Local Footy 2016

Fark all the rest.

Go the mighty Bulls.

http://football-seniors.clubnoble.com.au

Fark all the rest.

Go the mighty Bulls.

You live in Magpie country now

Some interesting country footy stories I am hearing relating to points caps in some minor leagues. Wakool a small town in the Golden Rivers league won't be playing this year despite having plenty of money and support as they don't have enough players from the local area that would enable them to fit under the points cap.

While not too far away the Picola League is electing not to run with the points cap. A direct consequence is they won’t be supplied umpires by the country footy authorities. As a result home teams will be providing umpires. Can’t see this ending well.

The points cap is the single most short-sighted idea I’ve heard floated around country footy. It will ruin country footy. The VCFL think it will stop teams buying in players and therefore premierships, but the harsh reality is that most small country towns struggle to fill teams without getting players in. Small clubs won’t be able to field a reserves team, and good players will leave for bigger clubs/leagues.

Dee. You. Em. Dum.

I actually don't mind it for the major league where the towns have populations to support teams. But as you point out it will kill off a lot small town teams. The idea of developing players rather buying flags has merit but it's not something every club can do.
Fark all the rest.

Go the mighty Bulls.

You live in Magpie country now

That I do.
But I still follow the Bulls.

Guess I’ll have to check out the Magpies though.

Nunawading look like they've lost themselves a playing list somehow.

And Wandin appear to have run out of money (or at least have been outbid on s couple of their high paid players)

No bad thing for the league, they had 3 or 4 guys who were a class above the rest of the league.
Looks like they’ve picked up almost as many as they’ve lost, checking the clearances. Healesville have picked up 2 guys ex-Geelong (VFL). Not sure if they’ll retain most of last year’s squad or not, they could do with a legit ruckman… Wandin had 3 “genuine” 6’4", 6’5" ruckmen in their 22 against Healesville’s 6’3" CHF and a 6’2" CHB…

Not to mention that barring a failed medical at Collingwood, Scott Dwyer would be playing AFL football as a midfielder and he’s 194-195cm now after his back op lol

Everyone will have started the season by this weekend, but, I have some sad news to report from last weekend.

Greg Sidebottom, who umpired in the VFL, Eastern and country leagues, died whilst umpiring on Saturday of a heart attack. :frowning:

First game for my Bulls tomorrow v Sth Croydon

Game of the week from what I can see is Vermont v Norwood - Vermont’s recruiting over summer has seen them land five former Balwyn players and Howat from Old Carey. If there was ever a year Vermont could win the thing…

There is all sorts of transfer news across the clubs and competitions.

The biggest news so far out of this pre-season transfer period is the final approval by the VAFA to allow Stevie Milne to play at Beaumaris having come out of Strathfieldsaye. Could Milne lead the Sharks back to Premier?

SHE SAID NO MILNEY
SHE SAID NO
SHE SAID NO MILNEY
SHE SAID NO

Learnt an important football lesson today, never tell a guy bigger and angrier than you what you think of him as a footballer and a bloke. My nose is still sore from the whack he gave it, although in hindsight I probably deserved it.

Some big surprise hidings handed out in the EDFL.

Abers got smashed at home by Marby, even without Joel Corey playing for Marby.
Cupido at Airport West - got pumped.

In the Hampden, Port Fairy smashed Cobden after getting pumped by Koroit last week. Admittedly they got two of their three big guns back this week in Daniel Nicholson and Sam Rudolph. Koroit had to start early because they can’t play in 3 weeks with the huge Koroit Irish Festival. North Warrnambool smashed Warrnambool away, Koroit edged out Terang-Mortlake.

Xavs too good at the Snakepit yesterday for Bernards, looked like coming home with a wet sail but Xavs got a few to break the momentum half way through the final term and held us off.

Vermont ended up home quite comfortably against Norwood.

In the Goulburn Valley League, after the first round, it looks like Sportsbet is spot on with Kyabram/Rochester vs the rest. They look to be the 2 sides to battle it out. Ky looking very strong.

First mammoth score of the year recorded by Forest Hill.

Meanwhile St. Bernards are finding the premiership defence just a little difficult…yet to win so far.

Waved the flags for the first game of the season last saturday. Might be a bit out of practice but did ok, made it to the G during the second quarter, which was a bit of a shame.

Might have seen a couple of potential draftees play in my game too.

First mammoth score of the year recorded by Forest Hill.

Meanwhile St. Bernards are finding the premiership defence just a little difficult…yet to win so far.

Some bloke kicked 22 goals
Fair effort

Dingley look like their going to be hard to beat again in sfl divvy one.

Dingley look like their going to be hard to beat again in sfl divvy one.
Really? When they played in CCFL a few years ago they were beyond terrible. Good to see them turn it around.

Was at D4 derby between Westbourne and Point Cook earlier.

The talk about is that the Grammar are headed back up already and on what i saw, who would doubt that talk. Dominant.