List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

I am disgusted that you felt it was ok to point this out.

Fark Carlton.

5 Likes

You don’t beat an enemy by ignoring what they’re doing right.

2 Likes

Yeah, but you left 2 words off the end of your post.

F… C…

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeh go back and finish your post Ants ala @frosty wise words!

It’s in the best interest of the players to know they are delisted as soon as possible so that they can explore possibilities as a delisted free agent or work out their life post AFL. Disco waits till the 11th hour every year in case someone offers us a packet of chips for the player. Saying that it is a player welfare issue is fanciful nonsense.

Dodoro has every right to wait until the last minute to delist players.

4 Likes

Can you provide an example, any example, of when holding onto someOne has harmed them?

Prismall we cut as soon as he had a vague offer from the dogs
Pears we cut as soon as he had a vague offer to be a firey
Heater with his baking
And on and on.

If anything, not being delisted at the first opportunity makes someone look more desirable. And let’s face it, for the vast majority of footballers, an extra year on AFL dollars is the best financial outcome they could hope for.

Aka “seeing out the terms of your contract”

If you asked a player so you want to know now or at the latest moment, I’m pretty sure I know which one they’d pick. Yeah, they let Heater and Pears go earlier, but only because they knew they were finished with AFL.

Of course it’s impossible to say who has missed out on an AFL gig, or even a coaching or playing opportunity outside AFL because of our typically last minute delistings. Silly question really.

Ahh.
You mistake not telling them, with not announcing to the world.I don’t think it’s likely he’s stringing anyone along.

Just another invented stick to beat Disco with.

3 Likes

Delisting no longer matters as much as previously.

If a player is out of contract, he can find his way to another club by free agency.
Their managers would be doing their best to secure a contract from a other club.

The only guy I recall getting screwed by the system (and it is a very tenuous link) is Josh Green. Due to the change of coaches and his injuries, his spot on the Brisbane list dropped and his contract negotiations broke down. For memory he was delisted during or slightly after the trade period. By that time his chances of getting on a list were very slim. Lucky for him, we needed a small forward and we had 1 last list spot available. I doubt any other team would have considered him.

Do you have any reason to think they aren’t told long before the public?

So if Richmond win does that mean we don’t need a big inside beast anymore?

They are ranked 14 for clearances.

2 Likes

If Richmond win I’m not sure list building even matters. 3 superstars, the rest is all coaching and pressure.

4 Likes

In the era of stretched talent that’s all that’s left

So anyone who thinks we are miles off have a look at today.

13th to premiers.

Hadn’t won a final in forever.

Didn’t have to lose one to win one.

Just made a good run at the right time of the year and played with purpose.

It’s achievable.

7 Likes

Richmond won a flag with a team of nobodies. Just bring the effort and pressure week in and week out and you can win a flag. (See bulldogs 2016)

This is something Essendon has been incapable of doing since 2001.

8 Likes

They recruited and developed their role players brilliantly from 2017 to 2018 - after their coaches arguably got it pretty badly wrong last year. Graham and Butler and Townsend and Astbury types, none superstars, but all played roles, did it with purpose and determination, and blunted more vaunted opponents.

And it was them, not Dusty/Cotch/Rance, who got the job done. The speed, the pressure, all over the park. Outworked and outlasted Adleaide.

3 Likes

I think our young group will develop beautifully.

I’d like us to trade for a good.mid, draft a project tall.

There was an article the other week about how they got their recruiters to do player profiles for all the new assistant coaches, and how that resulted in changes to the game plan to suit the players better, and move some players back to where they played their best football as juniors. Who knew playing to your strengths could be the solution?

5 Likes