Local Footy 2015

Was at Aberfeldie v Maribyrnong Park today, typically a landslide Abers win but Kyle Reimers kicked a bag of 12, including 8 in the last into the breeze. Another ex-Bomber Courtney Johns was very good in the ruck and up foreard, but it was the Reimers show late on as he was kicking them from everywhere against the Lions.

Pascoe Vale won big again today, looking like both sides could be undefeated when they meet in a fortnight at Clifton Park…

Had the grand final replay from D1 in C Grade yesterday between Therry Penola and Williamstown CYMS.

Cracking con test up at Oak Park with the home side only taking a matchwinning lead in time-on in the last.

This week mark in the AFL the Umpires In the Community Round so I spent tonight training instead of Thursday as part of that with AFL umpires. Good learning experience.

This is where the VAFAUA and the VAFA has been ahead of the game somewhat, with Williamstown CYMS starting an Umpires Appreciation Day some years ago. Well you would if you had Bill Deller as a club president.

Hence this week in the VAFA, it’s Umpires Round. The aforementioned CYs will hold their match on the wide expanses of Point Gellibrand oval against Old Haileybury.

Nobody barracks for the umpires, pazza.

As for my own form?

After reviewing the video, I’m delighted! Was great to be back.

Another part of local footy worth supporting is the F. I. D. A.

This stands for Football Integration Development Association and in short, is football played fortnightly by men and women suffering an intellectual disability.

Be that deafness, down syndrome, have a mental disability and so on. Pretty much people wanting to play footy but who wouldn’t be able to if such an organisation didn’t exist.

Teams are based throughout Melbourne, country Victoria and in NSW, QLD and WA.

Every June, a national carnival is held at Crawford Oval at Royal Park.

Grand final day is hectic, with 4 matches held on the day at Central Reserve in Glen Waverley.

In reality it’s all about having fun.

Quoted Post
Some really interesting results in the EDFL on the weekend.

As mentioned, Pascoe Vale look the real deal smashing Avondale Heights. Pascoe Vale has the two Ross brothers, Vezpremi, Ben Warren, Hardingham and Daniel Harris on their list. Thats a decent collection of ex AFL players.

Other big result was promoted West Coburg beating derby rival Northern Saints by 110 points. And this is with a basically no name squad.

I’ll be moving to the area so have taken an interest in the comp. Must say I was impressed with the standard, the EFL (Eastern Footy League) for many years claimed they were the best Metropolitan footy league in Melbourne, and I’d say EDFL has to be the equal of that, or perhaps ever better than it now. Better thing is you don’t get charged to watch, at most EFL games it’s $5 or so to get in, I just rocked up on Saturday and had a look.

Charged for local games? Geesh. Mate EDFL is the best. Rock up with a slab, have a kick etc. Unfortunately Essendon have a few Sat games this year so won’t be able to make it to as many EDFL games, but the standard is pretty decent. I’d say Strathmore and Avondale Heights probably have the worst food any of the divisions though.

Which side do you follow?

No one as such. But closest teams are Strathmore, Abers, Avondale, East Keilor.

The other two clokes got big.

EDFL is horribly uneven. Last year there were 4 teams that could have gone down and 6 could have made the finals on the last weekend...and Doutta lost by a point or two to cop it. Think PV was one of the 4 too.

Avondale Heights have slipped this year despite still having Rose and Galea.

PV and Abers are unbeaten with percentages all but 250. Greenvale have a percentage in the 220s.

Yeah crazy atm.

Abers beat Airport West by 30 goals away.

One of the Hislops got 5, Johns and Reimers 4

Pascoe Vale beat Greenvale by about 5.

Strathmore are struggling a bit.

Was out at PEGS at Keilor Park yesterday and I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that if you lose your first 6 games, chances are you will probably get relegated. That’s the dilemma for PEGS. Competitive for a half but that’s it.

Aaron Cloke, the cousin of the others, is current Premier C leading goalkicker for the Oakleigh Krushers.

In division 1 craigieburn and doutta stars are the contenders,jed clothier named in best for douttas .
Glenroy have been unlucky still yet to win and Lance whitnall must be waiting for a bit of luck to go thier way.

Next week pascoe vale and aberfeldie clash will be a ripper game at clifton park.
Was told by an ex pascoe vale player pre season that the coach is very keen for them to taste success at premier division level.

Smythesdale got thumped by Gordon in the seniors and reserves ,yesterday. Gordon kicked 69.22.436 to Smythesdale 1.1.7 & in the reserves Gordon kicked 40.18.258 to 0.2.2 . While this score is isolated to a one-off very bad day , unfortunately Smythesdale are getting beaten week in , week out by 20 or 30 goals. They were competetive in the Lexton Plains and Golden Plains leagues they were previously in( under the guise of their former name and town, Illabarook Football Club ) and won a premiership only about 20 yearsago ,but are mismatched against the power of the players in the Central Highlands league. I went to see them play a couple of weeks ago & the blokes are playing their hearts out ,but can`t compete against more experienced and more powerful oppostition teams They are bound to fold unless something is done.The competition needs to be on a more level playing field with teams of a similar skill level playing against each other ,rather than having a couple of whipping boys that others look forward to playing so they can get easy points and boost their percentage. Clunes are in the same league & in the same boat as Smythesdale. Something needs to be done about uneven competitions to stop this happening. There would be many other teams in the same situation all across the AFL .

Stop the carnage.
Was out at PEGS at Keilor Park yesterday and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if you lose your first 6 games, chances are you will probably get relegated. That's the dilemma for PEGS. Competitive for a half but that's it.

Aaron Cloke, the cousin of the others, is current Premier C leading goalkicker for the Oakleigh Krushers.

The pegs sports complex out there is pretty impressive. Pity about the wind and airplanes.

Gordon kicks 69.22.436 against Smythsdale in the Central Highlands Football League.

Smythesdale got thumped by Gordon in the seniors and reserves ,yesterday. Gordon kicked 69.22.436 to Smythesdale 1.1.7 & in the reserves Gordon kicked 40.18.258 to 0.2.2 . While this score is isolated to a one-off very bad day , unfortunately Smythesdale are getting beaten week in , week out by 20 or 30 goals. They were competetive in the Lexton Plains and Golden Plains leagues they were previously in( under the guise of their former name and town, Illabarook Football Club ) and won a premiership only about 20 years` ago ,but are mismatched against the power of the players in the Central Highlands league. I went to see them play a couple of weeks` ago & the blokes are playing their hearts out ,but can`t compete against more experienced and more powerful oppostition teams They are bound to fold unless something is done.The competition needs to be on a more level playing field with teams of a similar skill level playing against each other ,rather than having a couple of whipping boys that others look forward to playing so they can get easy points and boost their percentage. Clunes are in the same league & in the same boat as Smythesdale. Something needs to be done about uneven competitions to stop this happening. There would be many other teams in the same situation all across the AFL .
                  Stop the carnage.

Goal umpires, timekeepers and scoreboard attendants got RSI.

EDFL can’t afford to have so many lopsided games.

Incredible that 2014 was such a close even season with every team so competitive. It was probably the best season of EDFL for decades.

Yet this year is the complete opposite. Two dominant teams, 4 average to above average teams and 4 just making up the numbers. Its snoozeville this year and surely crowd numbers would be suffering. Who wants to go and watch 20 or 30 goal drubbings each week.

Hopefully something will be done for next season.

One of the great stories in the VAFA is that of the Kew Bears.

It was only a few years ago they were struggling at the bottom end of D4.

But, thanks to the coaching of former Blue Ian Aitken (Clarko’s first and most famous victim) and the linking of it’s Under 19’s to the boys at Box Hill Senior Secondary College, the Bears have climbed rapidly.

They now sit undefeated in D1, having won 3 flags in 3 years.

EDFL can’t afford to have so many lopsided games.

Incredible that 2014 was such a close even season with every team so competitive. It was probably the best season of EDFL for decades.

Yet this year is the complete opposite. Two dominant teams, 4 average to above average teams and 4 just making up the numbers. Its snoozeville this year and surely crowd numbers would be suffering. Who wants to go and watch 20 or 30 goal drubbings each week.

Hopefully something will be done for next season.

I’d put Greenvale in the conversation as a flag fancy. Maybe not as high as Abers or Pacco, but they were the better side for 3 quarters against Abers Round 1 and they didn’t get blown away at the weekend either. Avondale Heights might be slowly getting back their mojo after a couple of wins on the bounce. It does seem though that it drops away dramatically in terms of the last few sides in Premier. I’ll be at Clifton Park this Saturday, it should be a beauty and with the Dons struggling to kick more than 10 goals in a match these days it will be refreshing to watch some decent scoring footy.

Abers knocked over Pascoe Vale by 12 goals.

Reimers 4 goals.

Bugger…meant to have a look butgot caught up on the other side of town.