List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

I’m the other way.

18 teams is fine, but why we keep trying to pretend that people on the Gold Coast give a fark about AFL, is beyond me.

4 Likes

As a supporter of a heritage Victorian club, one way or another, I am the cash cow that funds the expansion clubs and probably an expanded salary for the AFL key executives. And the generous list concessions for those new clubs tilts the competition and just puts my club further from its next premiership.

How anyone here can think this is a good thing, has me absolutely beat!

3 Likes

That’s because GWS has too many top players. That needs to even out for a start

The whole GC club has been botched from administration to list build to coaching appointment.

Basically been just trying to fix the fark ups ever since.

Whereas GWS got to watch how GC went about it and improve on their mistakes.

… Barrett saying Clarkson being targeted for GC now … Hmmm

Signed a new deal this year

That’s also a claim with little evidence. The deal signed in 2012 after the addition of two new AFL teams was 67% higher. The last NRL deal in 2015 increased by 70% with zero new teams.

Melbourne doesn’t need another NRL team just like Sydney doesn’t need GWS. Brisbane are a basket case enough without throwing GC in the mix. All the while talent is diluted and traditional footy areas like Tasmania and NT are neglected. 18 clubs is probably sustainable due to the AFL continually bankrolling ideas born out of idiocy…mainly I’m just annoyed Will Brodie signed on again.

1 Like

I’d love to know who we are rumoured to be targeting for off season. I enjoy the speculation in the Don’t Make Plans threads.

My hope is we’ll see another thread for Patton, but I’m not hopeful. Reboot said we were a chance previously, but he’d be a tough extraction now.

I also want to see a thread for Goldstein if he is disenchanted as he was last year. Not sure of his status.

A thread for Setterfield would be a welcome sight. I’d give up our first rounder this year for him.

Finally, I wonder what Peter Wright is thinking about 2018. If I recall correctly he only did a 1 year extension to cover 2017.

Who is he/does he play for and what type of player is he?

What the! Will Brodie what have you done!

Geez, thought we’d have a great shot at him once his initial contract was up.

Forget Goldstein, Preuss should be our target.

For sale, one crystal ball.

Will take bids.

Obviously needed as apart from Ants and HAP, none of you have any idea.

2 Likes

Also don’t want to sound peevish, but can someone start another thread for old free agents we shouldn’t ever get and contracted top 5 picks that we’re never gunna get?

Ie Setterfield was pick 5 all of 6 months ago. Why on earth would GWS let him go? What could have changed?

Lack of opportunity & salary cap pressure only ways you could see something like that eventuate.

He was a mad keen Bombers supporter also, and has all his high school friends down in Melb as well after moving down there for later years of study.

With the retirements coming up for us we’d have him pretty much straight into team for Jobe as Setterfield is a freak clearance player. And we could offer more than GWS would for a player who may be playing 2’s still for them for some time.

There is no doubt we put a lot of time into him last year with a view to still trying to get him in years to come

I can’t see it happening however but never know

Where are we? I really wish Lav, Francis & Ridley were fit & firing before making a call on this. ( apologies if already mentioned)

I like the strategy the recruiters have used for the last 2 trade/draft periods and there’s a good base of kids to work with.

I think it’s time the club applied a "cherry pick " approach in a similar method that the Swanies have for about 2 decades now. I’d be targeting guys like Sicily, Hopper, Parker, Mathieson & Nakia Cockatoo. (across 2 or 3 seasons)

Parker is a Mid gun who has seen big bucks thrown at other teammates. Offer him Overs to come back home to Vic.

Sicily, Hopper & Cockatoo have also seen big buck fly around them, there is serious talent here and we just need to tell them “we believe there’s a place on our list for them”.

Mathieson would be a great stable pony for Parish and I like his hardness around the ball.

Time to beat the Swans, Hawks, Geel at their own game and regain our rightful status.

Patton r-signed a few month ago.
Do we really need a 30 year old Goldstein who has struggled in 2016/2017 but will still cost a first rounder?
Setterfield is no chance until at least 2018, and maybe not then.
I think Wright extended his contract, although I’m not sure.

Do we really need tall forwards given how Stewart and Francis are going in the magoos? I’d say more mids is the priority.

Oi! I resent the idea that I have an idea!

Nice try.
If it worked, you would have just pm’d the buyer.

8 Likes

I knew you were gonna say that.

2 Likes

The only thing better than having a good base of kids would be having an even bigger base of good kids.

2 Likes