Local Cricket 2017/18

Another loss.

Buckley Park made 175. We got bowled out for 151.

Quirk of the fixture - we play them away next week.

That last line has since changed…I’m not sure how this works out but we play them at home tomorrow. More money over the bar!

is it turf wickets and if so are they drier than usual. i just like to visualize the pitch . sorry old cricket tragic

We had a top of the table clash yesterday. On equal points. We batted first and ended up making 220. In reply we rolled them for 140. We played really well. That was the last of the one day games for the season. Three 2 day matches to finish.

Guy from our club made 272 yesterday, I’d be happy with that for the season

5 Likes

The local side has been belted in recent weeks. They called me today asking to play next week after my effort after a few Froffies the other week

2 Likes

Not going to win too many games defending 133.

First runs of the season for me…a 2 not out batting 11.

We held Westmeadows to 170 after being 4/49 at drinks.

Despite a decent opening partnership, we fell 15 runs short.

First game back for more than 3 months after finger surgery. In the 2s v Jacana. Lost the toss and we fielded, good pitch but with the overhead conditions the ball moved around a lot. Rolled them for 72, 36 overs left to bat out the day and we were 3/159 at stumps. I opened and we passed their total without losing a wicket. Ran myself out for 30 coming back for a 2nd. Disappointing to throw away the chance of a big score but nice to spend time in the middle. The win should shore up a finals spot, but we will push for an outright next week which may open the slight chance of finishing 2nd and a home final.

St. Andrews Pascoe Vale won the toss and batted at home. We lost 3 overs in their innings due to rain and therefore we would also face 32 overs.

They would make 209 off their 32 overs, but we managed a decent chase, making 193. Away to Gowanbrae at Campbellfield next week before the semi-finals.

We have a few out so I went up to the 2nds this week. Did something I’ve never done before or will never do again. Hit an all run 6. I hit the ball and ran 3. They tried to run me out and we picked up 3 overthrows. Took me about 3overs to recover. We were rolled for 170. I got a scratchy 27.

5 Likes

I ran 3 3’s in an over once. Took a while for the paramedics to get there.

1 Like

It was a match of firsts this one. I ran a 6 last week and yesterday spent most of the afternoon in hospital. Dived for a ball and landed on my shoulder and did my AC joint. Thats my season done. Shattered I’m going to miss finals.

Gowanbrae 178
We just scraped to 100.

Semi-Final next week but no idea against who or where just yet.

Sorry to hear you got injured BERT. 2nd week of our game and Jacana didn’t even bother to turn up. We won on the 1st week but with the high likelihood of an outright result we will put in a claim for outright points. If successful that would all but sew up a finals berth.

Our ones have won 2 in a row (and had just about every other result go their way for 2 games in a row) and gone from 6th to 3rd. Basically can’t miss now.
Both sides that played the GF last year look like missing.

That happened to us a couple of seasons ago. We passed them in the last over of day 1 and we showed up week 2 to an empty ground. We got the outright points from the league.

Just found out that we’ve been given the competition average points for a win rather than being awarded an outright victory. Given there were 2 other outright results in the 3 game played by opposing clubs, the average was skewed pretty high. We got 14.1 points rather than what we calculated we’d have got for an outright win had we declared overnight and then rolled them again (15.59). Losing 1.5-2 points (had we batted again and slapped another 80-100 runs we’d have got in excess of 16 points) doesn’t sound like much but we are 3rd and only 2.03 points inside the 4, so we need every point we can get…

Cricket league decisions! Spin the chook lotto wheel!

1 Like

What’s the view on the VTCA at the moment? Decisions like that aren’t going to win them too many friends.

The clubs from the southern division that left to form the Cricket Southern Bayside largely couldn’t be happier with the decision. Comp is very professionally ran with 3 dedicated employees from Cricket Victoria. The amount of cricket is also reduced with no mid week T20s and matches finishing earlier with points only available for wins ie no bonus points. The separate white ball finals also add a different perspective as well.

Yeah some of their decisions are baffling to say the least, particularly around weather, be it rain or heat. They’ll call the round off on a Thursday/Friday in one instance, then in exactly the same or worse conditions being forecast they’ll get us to report to grounds. Happened last season. Nothing worse that sitting around until 4 just waiting for the umpire to call play off, then having to pay him for the privilege to do so!

Look if rain or an unsuitable wicket prevented us from winning outright then fair enough, but JCC refused to turn up. We went out there to watch our 1s play and were told their 2s were all at the pub. OK you’re getting beaten but to not turn up at all is out of order. Once we passed their total on Day 1 2 blokes just walked off the field and sat on the sidelines watching. If they don’t give us an outright result, who’s to say that a club might not do the same thing to prevent a team from winning outright which might affect finals positions or even a top 2 finish? If it was the final week of the season and we missed the 4 by half a point or missed out on a home final 1st week you’d be absolutely ropable. We’ve asked them to reconsider, so will see what happens…

2 Likes