List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

We did well at the draft this year.
Pick 11: Jake Stringer
Pick 30: Devon Smith
Pick 48: Adam Saad

6 Likes

Would we look at a mature age rookie to help out with inside mid work?

Unbelievable Woosha didnā€™t mention Bird when interviewed on the topic . He must be a bust.

1 Like

Could the confusion be bc he didnā€™t trigger an extension clause?

We have 3 draft picks available.

Iā€™m guessing we will upgrade 2 rookies, and have one live pick.

So we might only see 2 players delisted now. Unless we go with PSD pick or 2.

Out:

1. Watson
  2. Stanton
  3. Kelly
  4. Hocking

In.

1. Smith
  2. Saad
  3. Stringer

My guess is weā€™ll delist Jackson Merrett and Craig Bird.

Weā€™ll have a live pick, then upgrade McKenna & Long.
Then go to the rookie draft with 2 picks.

1 Like

McKenna?

Promoted last year. Not sure why weā€™d promote Long over Draper.

If we think Draperā€™s a keeper, donā€™t leave him vulnerable like Jenkins.

2 Likes

My bad McKenna did get upgraded

I just donā€™t think theyā€™ll upgrade Draper yet. Thereā€™s no point.

Long has been improving each year regardless of what those who donā€™t watch VFL say. The club recruited him knowing that heā€™d take abit of time. He has all the tools to make it. When heā€™s played AFL heā€™s looked home which is a good sign.

Iā€™d say weā€™d upgrade Long and Mcneice.

2 Likes

I would be very surprised if we upgraded McNeice. The rookie B list position that he holds is an extra list spot. No reason not to stay there.

Long must be upgraded if he is staying. Has been on the rookie list for 3 years now.

2 Likes

0 chance Draper gets upgraded. Simply no point.

2 Likes

I wonder if we will go 38/6 or 39/5 this year. Means we only have to give one year contracts to players via rookie list.

I think the confusion is that most media have no ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  idea.
Believe Dunlopā€™s thread. Itā€™s right 99.9% of the time.

2 Likes

Miles isnā€™t a DFA. Heā€™s been offered a contract.

How anyone can think Howlett will stay over Bird when he only came in at all for forward roles, and we just brought in Smith and Stringer is beyond me.

Ants, for the life of me I canā€™t figure out Birds contract status?

1 Like

I am one who prefers Howlett over Bird.

I just feel Howlettā€™s disposal is better (ie. I feel that Bird does a lot of blind kicks/unmarkable helicopters) .

When Howlett was in the reserves, I think he played mainly inside midā€¦so I am still viewing him as comparable to Bird for that mid depth slot going forwardā€¦ who finished higher in the VFL B&F?

2 Likes

They put a 1 year deal in front of him. He was looking to find a club that would give him senior footy time and a more long term deal. Would be surprised if hes delisted.

I think the theory is based on 2017 where even though Watson and Myers missed games, it was Howlett who was called up instead of Bird (despite playing predominantly forward).

He played 2 games for the year, of course heā€™s gone.
Craig Bird is totally and utterly ordinary.

1 Like

No announcement anywhere about a 2018-19 contract.

Trust Dunnas.

and if he is offered a contract somewhere else with better opportunities I dare say Richmond will do him a favour and delist him allowing him to become a DFA.

1 Like

Especially as they can bring in Lloyd who offers more versatility as well.

It is telling that other bottom dwelling clubs didnā€™t offer him a contract high enough during trade period to have him shift away from his 1yr Tigers offer.

He believes he is just one main injury away from being in Tigers best team however.