Local Cricket 2017/18

NWMCA Brian Moss Shield results:

Gowanbrae (4th) defeated Westmeadows (3rd)
Buckley Park (2nd) defeated St. Albans (5th)
St. Andrews Pascoe Vale (1st) tied with Oak Park (6th)

Our match had no appointed umpire…IN A FINAL! Hence a willing volunteer did the entire match (me).

Seems to be some discussion with regards to next week given the results above.

Buckley Park and Gowanbrae are definitely through and host next week’s finals.

But, given the result between ourselves and St. Andrews, will the association allow Oak Park through or Westmeadows.

Played Barkley St Uniting at home yesterday. A win would seal a finals spot for us as a minimum but with Sydenham/Hillside v East Coburg being 1st v 2nd a SH win and an outright to us and we could sneak into 2nd and get an all-important home final in the semis. Won the toss and fielded, rolled BSU for 55 and at stumps we were 7/144. Plan will be to bat 10-20 overs into next week then stick them in again. I made a very scratchy 15, struggled for timing given how slow their bowling was, much prefer the ball coming on. We lost 2 quick wickets to start then a 59 run partnership for the 3rd wicket got us the win. I was out lbw, fairly plumb so no problem there but annoying when you put in the graft then get sent packing.

At one stage yesterday Oak Park were through. As of now it’s Westmeadows. Confusion reigns as always.

Good luck to anyone playing finals over the weekend. I’m not going to be a good watcher this weekend. Not happy that I’m missing with injury.

In a decent position after Day 1 of our semi final. We bowled first against East Coburg, bowled them out for 176, slightly disappointing as their last wicket put on about 65. We had 12 overs to face and finished 0/31 at stumps. I’m 17 not out overnight. Having an early night then hope to kick on and get a big score tomorrow!

Our club had 4 seniors sides through to semis.
1s posted 193, 3s will chase about 200, 4s posted 177, 6ths (one dayers) went down by about 20.
I think you’d lean towards the runs on the board. Old farts (40yo vets) saluted in their grannie, super old farts (50+ vets) got done.

One of the semis finals in the 2nd grade of the comp…
1/121… 2/164… 3/185… all out 220. And they’ve bowled 3 overs. Fair choke.

1 Like

Fair performance by Oak Park’s 2 day side in the semi-final this weekend.

Yesterday, Strathmore Heights were bowled out for 196 in 52 overs. At stumps, Oak Park were 5/48. But, in a stunning performance today, we would make 9/265.

Next week sees the grand final against Greenvale Kangaroos…which given they finished 4th and us 2nd, should be at home.

Lost, choked badly in the chase. I added 1 run to my overnight total before I tried to play a pull shot to a short ball, kept low, hit me just above the knee roll and the ball tricled onto leg stump. We needed about 25 with 4 wickets in the shed then once we lost our set batsman we caved in. Season over, having a few beers…

Bad luck Smooth.

Our firsts have made the GF. The side I play in lost. An under 14 batted brilliantly and made a ton on Saturday and chasing 300 in any game let alone a final is hard enough. It was tough watching it with my arm in a sling.

Our 1sts got through, just, by 15 runs. One of the old pisspots that hangs around the club got one of the world’s biggest sprays by one of the opposition’s bats, yapping from the far end of the pitch all the way off the park, through the gate, across the little paving area and into the rooms followed by one of the most thoroughly aggressive pad-un-velcroings I’ve ever heard.
Import spinner did the damage with 5 wickets and a runout.

4ths got through very comfortably in a bit of an upset. Posted 177 and bowled them out for 90. First time I’ve really regretted not playing this year.

FHCC v Vermont, 18th & 24th at East Burwood. If you’ve got nothing else on @saladin

I am playing in the big dance this weekend against Burnside springs, hopefully by sunday night I will have premiership medallion number 5 around my neck. # gopaccounited

4 Likes

Oak Park fell at the final hurdle in Vic Kyte Shield in NWMCA.

Made 108 in the first innings and bowled out Greenvale for 117 before stumps yesterday.
Made 7/191 in 31 overs today, setting Greenvale a chase of 182 to win outright off 50 overs. We could only take 3 wickets and so Greenvale take the win after finishing 4th in home and away season.

Our firsts won over the weekend. Chasing 150 passed them 5 down just after tea yesterday. Nursing a very sore head this morning.

2 Likes

Our 1s had a big middle order crash… 1/99 at about 28to 7/170 ish at about 60 overs. Ended up all out in the last over for 225. Last pair put on about 40.
Competitive.

Not a great season for our seniors. Firsts made the semis and our seconds and thirds narrowly missed finals. Only filled in for half a dozen games as my cricket career is winding down. Our u16’s list the GF and our u14’s which I help coach won their GF this weekend. We have produced some pretty good cricketers but this bunch of u14’s is the best group of kids I’ve worked with in 25 years. They finished undefeated on top and we play 40 overs per side on turf and the average score is about 120-140. 6 times this season my lads made 220 plus and in the semi last weekend they made 5/178 and rolled the opposition for 21. The team we played in the GF was also undefeated as our only meeting this season was cancelled due to heat on both weekends. Yesterday we bowled them out in the 39th over for 89. We rocked up this morning and passed them 3 down in the 11th over. One of our state reps came in and hit 42no off 18 balls

1 Like