List changes 2017

Maybe we should have a thread for Retirements and Delistings (Announced).

Blitz’d

I can change the name. Either to your suggestion, or make this one “discussions”.

You just know this is what’ll happen to Jackson Merrett, right?

I wouldn’t have thought Merrett was any chance, simply because he has been around for a while and I think the club are confident they know his ceiling.

I could see them going down that path with Morgan though.

2 Likes

Two threads, and change the name of this one. No need to move posts into the new Announced one.

I am pretty sure it was only for this year that he signed on for. http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-04-01/not-going-anywhere

Done.

There was a lot of talk that all the players were getting “standard contracts + 1 extra year” due to the saga, except the oldest players. This appears to have been hogwash.

And on a side note, indicates the team must really rate Myers to have given him a three year deal.

I agree with having an “announced changes” thread.

But now - what’s the difference between this thread and this one: https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/list-build-where-are-we-where-are-we-going-next

I suppose the current one will focus a little more on who is to be cut. The other is more taking a long term view on how we should be building/changing the list, what type of players should be drafted/traded for, as well as who should be cut.

My thoughts exactly. We’ve had a good run with injuries this year and people want a massive clean out? It would be different if there was 10+ on the list all year. We need coverage even if they end up playing VFL.

Next year is the draft to go in with more picks not this year. Can’t see why we can’t have Bird and Bobcat on the list if we are also wanting to cull Merret with all the retirings. It Seriously culls the midfield depth before the youngsters have proven they’re capable of filling the void.

5 Likes

You can’t talk common sence in here…

Those pointing to how many kids we have blooded this year ignore the mass blooding last season, and the very lucky run with injuries this year.

As it stands, we have 3 players and a rookie to replace, and we haven’t cut anyone yet. Ignoring potential trades etc we have our first 3 rounds already spent, how much deeper do you want to go?

2 Likes

We that’s just it. They reckon this draft falls away sharply after 30. I’d hate to be filling it with freshies if we had a half dozen picks. Complicates it further if we spend picks on Kelly should he nominate us.

???

1 Like

Even if the 18 year olds are shallow, you can use more picks on state league players…

And I don’t know how this rookie list abolishment or whatever is going to work, but I like the idea of maximising the number of players on 1 year contracts and just lock-in or delist from these players annually after you quickly find which ones can make the grade.

It’s just that rookies (excluding Category B) will now be allowed to play at any time, there doesn’t need to be a long term injury or anything.

1 Like

all the good work we did last year in terms of getting young players a taste of senior footy and seeing what we had, could’ve been expanded upon this year. I’ll view this as a tokenistjc season if we don’t win our first final in forever.

Yes its a ■■■■ position with owing the banned players but come on, some got more than their share of games whilst others (stants and hocking) got turfed from the get go.

Then you get on your pedestal about

You can’t talk common sence in here…

when in terms of list development we’ve regressed this year, yes we debuted begley and mcgrath, but we could’ve done so much more.

3 Likes

On last year I think it’s worth noting that port, collingwood, gold coast, hawthorn, richmond, sydney and brisbane debuted as many or more players than us, so it’s not like we were some crazy outlier with our 6 players.

Hmm, we debuted:

Parish
Francis
Hartley
Brown
Walla
Redman
Long

So seven debuted, not 6.

Its also worth noting that McKenna, Laverde, Langford, Fantasia and Hams had 24 games played between them (4.8 each), so they were pretty close to spring chickens.

(for obvious reasons I’m excluding Leuy, Bird, Kelly and Dea. But we did give a lot of guys their first EFC game).