List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

I’m in the upgrade Draper, delist McKernan camp.

Whatever happens I prefer that one of Draper and McKernan (or someone else) is on the main list. Depth is too shallow at the moment.

It’s different if richmond’s attitude is different. They might have a year in front of him but have said if he can find someone else with a better offer they’ll bid him a fond farewell, and they don’t really give a ■■■■ about getting pick 97 in exchange. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if we had that attitude on a couple of players, where we might not offer them a new contract until after the draft, and have let them know we’ll just delist them if they find someone who’s keener.

1 Like

Jake Long has improved each year. It doesn’t mean much to those people who don’t watch VFL, but he’s ready to be on the main list now. He simply hasn’t been ready since we drafted him.

3 Likes

I’d think Smack stays. Bell and Luey are two of the most fragile big men in the game and it’s certainly conceivable both could go down with reasonable injuries at the same time. Considering we would hope to be really challenging next year I’d say Smack would be kept as depth and given a 1 year contract. I don’t see Draper as a viable option next year. Although Howlett was given more games than Bird this year it was primarily as a forward, with our list inclusions during trade week I think he will go along with Jacko and Long, Morgan may well be moved to the rookie list.

1 Like

If we’re contending I just can’t see how having to go with McKernan as a #1 ruck helps us. I’d prefer Draper in that role, because at least he had the size required.

1 Like

Fair enough. In some respects, I think Mckernan was pretty stiff this year. Had an excellent game round 1 as a ruck and was pretty good for 3/4 in round 2 against Brisbane with Martin only getting a hold of him in the last quarter. If we were playing finals next year and we had to go with Mckernan or Draper as our first ruck I’d very comfortably go with Mckernan. I also think he absolutely should of played against the Swans in the final as a replacement for Hooker. I just think he offers some reasonable depth across a few positions.

6 Likes

It sounds like (and I’m happy to be corrected by the regular VFL watchers, because I’m only going off my recollection of VFL reports) that Draper played better in the ruck than McKernan in the second half of the season. He obviously wasn’t as good around the ground or up forward.

But considering how raw Draper is and the fact he had no pre-season at all, I think it’s fair to hope for a fairly big improvement if he can get a full pre-season in.
If the club does decide to cut Smack, I think it’s a fairly good sign that they are confident Draper will go past him this pre-season

1 Like

He could walk to the psd. Technically.

1 Like

Nup.
Third year at the club, not in or near the 22, and not really improving.

He was useful this year, just as he was the previous 2 years, but I can’t see a situation where he’s in the best 22. Next!

The situation where he is in the best 22 as I pointed out is if Bell and Leuy are injured, which is a very real possibility. Using the rookie list for flexibility especially ruck flexibility is a smart way to use imo. As you said he has been handy as Brown has in terms of list flexibility/depth - I’m not overly fussed in any event but I would keep him, especially as I see us seriously contending now.

He’ll be a rookie pickup at best.
I’m a fan of his, but he’s a long way from being better than McKernan. Zac Clarke’s knees are shot. He was at his best when he used I is athleticism but after two years of injuries, he looks cooked. He was barely getting by in WAFL.

I don’t take McKernan as short term backup ahead of Clarke. Neither are long term options.

My sentiment exactly.

Disagree. Last year he showed signs he could be an AFL footballer. This year he’s shown little more than an average VFL performance. If he was a no-name VFL player on this year’s performances you would be laughed at suggesting any club would pick him up ahead of Boyse or Hind.

7 Likes

The discussion about needing a ruck when we have 4 1/2 rucks makes me wonder is some dont undetstand the modern game.

1 Like

That doesn’t make him in the best 22, it means he’s 2 injuries away from being in the 22 we put on the park in a given week.

Some people want us to pick up 7 slow inside mids and a ruckman.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind us getting a project tall who is predominantly a forward but can pinch hit in the ruck.
We need someone to take that role, so we can stop using Joe for that. I don’t think there is anyone else on the list who is capable. But ,maybe they already see Draper or Lavender as a project for that, not just as a pure ruckman.
I do understand the problem with finding ruck minutes in the VFL for a player like this. But they can play almost exclusively forward for the next 2 years anyway

As opposed to most people, I don’t think we need to draft any inside mids at all. I think small forward and outside mids are a more pressing concern. We still have very little depth in those areas.

JD turned games at times in the ruck.

I like him rotating through there.

And outside mids don’t seem to be an issue to me either anymore.

1 Like

That’s Luke Lavender.

3 Likes

Exactly. He’s super damaging when he floats around. The more time he’s near the ball, the better for the team.

1 Like