List Management and Trading Thread

Rather than tainting player and Match review threads and creating hysterical post loss rants,  I thought we should start a place where we can constructively debate everything Merve and Adrian need to be working on between now and silly season. What do we need? Who do we need? Who needs to go? Will we rookie Tippa?

Dale Thomas. Eddie Betts, Adam Cooney and Taylor Adams are all names being bandied around at the moment and each has their merits.

Part of our problem is Paddy, Hurley, Goddard and Jobe are all on big coin plus and long term deals. Whether or not they are front-ended is another thing but, with Heppell and Carlisle likely to demand big bucks on their next contracts, we don't have much room to move in our cap.

What are the missing puzzle pieces? taking into consideration that we need to challenge in the next 2-3 years, whilst Jobe and BJ are up and about.

* We need 1 Genuine Small Forward.

* We need 2 ball winning inside mids with pace

* We need 1 more creative line breaking HBF (dempsey goes down and we're screwed)

* We need 1 back-up ruckman

http://bomberblitz.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67-the-end-of-year-broom-who-will-be-swept-away/page-1

Was just trying to make something rational without the hysteria and B.S. of that thread. I was clearly deluded.

Rather than tainting player and Match review threads and creating hysterical post loss rants,  I thought we should start a place where we can constructively debate everything Merve and Adrian need to be working on between now and silly season. What do we need? Who do we need? Who needs to go? Will we rookie Tippa?

Dale Thomas. Eddie Betts, Adam Cooney and Taylor Adams are all names being bandied around at the moment and each has their merits.

Part of our problem is Paddy, Hurley, Goddard and Jobe are all on big coin plus and long term deals. Whether or not they are front-ended is another thing but, with Heppell and Carlisle likely to demand big bucks on their next contracts, we don't have much room to move in our cap.

What are the missing puzzle pieces? taking into consideration that we need to challenge in the next 2-3 years, whilst Jobe and BJ are up and about.

* We need 1 Genuine Small Forward.

* We need 2 ball winning inside mids with pace

* We need 1 more creative line breaking HBF (dempsey goes down and we're screwed)

* We need 1 back-up ruckman

Also need a genuine tall forward who can kick 40 goals a season.

Hurley has hands like concrete and is an unreliable kick at goal.  Gumbleton not up to AFL standard, Crameri needs to get fit and then pull his finger out. 

Also need a genuine tall forward who can kick 40 goals a season.

Hurley has hands like concrete and is an unreliable kick at goal.  Gumbleton not up to AFL standard, Crameri needs to get fit and then pull his finger out. 

Not wanting to put all our eggs in one basket, but, I'd expect Joe to play the majority of games in the seniors next year. And with a strong pre-season, I can't see why he couldn't kick that many goals. The talent is there, it's just the physical presence he needs to establish.

I also don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Fletch retires, Hurley goes back and Gumby stays at a high CHF - Clearing out the F50 for JD.

Perhaps we should wait and see what picks we are allowed to use before starting trade and draft threads.

Perhaps we should wait and see what picks we are allowed to use before starting trade and draft threads.

If it takes peoples mind off all the other bullshit, I say let it ride. 

If it takes peoples mind of all the other bullshit, I say let it ride. 

Agreed. Sal, with all due respect, this place is like group therapy for most of us at the moment.

Happy to get the thread deleted if and when the sheeyat hits the fan.

Trade bait. Gumbleton. Davey Hardingham. Pears. Crameri. Jetta

These are the only players with any currency that other clubs may look at

Retire/ delist Hille. Lovet- Murray possibly Winderlic and 1 of above if not traded

The draft is very thin this year but must have a min of 3 draft picks so trading for a low pick is essential

I would not pick up an free agent or restricted older player

I would try and trade with GWS for one of their surplus midfielders or first or second round pick with several of our trade bait players

not sure which one, but we need to trade one of our talls for a quick, skilled outside midfielder

id LOVE dale thomas. he’d be a perfect fit for our needs

not sure which one, but we need to trade one of our talls for a quick, skilled outside midfielder
id LOVE dale thomas. he'd be a perfect fit for our needs

We'd never get that deal done. 

They would want a Pig or Dempsey for Thomas.

This year we'd have to move either Cramers or TBell. 

I'd only do that for a Motlop and even then I don't think either of those players would do the trick. 

We'd never get that deal done. 

They would want a Pig or Dempsey for Thomas.

This year we'd have to move either Cramers or TBell. 

I'd only do that for a Motlop and even then I don't think either of those players would do the trick. 

Don't have to trade for Thomas. He's a free agent.

Don't have to trade for Thomas. He's a free agent.

Couldn't afford him then.

Not with BJ on board at 700k per year 

Couldn't afford him then.

Not with BJ on board at 700k per year 

BJ's not the problem, its the guys on big money doing very little that make it hard to get the players we need. Hurley's supposedly on 500k + as is Ryder.  Too much paid for too little right there.

BJ's not the problem, its the guys on big money doing very little that make it hard to get the players we need. Hurley's supposedly on 500k + as is Ryder.  Too much paid for too little right there.

Didn't want to go there lest this thread turn into another Hurley thread. 

But I agree 100%.

It ■■■■■ me that threads like this exist at a time like this.

Every name mentioned so far has been to hell and back this year for the club, and we should show them some respect  by not speculating like keyboard list managers until this season is over.

FFS

Delist:  Egan

In: Somebody who can coach and teach our players how to be decent forwards. It's getting beyond a joke. Some of our guys have actually gone backward in their forward play. We haven't had any system all year.

It ■■■■■ me that threads like this exist at a time like this.

Every name mentioned so far has been to hell and back this year for the club, and we should show them some respect  by not speculating like keyboard list managers until this season is over.

FFS

I reckon you might be overreacting a tad. 

Would love to have Gus back. His departure was somewhat numbed and dismissed through the Goddard hysteria. Would have kicked a fair few more goals than Kommer who is playing his role now and would be doing the other parts of Kommer’s role also.

I think a small forward is essential, whether we put Tippa on the rookie list or draft D.Garlett, something has to be done in this department.

Would like for someone to take Baguley’s spot also, I know some will disagree but this is my view, we aren’t getting anywhere with these ordinary players who we look at through rose coloured glasses. eg. Gumbleton, Kommer, Baguley, Colyer, Dell’Olio to name a few.

I would ideally like that by the start of next season we have found replacements for Baguley and Kommer unless they improve dramatically such as a Pig or Carlisle this season.

We cry out for most obviously that Monfies/LeCras type HF/4th lead up tall. Does anyone know why we didn’t offer Monfries that extra year he was looking for? Be interesting to see why.

Those are just my thoughts anyway.

I’ve missed the last two games as I’m on holiday. My thoughts are:

List Changes

NLM and Hille to retire.

Fletcher, should be up to him. Who knows if he’ll continue on or not. Winderlich is probably in a similar boat. Boy we need him on field - but if he can’t stay on field he may decide to call it quits. Hasn’t been an easy road for him.

I can’t see Gumby staying. I don’t think he should. He possibly has one shot to get a good contract and playing time, and he should go for it. Best case for us is a bidding war between Bulldogs and Carlton and we get the Bulldogs 2nd rounder. More likely, a late 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder.

I can’t see Hardingham not walking for more game time. Unlikely to get much beyond what we got for Jenkins - a later pick upgrade.

Jetta may want out for game time, or we may want to push him. Either way, no more than a late pick upgrade in my view. Maybe packaged with Gumby for that 2nd round Bulldogs pick.

The interesting ones are the Hurley/Pears/Fletcher dynamic. We appear to have a pretty good 3rd tall replacement in Steinberg. I don’t know what the currency of say a Pears is, or whether he will want out for more game time. I haven’t seen the last two games so not sure if a Carlisle/Hooker/Pears/Fletcher back line is working or not, or if it is too tall. If it is too tall, can Pears play the 3rd tall role well enough?

From a purely Machiavellian point of view, we’d probably be better trading Pears and promoting Steinberg. Pears would have more currency (2nd round?). But how that would play out with the list who knows.

Davis must be in a tough place as a later pick who just doesn’t by reports seem to have done much this year in the VFL.

So we probably have 3 certain outs (Hille, NLM, Davis), three probable to get game time (Hardingham, Gumby, Jetta), two possible retirements and the possibility that Pears might go (but if so, probably replaced by Steinberg). Possibly promote Dalgiesh to cover Winders/Demps. So 5 to 8 senior list draft spots. I can’t see us wanting any more picks than that no matter how some want the list purged.

Trading in

I would be happy to give up our first round pick for an appropriate player (assuming our salary cap is sufficient). Our window is opening now, so if we could bolster the mid-field or forward line rather than developing a youngster I would consider it well worth it. Hell, I’d have done it last year if it wasn’t for the fact we were getting JD.

Drafting

So if we say one of Fletch & Winders retires, we have 6 draft spots. In the hopeful position we have our picks, we got a high 2nd rounder for Gumby and a high 3rd rounder for Hardingham. Therefore we would have one pick probably 11 => 15, one in 20=>25, one in 30 => 35 and three later picks. Not exactly brilliant.

The focus has to be on inside mids and good HFs. The good news is there should be a number of good inside options at our first pick. The bad news is the draft does appear to taper off quite quickly. So it would probably be inside mid, outside mid/HF flanker, and then best available who is under 190cm and not a pure defender.

We should treat the defence as done since the small backs are pretty good and we have DVU and Ashby as cover. Just not a priority. We need players who can kick goals and have potential to play outside mid, and inside clearance winners.

Summary

So overall, I don’t think its too complicated. Our list changes will be dominated by who wants out, since with Davis/NLM/Hille/Fletch/Winders we probably have more than enough picks already. Most likely candidates to request a change are Hardy, Gumby, Jetta and Pears. We should try and draft midfielders and small forwards. If an opportunity to trade comes along for a midfielder, happy to put up the first pick (or more).