Lloyd v Others

Lloyd and Fevola were the last of the stay at home full forwards.
We won’t see that again as long as the rules and game style stays as is.

Comparing Lloyd to others solely on goals kicked is unfair. If that were the case, Lloyd would rate ahead of Franklin.

Having said that, I’d have Lloyd ahead of Tredrea but at the same level as Pavlich. Even though there are more games where Pavlich and Tredrea put the team on their shoulders and won them the game. Lloyd was amazingly consistent across his career in a team that was so well balanced, he didnt have to take over games the way the other two had to.

Then again…
It’s Carey’s list…
I would expect him to rate certain players lower because of the team rivalry they had during his career.
You ask any North player from the late 90s which team they hated most and they’d be likely to say Essendon.

It seems a lot don’t remember how good he was around the turn of the century. Pretty much every lead was either a clunk mark or kept front and centre for the crumbers. Guy was a freak.

(Kids, ask your parents about leads and crumbing.)

Lloyd and Fevola were the last of the stay at home full forwards. We won't see that again as long as the rules and game style stays as is.

Comparing Lloyd to others solely on goals kicked is unfair. If that were the case, Lloyd would rate ahead of Franklin.

Having said that, I’d have Lloyd ahead of Tredrea but at the same level as Pavlich. Even though there are more games where Pavlich and Tredrea put the team on their shoulders and won them the game. Lloyd was amazingly consistent across his career in a team that was so well balanced, he didnt have to take over games the way the other two had to.

Then again…
It’s Carey’s list…
I would expect him to rate certain players lower because of the team rivalry they had during his career.
You ask any North player from the late 90s which team they hated most and they’d be likely to say Essendon.

If you can remember who they are

It seems a lot don't remember how good he was around the turn of the century. Pretty much every lead was either a clunk mark or kept front and centre for the crumbers, or throwing the lower legs backward, while simultaneously shunting the chest forward Guy was a freak.

(Kids, ask your parents about leads and crumbing, and diving.)

EFA.

It seems a lot don't remember how good he was around the turn of the century. Pretty much every lead was either a clunk mark or kept front and centre for the crumbers, or throwing the lower legs backward, while simultaneously shunting the chest forward Guy was a freak.

(Kids, ask your parents about leads and crumbing, and diving.)

EFA.

WTF?

Yeah, harsh.

He would often try to mark while falling/diving because it was impossible to defend that. You can only get away with that when you are a great clunker – otherwise you’re on the ground and your opponent is getting an easy rebound.

But if your timing slips and you get less impressive delivery it may not look so good…

It seems a lot don't remember how good he was around the turn of the century. Pretty much every lead was either a clunk mark or kept front and centre for the crumbers. Guy was a freak.

(Kids, ask your parents about leads and crumbing.)

He was brilliant in this regard, he either took the mark or brought it down, rarely beaten. If we had a decent small forward for the second half of his career, ala Betta or Lecras, they would have bagged 40 goals from Lloyd alone.

He was sooooooooo good before his hammy. Reckon he would have taken us to the finals by himself that year.

Off the bone too. ■■■■■■ bad luck.

I didn’t see Lloyd as a diver.
When he led at the ball handler he sprinted towards him. Most other forwards would slow up as they’re approaching the ball, but Lloyd never slowed up. So any little touch in the back would put him way off balance and look like he was diving, when it was just natural.

I know opposition supporters wouldn’t see it that way though.

Lloydy is one of the greatest things to happen to efc and is trying to ■■■■ it all up by sitting next to that hag and 2 fuckwits every week.

Lloyd himself see’s himself as a diver in that period when he was , you know,. … diving.

Out of curiosity, what was careys list of 12? Where did he have Nick Reiwoldt and Johnathan Brown?

1.) Wayne Carey
2.) Wayne Carey
3.) Wayne Carey
4.) Wayne Carey
5.) Wayne Carey
6.) Wayne Carey
7.) Wayne Carey
8.) Wayne Carey
9.) Wayne Carey
10.) Wayne Carey
11.) John Longmire
12.) Wayne Carey

2 Likes

Just so I’m clear, we’re debating the comments from a man who last year said that Sam Mitchell would struggle to get games at other clubs?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/hawthorn/wayne-carey-says-sam-mitchell-might-struggle-to-get-game-at-other-afl-clubs/news-story/aa9fc82eb7e8e539191d0df5d4d53101

1.) Wayne Carey 2.) Wayne Carey 3.) Wayne Carey 4.) Wayne Carey 5.) Wayne Carey 6.) Wayne Carey 7.) Wayne Carey 8.) Wayne Carey 9.) Wayne Carey 10.) Wayne Carey 11.) John Longmire 12.) Wayne Carey
Geez!

How could he possibly squeeze in Longmire ahead of Carey?

He must be on drugs.

Eh. One guy’s opinion. He probably also thinks Fletcher never played on any of the good forwards.

Lloyd was also such a reliable set shot, especially crunch goals where the entire staduim was booing.

Strange comparison
Lloyd should/would be compared to Gehrig, Fev, Lynch, Neitz, N Thompson, S Rocca etc through that era (possibly an aging Modra, Lockett and underperforming Cummings)
Tredrea and Pav would be compared to Hall, a young Riewoldt, Brown, Lucas, A Rocca, N Holland, Richo, aging Carey
Full forwards started disappearing with Port’s 2003 premiership imo

Lloyd ■■■■■ on both Pavlich and Tredrea from a great height. It’s not even a contest. As some have pointed out already, people forget just how good Lloyd was as a 20-21 year old. As for the stay-at-home FF comment, that was maybe a bit later on in the 2000s but as a spring chicken he would regularly take huge marks around the CHF area and dob goals from anywhere.

Another thing is goal kicking accuracy, he is by far one of the best kicks for goal in the modern era, puts any forward currently playing to shame in this regard.

His finals record speaks for itself, multiple 5+ bags and a 5 goal haul in a losing GF to one of the great teams in the modern era.

If it wasn’t for his hammy in 2006 (wasn’t it?) he would have kicked 1,000+, started the season off like a machine, he probably would have dragged us to the finals all by himself.

1 Like

I heard recently that his 5 years from 98-02 were comprable to Coleman… but i couldn’t be a.rsed finding the stats.