Local cricket thread. 2014/15

We did something yesterday that I’ve never heard of being done before. We won outright on the first day. Rolled them fo 50 in an hour. Knocked up 4-100 off 20 overs. Rolled them for 70 and had to make 20 in ten overs.

after a disastrous last outing (bowled for three, convinced my eyesight was failing, dropping a tough chance and then losing the game!), the worm turned again today.  held the opposition to 160-odd off their 36. which was pretty good going on a fast and vast ground.  batted at #3, got 40 (compulsory retired), so did number 4 and we got the runs with a handful of overs to spare.

Only available 1 day, down in the 6ths, made crap all, had to open bowling as 1 of the normal openers was crook and another was knackered after batting 20-odd overs (!). Took 2/30, the 1st an absolute screamer full length dive at gully, two dollies (and a tough chance) put down.

Second time I've opened the bowling in about 5 years, bowled straight out, bar 2 blokes they weren't much.

1sts 2nds (outright) 3rds (outright) 5ths & 6ths got up.

We did something yesterday that I've never heard of being done before. We won outright on the first day. Rolled them fo 50 in an hour. Knocked up 4-100 off 20 overs. Rolled them for 70 and had to make 20 in ten overs.

We did that against Moorabbin one day...bowled them out for about 75 by about 2.45...2/60 at tea, and our guy who was a wonderful bat when there was no pressure made 150 in 70 minutes...we declared at 3/240 and bowled them out again in the 2nd last over. Their captain was one of the last 2 in and threatened to run his partner out if he didn't get out. Buggered if he was coming back next week.
I don't think I got a bat or a bowl...well, certainly wouldn't have batted.

We did something yesterday that I've never heard of being done before. We won outright on the first day. Rolled them fo 50 in an hour. Knocked up 4-100 off 20 overs. Rolled them for 70 and had to make 20 in ten overs.

We did that against Moorabbin one day...bowled them out for about 75 by about 2.45...2/60 at tea, and our guy who was a wonderful bat when there was no pressure made 150 in 70 minutes...we declared at 3/240 and bowled them out again in the 2nd last over. Their captain was one of the last 2 in and threatened to run his partner out if he didn't get out. Buggered if he was coming back next week.
I don't think I got a bat or a bowl...well, certainly wouldn't have batted.
Nice to hear,I always hated moorabin

Successive wins after a disappointing round 1 have put the season back on a better footing. Most credit is deserving for the bowlers, who restricted a pretty talented top order and then rolled through the middle order and tail. A total of 120 was an excellent defensive effort on a big ground. We then batted with common sense to run down the total with 8 overs to spare. A good day. Except for a (hopefully) minor hamstring issue picked up when i called for a quick single.

Went and had a bit of a look at some VTCA cricket being played at Aberfeldie Park on Saturday. Nice day to sit under the trees and watch. I will be moving house into that area soon enough, so I reckon I'll lob in and play for that club. Anyone else play in that comp?  

Went and had a bit of a look at some VTCA cricket being played at Aberfeldie Park on Saturday. Nice day to sit under the trees and watch. I will be moving house into that area soon enough, so I reckon I'll lob in and play for that club. Anyone else play in that comp?

I often walk past those games on a Saturday arvo. You might find Aberfeldie up at Clifton Park is of a higher standard if that's what you want.

I often walk past those games on a Saturday arvo. You might find Aberfeldie up at Clifton Park is of a higher standard if that's what you want.

Yeah I think APCC are playing in B-Grade but Abers are up in A. I don't know what the 1st XI standard is like, but the game I watched was a 2s match and I did wish I could face that bowling. Deck was extremely green too, couldn't pick out the pitch from the rest of the square, but the setting is fantastic there. Plenty of time to scope it out...

Seen the furore surrounding Michael Clarke's Sydney Grade side on the weekend? He was due to play for Western Suburbs against Parramatta on the 2nd week of the game. The Wests captain asked the Parra skipper to make sure if we won the toss to bat as he wanted Clarke to get a hit week 2. Parra won the toss and sent Wests in, and they proptly declared at 0/17. Parramatta made 2/140 before declaring, taking 1st innings points. Wests batted again and was all set up for Clarke to bat 2nd week, but now he is not being allowed to play and instead is being selected for a Cricket Australia XI to play India next weekend. The result also caused a stir as it meant 2nd last Parramatta with that win catapulted up the table.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/michael-clarke-drama-parramatta-captain-michael-castle-fumes-over-declaration/story-fndpt0dy-1227132330729

AUSTRALIA vice-captain Brad Haddin says the decision by Western Suburbs to declare at 0-17 last Saturday so Test skipper Michael Clarke could bat on the second day is akin to “match-fixing”.

Haddin made the sensational tongue-in-cheek statement at a press conference on Monday morning after Clarke had been named in the Australian Test squad for the first match against India starting December 4 pending a fitness test.

Wests captain Jeff Cook made the controversial call to declare early in the innings against Parramatta in a bid to ensure his side would bat on the second day, allowing Clarke to come in and get batting practice to prove his fitness to selectors.

That decision has backfired spectacularly after Clarke was on Monday named to play in a Cricket Australia XI team in Adelaide this weekend instead, meaning Cook‘s decision cost his team first innings points for nothing.

Yeah I think APCC are playing in B-Grade but Abers are up in A. I don't know what the 1st XI standard is like, but the game I watched was a 2s match and I did wish I could face that bowling. Deck was extremely green too, couldn't pick out the pitch from the rest of the square, but the setting is fantastic there. Plenty of time to scope it out...

I think there's a pretty wide gap. You can play some terrible teams in B reserves.

Where are you living? Not too specific. I'm in one of the streets up from the park, but auctioning it on Saturday.

I think there's a pretty wide gap. You can play some terrible teams in B reserves.

Where are you living? Not too specific. I'm in one of the streets up from the park, but auctioning it on Saturday.

Currently in Mooroolbark where I grew up, but working in CBD so the commute is starting to annoy me, plus the hours I'm working mean that after getting home I can't get to training so I decided to pull the pin until I moved closer to the city. I know the Aberfeldie area well as my grandparents live there. I'm looking Ascot Vale just so I'm closer to the train line as Abers is a bit further away. I really like it there, there is a place going under the hammer Saturday off Epsom Rd so we'll see how we go!
Yeah watching Saturday I would fancy facing the bowling that was on offer!

Made 77 not out and only hit two boundaries. Fair to say the legs are a bit sore today!

And the standard in VTCA is extremely variable. Even within individual divisions you can have extremely good teams who are being a big fish in a little pond and rubbish teams making up the numbers.

A reply to: @smooth regarding QuoteLink

Currently in Mooroolbark where I grew up, but working in CBD so the commute is starting to annoy me, plus the hours I'm working mean that after getting home I can't get to training so I decided to pull the pin until I moved closer to the city. I know the Aberfeldie area well as my grandparents live there. I'm looking Ascot Vale just so I'm closer to the train line as Abers is a bit further away. I really like it there, there is a place going under the hammer Saturday off Epsom Rd so we'll see how we go!

Yeah watching Saturday I would fancy facing the bowling that was on offer!
467 bus takes you from a lot of Aberfeldie to Moonee Ponds Station.

A narrow loss yesterday in a pretty high standard game. But we’ve just squeezed in to finals and next week will play the side we just lost to! I played a David Gower-esque lofted flick off the toes. absolutely creamed it, but unfortunately the fieldsman on the boundary took an absolute screamer and i was on my way for 1! the opposition informed me he was the only player capable of getting near it, let alone catching it. not sure if they were offering commiserations or rubbing it in, lol.

either way, if you lose in the last two overs then there’s hope for next time.

Oak Park’s form in the NWCA Moss Shield shows no signs of abating.

Sitting on top of the table, they took on Strathmore Heights at Boeing Reserve. Bowled the home side out for 108 and chased the total successfully in 14 overs. Ouch.

Sigh. Lost the GF by 10 or so. I got a 40 but in truth it was a bit slow. In my defence, batted at three and the middle order failed around me, which made it hard to push on. The compulsory retirement rule throws up some tricky situations unless you have two overlap. someone said, i made a classical 40 with real shots, the opposition had a guy slog 40 off about 4 overs. That was probably the game.

Victory to Oak Park over the Shakti Lions in the North West Cricket Association’s Brian Moss Shield.

Getting the opportunity to host the grand final at home in front of a decent crowd and one very cheap bar, the Oakers won their first senior premiership in 6 years.

Batting first, the home side managed 5/183 off their 35 overs. Captain Colin Vernon made 42 of the first 79. Fellow opener Steve Smith (yep another one :wink: ) would bat out the 35 overs to make 70no.

The visitors struggled and when it was all done, they had been bowled out for 79 in the 22nd over. Will McHale had the figures - 5/25 off 5.3 overs. All the other 3 bowlers contributed to the tally.

Fair old celebration last night.

Quoted Post

Victory to Oak Park over the Shakti Lions in the North West Cricket Association's Brian Moss Shield.

Getting the opportunity to host the grand final at home in front of a decent crowd and one very cheap bar, the Oakers won their first senior premiership in 6 years.

Batting first, the home side managed 5/183 off their 35 overs. Captain Colin Vernon made 42 of the first 79. Fellow opener Steve Smith (yep another one :wink: ) would bat out the 35 overs to make 70no.

The visitors struggled and when it was all done, they had been bowled out for 79 in the 22nd over. Will McHale had the figures - 5/25 off 5.3 overs. All the other 3 bowlers contributed to the tally.

Grand final before 15 March. That’s ludicrously early.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Victory to Oak Park over the Shakti Lions in the North West Cricket Association's Brian Moss Shield.

Think the EDFL and Moreland Council have something to do with that.

JP Fawkner Reserve is hosting a practice match this afternoon and during the week the pitch is getting covered for the upcoming season.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Our lower grades played this Sat/Sun.
Top grade started this Sat, continue next (with next Sunday the reserve day)