List Management and Trading Thread

It ■■■■■ me that threads like this exist at a time like this.

Every name mentioned so far has been to hell and back this year for the club, and we should show them some respect  by not speculating like keyboard list managers until this season is over.

FFS

C'mon Ben, It's like you're a vegetarian teen yelling at everybody for eating meat!

I think we're all in a dark place at the moment, so, any 'rational' (this IS blitz) conversation that can serve as distraction from the impending supp-doom, should be encouraged. As I said to Sal earlier, I am more than happy for the thread to be gurged. RESPECT.

How many 

* We need 2 ball winning inside mids with pace

of these are there? Realistically? maybe half a dozen (Pendles, Gaz, Ziebell...umm... Swan, Jack) in the entire game?

By all means, if they're there, we'll have 8, to take away please, no fries thanks... but I think we're being slightly optimistic

We definitely need to recruit pace. And we need to recruit at least one ball-winner. But we need to be realistic.

Guys who can run and create, for a run and create role. And guys who smash in and win it, for a smash in and win it role. To have both, and X Y and Z, gets a bit silly at times.

I think HM puts it best, something like "with no obvious major deficiencies" (sic). Ie, an Alex Browne type pace is OK, a Sam Lonergan type pace is not.

"Jet midfielders" don't come around often, for a reason.

How many 

of these are there? Realistically? maybe half a dozen (Pendles, Gaz, Ziebell...umm... Swan, Jack) in the entire game?

By all means, if they're there, we'll have 8, to take away please, no fries thanks... but I think we're being slightly optimistic

We definitely need to recruit pace. And we need to recruit at least one ball-winner. But we need to be realistic.

Guys who can run and create, for a run and create role. And guys who smash in and win it, for a smash in and win it role. To have both, and X Y and Z, gets a bit silly at times.

I think HM puts it best, something like "with no obvious major deficiencies" (sic). Ie, an Alex Browne type pace is OK, a Sam Lonergan type pace is not.

"Jet midfielders" don't come around often, for a reason.

Truth. You can add Dangerfield to that select list. and I'd agree with HMs take.

We do severely lack pace post 2009. I think the combo of Knights' anti-defence game plan and 2 or 3 quick guys on our list at the time, gave us a rep for being a quick team. When that is far from the case.

Problem is, Given the nature of Hird's game plan. We are hugely dependent on having that run and carry, so, when Licha and Dempsey go down we are screwed.

As we've seen with Geelong and Sydney (who were long term plodders) the injection of pace, creativity and ability to break the lines is imperative in beating defence crazed teams like Hawthorn, collingwood and Freo. And from a football point of view, it's makes for great viewing - and in turn puts bums on seats!

So, in summary - We need someone with pace and creativity and preferably the ability to kick goals. Is Billy Hartung an impossibility?

Get Higgins in for Jetta, Both teams would be happy, Even though he's injury prone he could be exactly what we need, I'd take the risk especially as Jetta is done as an Essendon player.

Get Higgins in for Jetta, Both teams would be happy, Even though he's injury prone he could be exactly what we need, I'd take the risk especially as Jetta is done as an Essendon player.

No way the dogs are going to do a straight swap. We will be lucky if the dogs will give us pick 80 for a liability we need off our books. 

Rather than tainting player and Match review threads and creating hysterical post loss rants,  I thought we should start a place where we can constructively debate everything Merve and Adrian need to be working on between now and silly season. What do we need? Who do we need? Who needs to go? Will we rookie Tippa?

Dale Thomas. Eddie Betts, Adam Cooney and Taylor Adams are all names being bandied around at the moment and each has their merits.

Part of our problem is Paddy, Hurley, Goddard and Jobe are all on big coin plus and long term deals. Whether or not they are front-ended is another thing but, with Heppell and Carlisle likely to demand big bucks on their next contracts, we don't have much room to move in our cap.

What are the missing puzzle pieces? taking into consideration that we need to challenge in the next 2-3 years, whilst Jobe and BJ are up and about.

* We need 1 Genuine Small Forward.

* We need 2 ball winning inside mids with pace

* We need 1 more creative line breaking HBF (dempsey goes down and we're screwed)

* We need 1 back-up ruckman

1) what team has a genuine small forward nowadays... we need genuine midfielders who can go forward, or small forwards who can have impact in the midfield (see Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn)

2) we need more midfielders full stop, and ones who are impacting the game, we are all still far too inconsistent and rely on too few, too often,

3) see point 1 and 2 and this becomes less of an issue

4) free agency...no need to burn a pick unless it's a rookie selection, we have Ryder, Bellchambers and Daniher no need to waste picks and trades on rucks we need midfielders and key forwards (who can play like a fwd)

Trade Ryder to GWS for Toby Greene. I'm sick of watching Ryder make one big leap at the start of the game then stroll around the field doing nothing for the rest of the game.

Trade Ryder to GWS for Toby Greene. I'm sick of watching Ryder make one big leap at the start of the game then stroll around the field doing nothing for the rest of the game.

LOLwut?
He's been one of our best in the last 6 weeks. Yet again he was our best tall.

No way the dogs are going to do a straight swap. We will be lucky if the dogs will give us pick 80 for a liability we need off our books. 

Depends on how McCartney sees Jetta and Higgins.

LOLwut?
He's been one of our best in the last 6 weeks. Yet again he was our best tall.

HAP we all know ruckman hit their peak at about 19-20, so his best years are behind him, not in front of him.....

Toby Greene is not among the best half-dozen on-ballers on GWS' list. He had a great ball-winning season last year, but this year he has gone backwards, and he butchers the ball often.

Ward, Shiel, Treloar, Adams, Coniglio, Scully, and Whitfield would all be more valuable than Greene now, and a few others like O'Rourke, Hoskin-Elliott, Smith and Tyson will probably pass him in a couple of years. Toby Greene is the new Rhys Palmer.

We would be lucky if someone was willing to pay Jetta's contract out. Higgins may be injury prone, but he has demonstrated that he is capable of consistently delivering the goods. Jetta has never consistently delivered anything that a football team would want.

Wish we went hard for koby stevens last year :(

We would be lucky if someone was willing to pay Jetta's contract out. Higgins may be injury prone, but he has demonstrated that he is capable of consistently delivering the goods. Jetta has never consistently delivered anything that a football team would want.

I'm obviously watching a different Shaun Higgins.
He's average.
He might have good footy in him still, but he's not shown it for a fair while

I'm obviously watching a different Shaun Higgins.
He's average.
He might have good footy in him still, but he's not shown it for a fair while

2009-2011, when he was able to string together some football, Higgins played some pretty handy football. He averaged 20+ possessions and over a goal/game. In 2009 he kicked 32 goals, and was even discussed as a potential Brownlow medalist. I'm not saying he's a world-beater, but he has proven that he can produce a high standard of football. What three year stretch of football can you point to that Jetta has achieved similar results.

crameri for ryan griffin???

I'm just as annoyed with Leroy too, but the way we look at our players as both supporters and EFC supporters changes our viewpoint and valuation.

Can see WB giving up pick 40 for Leroy. Maybe better.

crameri for ryan griffin???

you would take it in a heartbeat, but the dogs wouldn't go for that in a million years.

Retrospectively I wonder if there's any regret not drafting Garlett last year.  We're not likely to get a chance to have another shot at him, reckon he'll be gone nice and early at this year's draft.  Just seemed a long term solution to a problem becoming more and more obvious with each passing week at EFC.

For mine, NLM and Hile will retire. 

Gumby will leave for opportunity (unless Fletch decides to call it a day)

Davis delisted

Jetta, Hardingham possible trades

Priorities this off season should be: A small defender (sick of small/mid sized forward carving us up!)

A small, crumbing forward

Quick outside midfielder with precision kicking skills

Or a running defender to allow Dempsey to play as afforementioned outside mid.

Retrospectively I wonder if there's any regret not drafting Garlett last year.  We're not likely to get a chance to have another shot at him, reckon he'll be gone nice and early at this year's draft.  Just seemed a long term solution to a problem becoming more and more obvious with each passing week at EFC.

For mine, NLM and Hile will retire. 
               Gumby will leave for opportunity (unless Fletch decides to call it a day)
               Davis delisted
               Jetta, Hardingham possible trades

Priorities this off season should be: A small defender (sick of small/mid sized forward carving us up!)
                                                        A small, crumbing forward
                                                        Quick outside midfielder with precision kicking skills
                                                        Or a running defender to allow Dempsey to play as afforementioned outside mid.

A small fwd in the Monfries mould and a running back in the Houli mould?