List changes 2017

I’m not in that camp but I think it would be the wrong decision. Do you think we should retain him or not? I’m just interested in your point of view, that’s all

They’ll choose Howlett ahead of Bird. Simply because he offers more on the outside.

1 Like

Ah, I just read your response to Robbo. My bad

But Jesus, relax a bit dude

Relax about what? I was having fun, can’t be more relaxed than that.

Thanks for the answer.

1 Like

I reckon it’s even money both Bird & the Bob Cat both get another year.

SMcK will depend on where they see Draper at, or whether there’s another ruck back up we have in mind out there.

Stants hasn’t announced retirement yet, but,… that would seem on the cards, as does Heaters to be frank.

3 Likes

I would keep Bird and try to offload Howlett.

Howlett would be great spending two years at a club that has a very young midfield (GCS) teaching them work ethic, tackling and add some hardness. Outside that he is cooked.

1 Like

Retired
James Kelly
Brent Stanton
Jobe Watson

Delisted
Yestin Eades
Ben Howlett
Mark Baguley
Heath Hocking
Craig Bird
Jackson Merrett
Alex Morgan

Think Howlett and Baguley are done

Think with Baguley gone, we may look at McVeigh for a year, or a delisted free agent who could play back pocket.
Howlett is good enough for a Rookie spot or another year, but would like to see us play the kids.

Glad Baguley got to 100 games. But he is a bit slow now for the small forwards and think his time is up.

Might even be worthwhile to Develop someone like Mutch to AFL as a back pocket/HBF if McGrath is given his midfield licence next year, or Dea goes back to Half back flank.
I think Long is worth persisting with. Think how long it took Tippa.

Our forward 6 is settled. Back 6 and midfield need improvement.

Next year best 22
B: Gleeson Ambrose Francis
HB: McKenna Hurley Ridley
C: Zaharakis Heppell Parish
HF: Fantasia Daniher Stewart
F: Tippa Hooker Green
R: Bellchambers Merrett McGrath
Int: Laverde, Goddard Myers Colyer
Emg: Langford, Mutch, Begley

Will be interesting to see if Francis can take the third tall role down back, hope he develops his tank
Hartley is probably depth to be used in trade with GWS for hopefully one of their mids. as we still have a KPP depth with one of Brown/Francis

I dont think we need Hocking/Bird/Howeltt as we already have Mutch and Begley missing out on best 22 spots.

Why is Bags gone?

5 Likes

Why is bags staying?

Because Slatts retired and Bags filled his role. In more ways than one.

Baggers has been alright this year. Not sure why everybody is giving him the chop.

8 Likes

It’s tough to be a back pocket.

He’s 30, and has only been alright.
Bags has had some good games and some average ones, if you compare him to Howlett, think they are both good enough to be given a contract, but we should be looking to develop a young guy there -McNeice, / Heppell jnr or trading in another player better than Baguley.

2 Likes

Yes but you also need to retain some level of depth, wholesale changes simply because a player reaches 30 isn’t necessarily the best option either.

Bags has been okay and will be fine for one more year to provide leadership, stability and depth.

3 Likes

IF you compare him to Howlett, award him the Brownlow.

He’s been better than “alright” I reckon.

4 Likes

Baguley FMD… he’s played every game this year until last week. It’s highly unlikely he will be delisted.

We have 2 national draft spots, and 1 rookie spot already available. In addition to that I’ve got 8 more guys that are out of contract and played bugger all games this year.

The end of year conversation around Baguley will take around 10 seconds I reckon.

14 Likes

I think I agree with every bit of this.

I’d also say the actions on some older players like Bird and Howlett depend a little on what we do in trading. If we (for example) got Kelly and Pittard, well you’d say we’re fighting for finals and maybe you keep extra depth. If we get nobody (other than say a Balic), then depth is not so important, although a little leadership is.

• List item

Baguley definitely gets another year for mine. But I suspect next year will be his last

11 Likes

I agree with this.

I suspect we will be bringing in the best small defensive player available in the country during this draft / trade period. I don’t know who that is, but it is how we have filled that role in the recent past. I don’t think they’ll draft a kid for the role, I think it will be someone 21+ in age.

I’m not completely convinced the club think McNiece is the answer, but he will get given a good go at it in 2018 in my opinion. Assuming the whiplash isn’t an ongoing issue for him.

1 Like