List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Isn’t Setterfield’s best friend Kobe Mutch? not that going somewhere to play with your friends has ever happened.

but yeh huge bombers fan. could see it in an interview he does, adamantly says ‘the bombe-- uhh don’t really follow a team’

These threads pop up every year. Same people are adamant that it matters are equally adamant that the clubs our players supported growing up doesn’t matter.

Agreed.

Only way to attract players is to look like a flag is imminent or to line the pockets.

I’m bullish on essendon 2018, 19 and onwards I think we’ve got a good core group of youngsters and just need some additions here and there. Which i think for the GWS footy factory might attract some prime talent thats ready to emerge.

It can’t hurt to have supported us as a kid. Have toured the facilities last year. And would’ve gone to the draft hoping we picked him up.

It can’t hurt that he hasn’t popped his AFL cherry yet.

Given recruiting is a long game, why the hell wouldn’t we be hopeful he comes home this year or next.

If like to see us continue to stockpile young talent, I think from Daniher down we have a great young crop coming through. We need to build on that.

Whatever happens with watson, Stanton and Goddard will shape our decision making. If both Watson and Stanton retire it’s fair chunk of cap, even with our apparent fat we have. Goddard I think will go another year. If they all play on then if back to the draft.

With a good year this year we become a destination club, targeting a FA would be handy if the current senior players go.

Martins a gun, but don’t want. I don’t think Fyfe will leave.

Lots to consider come September.

Although I do have a hunch that we told setterfield we would get him after a year or two in a trade. Wouldn’t be surprise if it was straight away.

I think i’m one of like 3 people on this forum that’d have Martin at our club in a heartbeat.

1 Like

I reckon best case scenario, we finish somewhere mid table this year whilst getting games into the good youngsters. one or two of the 4 oldies go after this year, and we clear out / trade a few 26-28 year old fringe players, and we keep our powder mostly dry regarding trade/FA

Clears out probably close to a mil, and our list would be looking really decent for 2018-19. Then we’ve got the bulk of IMO a really good young side, meaning we can afford to throw good picks at established players.

Not at 30 yrs old thanks.

He’s 25…

I’m one of those three.

1 Like

Sorry HAP, I had the wrong Martin.
The young one … no thanks.

There is a thread on Dustin Martin.

I think your “best” scenario is far more pessimistic than most, and more in line with most people’s “most likely outcome” scenario. A mid-tier finish is very possible IMO. It’s scenarios around finals that are more bullish.

Peter Wright is the Gold Coast 2m tall forward recruited from the Calder Cannons.

1 Like

And, as I’ve said, I reckon chasing finals right now could well be counter productive if it means less focus on development.
I don’t get people wanting us to bank everything on this year and next. We’re not that good. We’ll be a far better side in Zerrett’s prime years.

1 Like

We really do need a third 2m tall full forward.

Its because a lot feel these should’ve been our years. but saga.

Yeah we’re losing the prime years of Myers, Zaha and Hocking. I will go out on a crazy limb and say Heppell, JoeDan and Zerrett are already better than the current 26-28 year olds, much less in another 2 years.

List decisions - letting go of Melks, buckets & Pig - I reckon have been the right ones, long term.

1 Like

I agree with you btw. i said late last year i want us to ‘throw away’ this year in terms of ladder position and try and get the kids accustomed to AFL level.

I think if we get that going quick enough we can get jobe a flag attempt in his last year or 2.

2 Likes

And as I’ve said before- how the hell do you know that about the list? Unless we give it a shot how will we know what they can achieve.

I do not think this is the time to tank.

Good sides don’t let Carlton and brisbane into matches.

1 Like