Local Cricket Thread 2019/20

We made the finals after only winning 1 game after Xmas…

2 Likes

We passed the score 2 down. I got out 6 runs before, skied a full-toss off a spinner, out for 35. Was annoyed not to be there when the winning runs were hit but the job had been done by then. Bizarrely they wanted to keep going after the tea break when we’d already passed their total. We batted for another 20 overs and finished 7/170-odd before we pulled the pin. Into a 2nd successive Grand Final, hopefully back-to-back premierships!

Our 4s and U16s also through to GFs, so that’s 3/3 teams who made finals playing off for flags. Great result!

2 Likes

Made finals in all our junior grades but our only seniors to make it were our 2’s.
The ones had destiny out of their hands trailing 4th by a small percentage. We batted first and made 7/308 before knocking the opposition over for 146. Alas it amounted to nothing as the 4th placed side chased down 292 with 9 down and we therefore missed out by 1 wicket effectively. We have a major club event tonight so things will be a bit flat but the committee including myself have decided to move the coach on and we will move a couple of players on aswell most likely

1 Like

Played today, as I shined the ball and the umpire complained he had a sore throat, I realised we are all getting Corona…

did you play today. enjoy the real cricket thread. i still look up the scores of sides i have played for even though i am 69 so the love of cricket at local level never dies

2 Likes

Yeah we played yesterday. Lost the toss and we had to field. The pitch is a belter, at stumps they are 6/181. It’s a 4-day game so we have to resume fielding. I’m pretty sore, 37 now so it takes longer to recover these days! Been for a swim so feel a bit better but hopefully we knock over the last 4 wickets early on and get batting…

1 Like

2nd chasing 207.
4ths defending 189 to win (64 over comp)
Both probably winning targets.

1sts starting this arvo.

1 Like

Stumps Day 2 and the game is interestingly poised. The opposition made 277 all out. We bowled and fielded pretty poorly to be truthful, haven’t had much experience in backing up a full 80 overs in the field and having to go again the next day. Our bowlers bowled a pressure release ball almost every over, either too short and/or width outside off-stump. We then had 49 overs to bat the day out and having been 2/5 at one point (including me, out for 4 nicking behind to a ball that did leave me ever so slightly and got a feather on it) we steadied to be 2/83 at the close. Good fightback, still a lot of work to do but we are in a decent position come next weekend.

1 Like

4 days is brutal.
Do many sides chase down targets?

I’d say if you make 270+ batting first you win 9 out of 10 games. We have a very strong batting line-up, so we give ourselves a chance, but if you put that score on the board batting first in a GF you’d be pretty happy with that. There’s still 160 overs left in the game, it is an unique dynamic having a 4-day GF. Personally I don’t understand how for the biggest game of the season you can play a format of cricket that you don’t at any other time, but the VTCA do some strange things.

1 Like

does the team that finished top only have to not be defeated outright

Yep.

Used to be 120 overs per side over 3 days in the top few grades in BHRDCA.

Basically if you batted first & batted your overs, you won, just by draining the other mob.

1 Like

2nds diddled.
4ths won pretty comfortably.

Firsts 0/16 chasing 110.

I don’t mind if you have reserve days in the event of inclement weather, but it should still be a 160 over game (as in both sides bat for 80 overs). Plenty of clubs have made that argument however the VTCA have been fairly obstinate in keeping their 4 day GF.

Do the VTCA have a one day comp? If so do they play a 2 day grand final?

It is ridiculous that some comps play a format in the GF that you never play during the season.

2 Likes

We used to play a 65 over comp that had 110 over grand finals. Was a completely different game.

The way it is going I think there is a big chance that local cricket will be called off this weekend anyway.

one side i played for in the 70’s would never of got to the 65 overs in 2 innings

Not according to the VTCA. All play to continue as per normal…

I was the youngest in the team at 40, so imagine how we handled fielding for 100 overs…