the flag 2 years in a row. It shows footy is changing, gameplan, intensity and health can all line up and with the weopons it can be done.

Edit: must fix culture though.

1 Like

That’s a very bullish view IMO

Fair enough. I’d rate “comes in when there are a 3-4 midfield injures and gets 16-17 okay disposals” as barely a notch above “doesn’t have an AFL career”.

Edit: although apparently Melksham kicked way more goals than I thought this year.

Classic of click bait by conflating separate examples over a cherry picked data set.
(Eg - only Hawthorn has ever rebuilt, and look how successful that was - Jeez!

• I wonder when any of the other 17 teams might try a rebuild and be guaranteed 4 Flags)

While ignoring the elephant in the room. If the Saga hadn’t happened - but it did.
Are key personnel - Board, CEO, Coach, players the same as when Sheeds stuffed us with his Carlton rejects?
No.
Should things change? - Yes.
Are they changing? - Don’t know.
The author gives no opinions either way relevant to the last couple of years on this.

It actually reminds me most of “setting the scene for a Board challenge”.
So I assume someone is stirring the pot in this direction.

Fine, but I hope they can bring better skills to the Board than this conflation of cliches.

3 Likes

If you go onto the Melbourne forums, they’re pretty thrilled with Melksham’s form over the last third of the season. It sounds like most of the saga players he started slowly, but is now having a real impact. 16 goals and 15 possessions a game for his last 7 games. And I still think his best position was as an inside mid.

I’ve not watched a Melbourne game in a while though.

He’s definitely picked up, and like I say I didn’t realise he’d kicked that many goals, but for mine he’s generally been on par with what he was like with us. Then again I spent 5 years overrating him, so maybe I’ve overcorrected.

If a Melksham or Sam Lonergan type, that racks up 15 disposals consistently every week, is in the bottom 4 players in your best 22. Then your going to have a team that is on track to winning a premiership. Unfortunately if you have a poor team, those types of players are going to be targeted for not doing enough.

He’s played forward flank and been pretty handy
Kicked some very important goals

Edit: never mind. Having a discussion about Melksham’s year is so absurdly off topic, I’ll gladly accept that I’m more bullish than you.

Yeah Ollie the Wine-O.
But would he wanna come to us?

1 Like

Port will rebuild their team around him
No way they will use him as trade bait

But what do they lack that we got?
Would we had beaten them in the elimination finals?
…and after Gray, Boak, Broadbent, Hartlett, SPP,
Polec and those other bogans, we 5 finger discounting on Wine-O is totally doable.

There is no way they trade out Wines unless he personally requests a trade. It would be like us Putting Zerrett on the trade table

3 Likes

Well that’s a hard question. How do we make ourselves interesting to anyone… We need to.

100% you would not volunteer a trade if you were Port.

But I remember then being in real salary cap pressure last year and they tried to offload Hartlett. They failed…

I can’t imagine they are in a much better situation unless the increased cap space has NOT gone onto any existing contracts.

And they may not have a senior coach for next year because off field they are peanuts and Hinkley must be fairly annoyed.

So I would be enthusiastic about offering Wines a big deal to come to home, get paid and play for a big Melbourne club. Wines would fix a lot of problems I would think.

That wasn’t a cap issue, it was the fact that Hartletts captain ■■■■■■ his ex

Regardless of the truth of that or not. They definitely had cap issues.

Sure? Because nobody left, they’ve done better this year, yet can still chase Rockliff.

They’ll free up a fair bit if Trengove leaves I guess.