Local Footy 2016

There is all sorts of transfer news across the clubs and competitions.

The biggest news so far out of this pre-season transfer period is the final approval by the VAFA to allow Stevie Milne to play at Beaumaris having come out of Strathfieldsaye. Could Milne lead the Sharks back to Premier?

South east haven’t lost for six or seven years.strong comp.

Main results from the Championships:

Geelong 13.10.88 to Eastern 9.10.64
Essendon 13.9.87 to Goulburn Valley 12.11.83 (Local Footy Show full replay next Friday night/Saturday morning Channel 31 (44 Digital).
Western Region 13.17.95 to Ballarat 13.14.92
Mornington Peninsula (1) 18.14.122 to Northern 14.8.92
Southern 14.9.93 to Ellinbank 6.8.44
Yarra Ranges 13.8.86 to MPNFL (2) 12.4.76
South East 17.9.111 to Murray 12.12.84

2017 rankings will be as follows:

1. Geelong
  2. Mornington Peninsula 1
  3. Eastern
  4. Essendon
  5. Northern
  6. Western Region
  7. Goulburn Valley
  8. Ovens and Murray
  9. Ballarat
  10. Bendigo

Went to Toorak Park and saw Uni Blues win a scrappy and tight match over Old Xavs. 10.17.77 to 9.13.67.

Noticed Geelong FL still are ranked 1 after yesterday’s championships.

Rohan Baldock is now on 174 goals after the weekend kicking 22

Aberfeldie beat the undefeated Keilor away by a goal in the battle of the top 2 teams. Keilor kicked the last 5 goals of the game too.

Reimers kicked 6 of 10.

St. Bernards. Won the Premier flag last year and will be relegated to Premier B at the end of this year. A spectacular fall from grace. De La are favourites now after a huge win over Trinity. Everyone from University Blues in 2nd to Collegians in 8th are capable of finals and just 2 wins separate all of them.

Beaumaris, St. Bedes and Scotch are top 3 in Premier B. Finals and relegation still relatively open. Mazenod undefeated in Premier C. All other positions are open. One win separates the top 5 in Division 1 and the relegation will between the bottom 4. St. John’s are the 2nd undefeated side, heading Division 2. Everything else is open. With a top 6 in Division 3, up to 9 teams can play finals, even with Glen Eira undefeated. 2 of Aquinas, Elsternwick and Parkside are in the relegation fight. Old Westbourne are also undefeated, down in Division 4.

Vermont won a thriller away from home.

Meanwhile it’s AFL Victoria’s Football Championships this weekend and here are some of the matches people can attend (the numbers relate to the rankings of each competition coming in):

#1 Geelong FL v #2 Eastern FL at Simonds Stadium
#5 Goulburn Valley FL v #6 Essendon DFL at Windy Hill
#7 Ballarat FL v #8 Western Region FL at Whitten Oval

And variuos others throughout Country Victoria and Cranbourne.

All matches are on Saturday, with both Under 19’s and seniors.

Everyone’s favourite flog Jason Akermanis has put his hand up to coach the O+M interleague team…

Nunawading look like they’ve lost themselves a playing list somehow.

Looks like there will be a likely merger of 2 VAFA clubs in the near future…just not this year.

Monash Gryphons and Glen Eira.

Looks like there will be a likely merger of 2 VAFA clubs in the near future..just not this year.

I could probably name 10 clubs whose amalgamation have ended up as Glen Eira.
Nunawading look like they've lost themselves a playing list somehow.

And Wandin appear to have run out of money (or at least have been outbid on s couple of their high paid players)

Some interesting country footy stories I am hearing relating to points caps in some minor leagues. Wakool a small town in the Golden Rivers league won’t be playing this year despite having plenty of money and support as they don’t have enough players from the local area that would enable them to fit under the points cap.

While not too far away the Picola League is electing not to run with the points cap. A direct consequence is they won’t be supplied umpires by the country footy authorities. As a result home teams will be providing umpires. Can’t see this ending well.

Quite looking forward to the Hampden League.

I think Port Fairy have picked up long-term Geelong VFL player, George something. I think they’ve hung n to Daniel Nicholson, ex-Melbourne, and Sam Rudolph, ex-Norwood. I believe Koroit have lost Ben and Sam Dobson to St Mary’s in Geelong, two of their stars. They’ve won the last two flags.

Looks like there will be a likely merger of 2 VAFA clubs in the near future..just not this year.

I thought it was about 8!

I thought it was about 8!

From my POV, North Caulfield and AMP merged to become Balaclava
They merged with Glenhuntly St Anthony’s who’d been a merger themselves I believe - I know they had 2 different jumpers in the club photos

On the other side - CBC St Kilda OB, St Marys East Malvern, St Johns Elsternwick, and some mob from Murrumbeena in the churches’ comp.

And I think there were still one or two others, who were originally at Packer Park.

No wonder their jumper has every colour in the rainbow. NC was emerald green and gold, CBC was dark blue, light blue and green, St Anthony’s was either red and white or blue and black, AMP was North Melbourne’s jumper as was Balaclava.

Nunawading look like they've lost themselves a playing list somehow.

And Wandin appear to have run out of money (or at least have been outbid on s couple of their high paid players)

No bad thing for the league, they had 3 or 4 guys who were a class above the rest of the league.
Looks like they’ve picked up almost as many as they’ve lost, checking the clearances. Healesville have picked up 2 guys ex-Geelong (VFL). Not sure if they’ll retain most of last year’s squad or not, they could do with a legit ruckman… Wandin had 3 “genuine” 6’4", 6’5" ruckmen in their 22 against Healesville’s 6’3" CHF and a 6’2" CHB…

The Ricky Bannister Cup will be on this preseason as Yarrawonga take on Therry Penola on thew Saturday of the Labour Day weekend up at Yarrawonga.

Some interesting country footy stories I am hearing relating to points caps in some minor leagues. Wakool a small town in the Golden Rivers league won't be playing this year despite having plenty of money and support as they don't have enough players from the local area that would enable them to fit under the points cap.

While not too far away the Picola League is electing not to run with the points cap. A direct consequence is they won’t be supplied umpires by the country footy authorities. As a result home teams will be providing umpires. Can’t see this ending well.

The points cap is the single most short-sighted idea I’ve heard floated around country footy. It will ruin country footy. The VCFL think it will stop teams buying in players and therefore premierships, but the harsh reality is that most small country towns struggle to fill teams without getting players in. Small clubs won’t be able to field a reserves team, and good players will leave for bigger clubs/leagues.

Dee. You. Em. Dum.