Local Cricket 2023/24

Our league have called it off already.

1 Like

We’ve been called off as well.

Ours all called off
Think some of the lads are organising a card game for the day :rofl:

1 Like

We’re still on, but looking dodgy, so at least we get paid. We have 1 Div 1 umpire who moved to Mount Gambier, so on rainy days he doesn’t make the trip. He normally does Women’s games on Sunday too, so on a fine weekend that’s $300. And this week he was scheduled for a rep game , which would have made it $350.

Anyway, he’s pulled out so I’m up to Div 1 between the team I had rain issues with a fortnight ago, and the team I did Thursday night. At least we won’t be getting blinded by the sun today.

Edit…and as I was sending this message, the ping came through that we’re off.

1 Like

We got called off as well. Our league rarely calls it off so it’s a surprise.

1 Like

Paid cricketers will be spewing, 2 weekends in a row called off.

Ours get a yearly sign on fee so are probably happy that they can choose to work today at their normal jobs or do overtime :rofl:
We don’t pay exorbitantly though

1 Like

The comp I’m in is strictly amateur, no paid players, or at least that’s what is supposed to occur. Coach (non-playing) is the only one getting paid. But yeah that’s 3 weeks in a row we’ve been called off. The first one was a Sunday game and it chucked it down the Saturday night. Next week already not looking great, especially Wednesday/Thursday, which could hamper pitch preparation.

Junior cricket was off yesterday for matches today here in Sydney given the heat. I’m thankful as there was no way the girls I coach were going to have a bar of running around in the high 30s - especially my 2 daughters!

The match would just be finishing now and the temp is sitting at 38.9.

They just need to make sure their other half still thinks cricket is on and they are good to go all day!

Unfortunately it is absolutely bucketing down now so even the most naive partners won’t fall for it :rofl:

That’s stiff. It was always great when the sun came out 5 minutes after the game was called off!

1 Like

Finally got a chance to play yesterday as the weather was kind, both during the week and on match day. We finished the pre-Xmas period on a winning note, and it was extra special because I was asked to captain in the absence of our usual skipper. Unlike him I actually won the toss and sent the opposition in. We dropped some early catches (2 in 3 balls) before we struck in the same over as I took a sharp chance in the gully. Despite us facing an ultra aggressive batting line-up on a small ground with a somewhat weak bowling attack, we did ever so well to restrict them to 9/178 off their 45, which would’ve been less if not for 6 or 7 dropped catches.

I asked the openers to bat normal given the asking rate was a tick under 4. Nek minnit 0/60 off 6! We were 1/90 off 10, so the run rate was never an issue, but wickets were. I went in at 5, made 28 fairly easily before getting one that held up and was caught at cover off a leading edge looking to work to leg. When I got out it was 5/160, which then became 8/176. Finally a thick outside edge off a cut shot got us the win. Pretty sure I aged about 10 years as we had a late innings collapse, but happy we got over the line eventually!

2 Likes

It was good to be back out there after a couple of washouts.
We lost the toss and bowled and they batted well and ended up 3/172 off there 40overs. For some reason I opened the bowling and ended up 0/15 off 8 overs. Ridiculous for me as I can’t bowl.
In the chase I opened and we put on over 100 for the first wicket until I was out for 44. We lost another one quickly and the cruised to victory by 8 wickets with 6 overs in the shed.

2 Likes

Our association saw the writing on the wall with the Windies and scheduled our comp to play this weekend. We played our most hated rivals from just down the road and despite us flogging them outright a month ago they gave our gun batter an almighty send off when he was dismissed cheaply. Played them in a one dayer today and he hit a 31 ball century on his way to way to 153no and the umpire actually ended our innings after 35 overs due to time with us 3/337. Knocked them over for 82

Personally had to have been one of my worst days on a cricket field yesterday even though we had a comprehensive win. Dropped a catch whilst fielding, what should’ve been a relatively easy take at deep cover ended up with the ball bursting through my hands, hitting me in the eye. Lucky I had sunglasses on otherwise the damage would’ve been worse. Got a reasonable bruise around the eye from where my sunnies pushed into my face. Somehow the sunnies remain undamaged. And then to top it off got a first ball duck, got one what went underground and was trapped plumb in front.

Cricket can be a prick of a game sometimes!

1 Like

I had a GF like that. Dropped a simple catch and made a duck. We lost by 1 run.

1 Like

We had a great win over the weekend. Won the toss and batted on a super quick ground. We lost our best bat in the 2nd over. I batted 3 and was out in the 20th over for 45. Best I’ve batted all season and threw away a really big score. We ended up 245 off our 40 overs with the over opener getting 100 off the last ball of the innings.
The opposition didn’t even try for the runs and we got them all out in the last over for 140.
We are currently 3rd on the ladder but the 4 sides below us are within a game. We play 2nd this week in a 2 day game.

1 Like

I made a diamond duck in a GF while opening, still won but it was very hollow victory.

Did you dump her after that disgraceful display?

1 Like