List changes 2017

Mitch Brown played 15 games at Geelong. So 6, not 7.

1 Like

Hmm, good point. But then add him to the spring chickens group. Which Asbhy with 10 games could be added to as well. The reality is we gave heaps of game time to a heap of players who were either new, or had played a handful of AFL games.

1 Like

We found 4 new best 22 players this year which is very successful. McGrath, McKenna, Green and Stewart.

We gave significant games to 3 second year players. Tippa, Parish and Hartley.

We gave some games to Langford, Laverde, Begley, Francis and McNeice

We could have done more, but people arguing that we’ve done nothing are just wrong.

2 Likes

Debuted 6,… blooded a shitt load more.

Also,… got many many more games into our debutants on average than any other team mentioned, & by a streak you’d think.

1 Like

I’d rather keep Jerrett and Long than Howlett and Bird

5 Likes

Haha. Kidding right?

1 Like

No way. I’m not saying either Jerrett or Long are any good, but at least with their age there is still some hope each of them could improve. The other 2 will only get worse.
Plus we need pace and we need to get rid plodders.

1 Like

Average was definitely higher because three of our debutantes played basically the whole season (11.5 for us, 8.6 for richmond and the pies the next closest). Whether 3 more games is “many, many more” is subjective I guess.

The pies got more games from their 2nd year players. DeGoey 20, Maynard 20, Moore 17, Cox 11, Goodyear 2 compared to Langford 17, McKenna 12, Laverde 9, Long 3. I didn’t bother looking through all the rest, although I’d guess that the Lions were playing a substantial number of 1st & 2nd year players too.

We did play a bunch of younger players last year, and more than we otherwise would have, I’m not disputing that. My point I guess was more that our 2016 wasn’t unprecedented or even that uncommon in terms of exposing young players; it was about on par with what you’d expect from a bad and/or injury ravaged team.

we’ve had very little output from 3 and arguably more spots in the 22 all year (Myers, Howlett, Colyer - Jobe patchy). We gave Langford 2 or 3 chances in Myers’ spot, and debuted Begley well after the fact in the Howlett ish HFF role. We could have, but didn’t, give any number of guys a spot in Colyer’s gig.
When we did actually turn to younger guys to solve a problem, it has actually succeeded - McKenna (over Stants/Myers), Gleeson (over Dea) have both actually added to their game and solidified their roles.
That’s what makes it particularly annoying, to me. The form was lacking from the seniors, the coaches have shown they can develop young guys, and the form was there from the kids, but we didn’t, because…??

2 Likes

This is probably one of my biggest gripes this season. I can’t think of any young guys who have come in and let the team down

Oh they’ve mostly had a poor game or two, but none have had 12-15 weeks to get it right.

I hope your pain is nearly over HAP, I think Howlett over Begley has been the biggest mistake.

I think all bets will be off next year when it comes to favoring the older players when it is marginal who is showing the best form.

I have a hunch that Begley will give us something special, at least in chunks with what is left of the year, and maybe he would be toast by now if we had played him earlier, given the base he has come off.

Next year we should be looking at Langford getting a proper run at it. Parish spending more time in the guts, we’ll find out if Franga is going to be the player we are all hoping for, Ridley and Mutch will definitely get a get a run. Lav will also.

And who knows what new players we will get.

2 Likes

Our list, outside of Hird/Lloyd/Lucas/Fletcher has basically been one giant depth team for the better part of two decades, with a few players having good seasons every so often mixed in.

3 Likes

Most years there are 2 or 3 guys who weren’t on the list the previous year who become regulars in the best 22. McGrath, Green and Stewart this year. It would be good if next year there are a couple of new mids who become best 22

I am more excited by him than any other kid we have.

McGrath?

Parish?
Francis? (Personally I’m not very excited by Francis)

At what age does kid end?
Merrett
Fanta

Good point.

Good coaching.

2 Likes

Zerrett and Fanta are already there, although they’re young I’ve stopped counting them as kids.

Great that you are that excited about BBB but this is hard to fathom with the list we have.

If BBB got as good as Parish and McGrath are already that is a huge win for pick 31… Anything more is a bonus

1 Like

I’ve told HAP a zillion times to stop exaggerating.

4 Likes