List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Now you mention it, every brownlow medallist I can think of had two legs and at least one vowel in their first name. Therefore, anyone with two legs and a vowel will make it.
Which is to say, your logic’s the wrong way around.

As I say, id love him to develop a ‘thing’. Kobe Mutch who wins a heap of clearances would definitely be a good thing. But I just don’t see that. Yet.

So yes, go full @dingus, chop off his legs and delist him. :wink:

I imagine it’s to do with whether there’s any interest from other clubs, or whether the players want to move away, or move along from footy etc.
You wouldn’t delist someone if there’s even the slightest chance of a pick-100 trade. And sometimes we want to make sure the players have firm interest rather than chopping them off (I remember we did that with Prismall - albeit the Dogs rescinded their offer after we’d chopped him)

I don’t think it’s an issue.

1 Like

I’m sure there are other underlying things that need to be taken into consideration in delisting players and making it public.

I very much doubt it’s as simple as; have a meeting with player, tell him he’s delisted, then announce it to the public.

You need to make sure the support is available for the player. I’m sure there are legalities of contract that need to be considered. You need to have conversations with the players manager. The club may need to support them in any future ambitions they have outside the club.

Many supporters forget to understand," that at the end of the day, a person has lost his job and his family’s livelihood is at risk.

12 Likes

Yep.
Good post.

Either, really.
I guess it depends on where you see Ambrose and Harltey.
Hooker’s 29 next month, so you’d expect three more seasons from him.
It will take three seasons for a KPP to get up to scratch. Probably.

It’s a really important point that you make. Having been made redundant recently and not working since end of financial year you lose part of your identity, confidence etc. this whole process needs to be handled with tact. I’d hope the slow process is about looking how they can support the player post playing life. Playing for Essendon is a privilege and I’m sure being part of our big clubs fabric does give opportunity post footy.

2 Likes

You’re probably not wrong about Hooker but it’s going to make that 5th year of his contract A Thing at some point.

I see Ambrose and Hartley and Brown as replaceable with equivalent state league types at fairly short notice. ie I wouldn’t be investing in a junior KPD at this point unless they had some A grade capabilities. And I’m not sure we’ll have access to the sort of junior gun that might convince me to commit. And possibly Francis and Ridley will be the intercepting, distributing KPish answers anyway.

As far as forwards go Hooker obviously might only have 2-3 years. However if he wasn’t there I see a restructred forward line based around Daniher and Stewart and mid sized marking targets as being viable. Or potentially adding a ruck forward beast to play out of the square. A Hooker replacement or a ruck/fwd upgrade on McKernan would need to be drafted pretty soon if we felt it was necessary. But I’m not sure whether it is.

But if there was a ruck who can take a mark in the forward line I’d look at that. It’s just not as critical as some class and pace through the middle at the moment. (which I think is more critical in terms of drafting than inside mids. For inside mids I think we can trade for depth of quality (Kennedy?) and develop from our current list for the longer term).

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that we need mids, mids and more mids.
But if we don’t find a tall this year then we’re having the same conversation next season, only it will be that much more urgent.
Hooker will be 30, Leuenberger and T-Bell (if they’re both still on our list) will be 30.
Ambrose and Francis are the same height as Hurley, and I’m not sure Brown and Hartley are…what you’d ideally want to fill that role.
I’m not sure about Hartley. I thought he had an excellent 2016, but a really disappointing 2017.
Maybe he can be turned around.

I’m not silly insistent about it, but I do think it’s something we need to address.

1 Like

I’m kind of assuming we’ll be looking to replace McKernan on the rookie list as a minimum this year, and that we’d be looking to upgrade Draper.

Then we have Hartley who’s young and big, if not A grade, and Ambrose who is a good shut down type, if not big. They could both play 5+ years of surrounded by quality 3rd tall intercepting type who are also classy users.

Agree that a Hooker replacement has to be an option. Hopefully they have one lined up at pick 54 :). And a McKernan replacement rookie list ruck/fwd.

That would work for me.

1 Like

I assume Mason Fletcher is a likely father/son next year, provided he nominates and his form warrants it?

4 Likes

Yes!
I forgot about that.

snlnevermind.gif

Hahaha, that’s the backline sorted until 2040. No pressure though…

3 Likes

If he nominates us, lol!

I’m with Wim.

Even with Mason potentially coming next year, if a good tall candidate was available later in the draft or rookie draft (like Hooker/Draper were, hopefully not a Still/Gregory), I think we should jump. Mason’s currently (very very roughly) predicted to be 20-40. Could be better or worse. If we’re delisting 8+ guys this year and a few more next year, adding 1-2 talls with promise for 3-4 years down the track is hardly breaking the bank.

Find us the next Powel- pepper or Pat Cripps with our pick 11, forget Stringer.

I would like to see us pick up Darby from the VFL. From the couple of games I have watched streamed to the computer, he is a very dependable mark with reasonable disposal. He seems of a good size to be at least a 2nd or 3rd KPB.

1 Like

From the limited amount I have seen of the VFL team there are some reasonable prospects in the mix. This is reinforced by a good number being invited to the draft combine.

We may find a few late picks in here.

Inactive trade period, draft n develop etc

Come rnd 1 2018:

B: Michael Hurley, Michael Hartley, Mark Baguley

HB: Martin Gleeson, Patrick Ambrose, Conor McKenna

C: Andrew McGrath, Darcy Parish, Travis Colyer

HF: James Stewart, Joe Daniher, Jayden Laverde

F: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Cale Hooker, Orazio Fantasia

R: Tom Bellchambers, Dyson Heppell, Zach Merrett

I: Josh Begley, Brendon Goddard, David Zaharakis, Kyle Langford

E: Kobe Mutch, Shaun McKernan, David Myers

My version was not too far different, except;
Had Ambrose out (he’s Hartley’s replacement/alternate) and his CHB spot between Brown/Francis/Ridley (in that order currently).
Colyer was out (emergency), with Zaharakis replacing him on the field (follower or wing) and Mutch replacing him in the team.
Otherwise just some swapped players.