Local Cricket Thread 2019/20

Getting towards that time of year again. For most of us dusting off the kit bag and suiting up again pre-season will be in full swing. My club has experienced an unexpected influx of players. 17 blokes from East Keilor have joined us, obviously some discontent at that club. We’ve also had your standard few that have come in off the street. As a result we have now got a 5th XI going for the first time in the club’s history. At 36 years old and fresh off a 2s flag I’m just happy to play there and not too bothered about playing 1s cricket. Leave that to some of the younger boys.

If anyone is keen on a game and lives in the Essendon area, PM me and I’ll sort you out. Players of all abilities welcome, we have all 5 teams playing on turf, good club atmosphere. A great time to come on board at Aberfeldie Park CC!

In juniors footy for each age group, some clubs will only allow 1 transfer to keilor and block the rest.

Brunswick Cricket Club is launching an All Abilities team to give access to playing cricket for all. Come and try day in October. See the web site or Facebook page for more details.

1 Like

Are any other comps using live scoring via MyCricket app on iPads? Warrnambool District are issuing iPads to the Div1 and Div 2 teams. Home team uses the app, away team checks via the old method. Scores uploaded at the end of the day (or maybe at tea).

Div 1 starts Saturday, Div 2 the week after. Apparently 3 games on turf, 2 on hard wickets (because their turf decks aren’t ready). I’m off to Italy Sunday, so missing the first 6 weeks. Back after the Dunkeld Races (family do in Melbourne for me).

I’ll wander down to Port Fairy’s ground (around tea-time, the party snag rolls are magnificent - big Plugger at the local butcher does a great job).

They reckon it’s in perfect nick, even after that horrible drought that had the Federal government grant the shire $1m in drought relief, which the shire voted to send back. There’s still standing water by the side of the highway. I don’t think we’ve had as much as BSD says SW Gippy has had, but still over 400mm despite a parched Jan-Mar.

First game of the season today (should’ve played yesterday but still not enough decks ready so had to play today), made 160 batting first in a 40-over one dayer. I got 19, spent a fair bit of time at the crease but didn’t really time it well, after the drinks break chipped one to mid-wicket off the spinner. We then bowled out Marby Park for 23 in the 11th over! Father and son, in their first games for the club, both took a 5-for each. Great bowling and fielding as well, held all chances that came our way. I took 2 catches at mid-on. Very good start to the season!

Our junior comp has had compulsory scoring with the ipad/tablet for 3 years and the seniors started last year with them. Home team had the iPad with the away team the old way with the scorebook. This year all of us on the executive Committee voted in mandatory iPads/tablets only and did away with scorebooks in both juniors and seniors. We went to the local Officeworks and purchased 120 of the basic tablets and got them at a pretty good price bulk rate (think it was just over $100 each). The association subsidised the clubs $50 per tablet.
It’s not compulsory to have the “live” part of the scoring as some areas don’t have internet but the scores are uploaded as often as possible

1 Like

Website Design