Local Cricket Thread 2019/20

Getting towards that time of year again. For most of us dusting off the kit bag and suiting up again pre-season will be in full swing. My club has experienced an unexpected influx of players. 17 blokes from East Keilor have joined us, obviously some discontent at that club. We’ve also had your standard few that have come in off the street. As a result we have now got a 5th XI going for the first time in the club’s history. At 36 years old and fresh off a 2s flag I’m just happy to play there and not too bothered about playing 1s cricket. Leave that to some of the younger boys.

If anyone is keen on a game and lives in the Essendon area, PM me and I’ll sort you out. Players of all abilities welcome, we have all 5 teams playing on turf, good club atmosphere. A great time to come on board at Aberfeldie Park CC!

In juniors footy for each age group, some clubs will only allow 1 transfer to keilor and block the rest.

Brunswick Cricket Club is launching an All Abilities team to give access to playing cricket for all. Come and try day in October. See the web site or Facebook page for more details.

1 Like

Are any other comps using live scoring via MyCricket app on iPads? Warrnambool District are issuing iPads to the Div1 and Div 2 teams. Home team uses the app, away team checks via the old method. Scores uploaded at the end of the day (or maybe at tea).

Div 1 starts Saturday, Div 2 the week after. Apparently 3 games on turf, 2 on hard wickets (because their turf decks aren’t ready). I’m off to Italy Sunday, so missing the first 6 weeks. Back after the Dunkeld Races (family do in Melbourne for me).

I’ll wander down to Port Fairy’s ground (around tea-time, the party snag rolls are magnificent - big Plugger at the local butcher does a great job).

They reckon it’s in perfect nick, even after that horrible drought that had the Federal government grant the shire $1m in drought relief, which the shire voted to send back. There’s still standing water by the side of the highway. I don’t think we’ve had as much as BSD says SW Gippy has had, but still over 400mm despite a parched Jan-Mar.

First game of the season today (should’ve played yesterday but still not enough decks ready so had to play today), made 160 batting first in a 40-over one dayer. I got 19, spent a fair bit of time at the crease but didn’t really time it well, after the drinks break chipped one to mid-wicket off the spinner. We then bowled out Marby Park for 23 in the 11th over! Father and son, in their first games for the club, both took a 5-for each. Great bowling and fielding as well, held all chances that came our way. I took 2 catches at mid-on. Very good start to the season!

Our junior comp has had compulsory scoring with the ipad/tablet for 3 years and the seniors started last year with them. Home team had the iPad with the away team the old way with the scorebook. This year all of us on the executive Committee voted in mandatory iPads/tablets only and did away with scorebooks in both juniors and seniors. We went to the local Officeworks and purchased 120 of the basic tablets and got them at a pretty good price bulk rate (think it was just over $100 each). The association subsidised the clubs $50 per tablet.
It’s not compulsory to have the “live” part of the scoring as some areas don’t have internet but the scores are uploaded as often as possible

1 Like

Pretty rapt that a lad I’ve helped coach in the u14’s has just been named the state country U15 skipper. I mentioned the lad last season made 420 runs from 10 knocks and was only dismissed once for the year and that was for 0 against our other side in Round 1. In u14’s you retire after 60 balls and yet he made 6 of the 8 60+ scores in the whole comp. This year our comp changed to u15’s and in the two games so far he has 96no and 66no. He plays in our u17’s aswell and bats at 6 but hasn’t had a hit yet as they have only lost a couple in both games. He made his A grade debut a couple of weeks ago at the age of 15 and went in at 6/70 and was the last bloke out for 34 after facing over 130 balls from some very sharp bowling.

2 Likes

Patchy in our comp

Our first and normally seconds use it plus all of the juniors (have had it for a while).
Some clubs don’t seem to have worked it out at all.
Plus it has been known to freeze on a saturday…

My local cricket club won a prize from CA that consists of 4 hours of tutoring and running a net session tomorrow. Normally they send a Redbacks player to these sorts of things but found out on Thursday that it will be Brett Lee so plenty of excited players!
Should be a decent day as our A grade are playing afterwards as all of today’s games in our comp were moved to Sunday to accommodate the WBBL game being played in our zone today

1 Like

Had a short day today. Last week home team made 50, away team were 2 short and finished at 8/108. Home team 2/28 in the second dig, got to about 40 before the first wicket fell on a run out going for the 3rd…wickets tumbled then. Left-armer got an LBW last ball of the over, then the top score from the first dig let go a ball on middle peg. I just said “hat-trick ball”. He said “oh, is it? Someone go into 3rd slip”. Batsman guides it straight to third slip for the hat-trick. At about 8/45, it looked like an innings loss, then a couple of young blokes including a 12 yo put on about 50. Young kid batted well despite copping his first whack in the nuts for 24. Knocked over the 37 runs for one wicket.

It was a pitch and bowlers for LBW’s. Gave 7, could have given another 4 or 5. Would all have been umpire’s call on DRS. The 7 given were pretty plumb. Bowlers were moving the ball nicely - 4-piece Kookaburras. Left-armer just kept straightening them down the line.

We’ve had a decent start to the season, currently top of the table. Playing Caroline Springs (3rd) at home, lost the toss and they decided to bat. We had them 5/25 before they put on a couple of partnerships, got them all out for 133. Had to bat 14 overs to end play, we are 2/37 at the close, I’m 6 not out. Their bowling is decent without having anything that should seriously trouble you. Looking forward to a solid week of training and hopefully getting a big score to end the pre-Xmas campaign.

1 Like

Div 1 the only games on tomorrow. 2 T20 games for each team.

They only need 10 umpires so I’ve got the day off. Port have 2 home games so I’ll wander over to Avery’s Paddock. I think the away teams have 30 minutes to get between grounds. Easy enough in Warrnambool, Bushfield and Koroit but Port Fairy is close to 25 minutes in traffic from Warrnambool.

I played my first game for the season yesterday. Hadn’t picked up a bat since the end of last season. Captain looked after me and told me that I was opening. We got off to a pretty good start and put on 80 for the first wicket. We ended up making 6/227 off our 40 overs. I ended up with 50. Bowling they were never in the game and we restricted them to 8/140. I even got a wicket.

I’m struggling to move at the moment.

2 Likes

First game in 2 years. We got rolled for a grand total of 77.
Bowled pretty well, gave them a decent run for it, they still passed us 7 down.

Hit a bit of form the past 2 games. Asked to be dropped, went back and got a 43 last week in a one-dayer, then got promoted back up to the 2s for yesterday’s game in a 2-dayer. We lost the toss and got sent in on an absolute belter of a pitch. Apparently this mob we are playing prefer to chase, but anyway we ended up making 9/255 off our 80. Should’ve been a lot more, we were cruising at 3/170 after 50 but both set batsmen (me included) got out in quick succession and we probably had a bit of a long tail with some kids down there so we failed to push on and get a 300+ score. I made 49, batted 53 overs, pretty disciplined knock apart from the shot I got out on, short and wide and nicked behind trying to cut. Annoyed I didn’t get a 50 and from there went on and got a big one but good to be back scoring runs again…

I had my second hat-trick of the summer on Saturday - both against the same team.

Third last over - first two were caught deepish mid-off, nice catches by a 15-yo, then the third ball surprised me a touch. I thought the bowler was a bit of a boofhead but he bowled the third guy with an off-speed yorker. Then had a double hat-trick messed up by the captain muffing a very catchable chance at deep mid-wicket.

The home side went past for their first win of the year on the back of 75 not out from an anaesthetist playing his first game of the year, in the second last over. The captain wasn’t happy, having been given out caught behind early. Bat-ball noise at the right time, with no chance of it being pad or ground. The opposition weren’t too happy with two later caught behind shouts given not out, one ground, one pad…very confident shouts though…not that that matters.

Sounds like he did a number on the opposition.

Well, it was ether that or knock them out.

1 Like

Anyone else playing finals cricket? We are on top after Day 1 of our game. Won the toss and bowled first on a soft deck, rolled the opposition for 90, and we finished 1/29 at the close, I’m 15*.

2 Likes

Our 1s, 2s 3s and 4s made finals - 1s & 2s had big wins, 3rds got done, 4ths won in the last over.