List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Can someone go through in detail and explain remaining list spots, likely draft picks we will require, how many more to be delisted etc. I get a bit lost trying to understand it.

Assuming Draper will be upgraded.

Three good players in the draft coming to us? Am I dreaming? Is this the start of a new era for our beloved dons?

2 Likes
1 Like

We currently have 1 vacant senior list spot. We have 1 vacant rookie list spot.

(The above assumes we run a 40 senior / 4 rookie list split. We could choose to run a 38 senior / 6 rookie list split or anything in between).

In its simplest form, we must now delist 2 more players from the senior list in order to meet our minimum draft pick requirements of 3. Those 3 draft picks are #48, #67, #85.

We may choose instead to upgrade rookies. For each rookie we upgrade, our minimum draft pick requirement reduces by 1.

Anyone else we delist beyond the above opens up additional spots on the list.

8 Likes

Thank you. So assuming we draft two and upgrade Draper we would need to delist 2 more. If we pick up a DFA on top of that we would need delist 3 more. Correct?

1 Like

Correct.

Who are the DFA that are out and about?

Miles could be a DFA. I reckon he would be well worthwhile

1 Like

Is he a better option than say a Bird or Howlett though?

I suppose he is 4-5 years younger, so yeah. Answering my own question

1 Like

A sad few days coming up for a few players I suppose.

4 Likes

Def better than Howlett, both very similar in size and ability although Miles is a proven ball winner/accumulator and has done it in finals. Howlett can’t get more than 15 touches a game and doesn’t have a the tank to play midfield. We have plenty of mid/forwards now that he has become surplus.

3 Likes

It’s very tight for spots.

No time for sentiment though.

We’ve done well from DFA’s of late so hopefully we can address some other list needs, and get rest from draft.

Miles won’t be delisted IMO. In their best 30.

To all the people wanting us to delist Bird - is he out of contract? Footywire website claiming he is under contract for another 2 years. Doesn’t that mean we can’t delist? Would love some expert opinion here.

3, he is 25; Bird and Howlett are both 28.

Obviously very excited about our signing but a little depressing too.
We are so close to being a good team.
Unfortunately our lack of inside mids will cost us.

Can’t see us winning games where the opposition -
Shut down the corridor, stop our run, turn the game into a scrap.

Welcome onboard the wagon.

2 Likes

We have upgraded our run and polish by adding Smith in the midfield and the Stringer pick is based on his ability to transfer to midfield. He could play centre ball up round one but may have to swap with others around the ground.

We have got better across the midfield but it may take some time to improve overall clearance numbers.

McNiece needed to be elevated this year, came up for ANZAC day when Laverde went down with his big injury. I would assume we’d do the same again if Bags had a big injury.

My point was that if we regarded him as our cover for Bags, and Bags had an injury of less than 8 weeks.

And no-one else was on LTIL.

I’d be happy to run that risk, cover with saad or Redman. You can’t dedicate an understudy spot for everyone.

2 Likes