List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Agree. I was hoping we could retire Goddard from the midfield to third tall for a couple of years but I think Gleeson has it all sown up now. I think at HB there are too many potential mismatches. And while I like him, I never want to see him lining up on a Betts or Rioli etc.

It’s good to have versatility with regards on field players, but you don’t want to be changing you half back line every time there is a bad match up.

His best attributes are his reading of the ball in flight and his overhead marking. Let him zone off and mark til the early morn! (OK, I do want him to have some defensive side. But you get my point).

1 Like

Yes, exciting times ahead!

So if we get stringer we have

IN: Stringer, Saad, Smith
OUT: Watson, Kelly, Stanton, Hocking

I reckon we take 2 live picks into the draft…

So does that mean we delist 1 more player?

Jerrett, Howlett, Bird, Morgan the candidates?

I think Morgan is the one to go…

The one with the greatest upside?

2 Likes

Delist them all. Morgan is the only one to think about keeping.

4 Likes

I would turf Jerrett first, then Bird, then Howlett and then Morgan…

1 Like

As long as they’re all done this year and not in future years (except maybe Morgan), then the order is irrelevant.

1 Like

Dyson was probably the last decent kick in player we have had. Good decisions, accurate kick and could kick a decent distance for a smaller player.

1 Like

So right now have

OUT: Watson, Stanton, Kelly, Hocking
IN: Stringer, Smith, Saad

I think we take two picks in the national draft.

So i’d be expecting.

OUT: Jerrett, Morgan.

Howlett and Bird get another year.

Maybe re-rookie Jerrett or Morgan

There will be other DFA’s we look at/been tracking

1 Like

I’d be delisting all four of those, plus McKernan and Long, and promoting Draper and McNiece.

No need to promote McNiece. Keep him on the Cat B list, and (I think) we can now play him anytime we want anyway.

1 Like

Which leaves 3 main list spots. Hope we’re right into a couple of DFAs if that’s the case.

I thought you could play main list rookies any time, but Cat B’s only if there’s an LTI.

To be honest, that was never really clarified. It seems strange though if they do have that interpretation (I’ve assumed that when it was being reported nobody had the wherewithal to think to clarify Cat B’s status). If they can’t be played anytime, there is a stronger argument to make the move you’ve suggested. Although the odds of no LTI’s seems low, and gives the list more flexibility having him as a Cat B.

I’d have thought that most picks we’ll take will be reasonably speculative, or promoted VFL players, so making McNiece always available, with his exposed form, would make sense.

But if he’s a Cat B and you take a mature player on a 1 year deal instead, you get a free hit to check out another player.

And if Bags goes down with a 6-week injury?
You could go Redman but…I’m assuming most of our pickups are reasonably speculative.

And I’d clear allthose 6 off the list, with the possibility of putting Morgan back to the rookie list. Seems to be our go-to strategy.

I’m still in shock, we actually chased and got 3 decent talent into the club.

Fix the intensity drop off from week to week and opposition to opposition , 2ith those 3 additions we are , on paper a top 4 side.

It’s the first time ever in blitz history I’m actually excited about the possibilities next year.
Rd 1 can’t come quick enough.

8 Likes

Holy lid off Batman!!!

15 Likes