Local Footy 2016

SA would win by 5 goals.

BrendanFevola’s tour of local footy continued with an 8 goal haul out at Hurstbridge.

All competitions are back on this week now that rep weekends and the Queen’s Birthday weekend are out of the way.

VAFA Premier match of the day is at East Malvern, as ladder leading De la Salle take on last year’s grand finalists and 2nd placed Old Trinity. Half a game separates the 2 teams coming in so it should be a decent encounter. Premier B match of the day is at Camberwell as 2nd placed Old Scotch take on St. Bedes Mentone. both teams are separated by just percentage.

Out east, the Division 1 match of the day is at 'Boots Noble Park, who sit 4th but take on run away leaders Vermont. Division 2 match of the day is at Bayswater oval as the home side host top of the table Mooroolbark.

In the EDFL, Premier have the week off, so all eyes will head to Division 1 and the match of the day out at Highgate Reserve as Craigieburn host Oak Park.

To the NFL we go and in Division 1 we see 4th placed Macleod host the top side Heidelberg.

Heading west, the match of the day is at Soldiers Reserve in Werribee as Werribee Districts in 5th place, host 3rd placed Altona. Division 2 sees ladder leaders North Footscray host 4th placed Albanvale.

Finally we go south. Division 1 ladder leaders Dingley host 3rd placed East Malvern in the match of the day. The move of Port Colts from the WRFL to the Southern league has been a winner, as they head the Division 2 ladder. They host 3rd placed Chelsea Heights tomorrow.

Most of EDFL Premier is playing this weekend. There was just one game of little interest last weekend. Airport West against Avondale Heights, both at or next the bottom.

Shout out to my umpiring mentor this week in Dom Napoli.

The former VFA and AFL goal umpire who has been in the VAFA for 20 years will do his 500th game at the Snakepit tomorrow afternoon.

over 100 goals already

27 years old…wonder what that competition is like…must not be much chop.

Interesting that Josh Mellington is going well in ALBURY…not his home town of Benalla

A rare win for Snowdogs boosted by a lightning start. Had 6 goals on the board before the Grammar got their first. Will need to win a few more to stay up.

Channel 31 will have live footy today.

Koo Wee Rup v Cora Lynn (Ellinbank and District) from 2pm.

Old Carey wins it first match for the season last week, against a very ordinary SKOBS outfit.

The top 2 sides are from Melbourne Uni - Blues and Blacks. Could they be playing for the same spots come Round 18 and the second semi-final the following week?

Vermont actaully lost last week, to Norwood. Still clear of Balwyn by 1 win.

VAFA Under 19’s meet Victoria Country Under 19’s on Sunday at Waterview Reserve Mernda (was meant to be at Cramer St. Oval)

Free entry for those wishing to attend.

St. Kevins have lost another coach, in senior coach Jon Edgar, stepping down on the eve of Round 13. It impacted immediately - SKOBS beating Collegians away. St. Bernards have 5 rounds to get out of the drop zone and are 3 wins behind Collegians and St. Kevins above them. 1 and 1/2 games separate the top 6.

Premier C has a new leader in Caulfield Grammarians, passing Mazenod on percentage. A win in the local derby over Ormond and a Nodders loss away to Kew changed the ladder leadership for the first time since round 4.

Perhaps Eastie Boi can comment on this better than me…but 5 divisions in the Eastern?

Other week and more umpiring Milestones in 2 competitions.

In the VAFA David Windlow umpires his 1000th game as a field umpire. Primarily in the Club 18, where he was umpire co-ordinator until 2013, David will umpire with his son Tom at Old Scotch in the Under 19’s tomorrow.

And in the EFL, former South East Suburban, Southern, VAFA and now EFL goal umpiring assistant coach, Charlie May, notches up 50 years as a goal umpire.

It’s basically crunch time from here on in.

VAFA Premier sees: Uni Blacks (4th) host Old Carey (10th), Old Melburnians (6th) host Old Trinity (2nd), St. Kevins (7th) hosting Uni Blues (1st), Old Xavs (3rd) hosting Collegians (8th) and De La (5th) hosting St. Bernards (9th). With the 4 far from settled, and Bernards needing 3 wins in the last month to stay up, it’s going to be one of the best finishes to a VAFA premier season in many years.

EFL: Balwyn (2nd) v Norwood (6th), East Ringwood (8th) v Doncaster (4th), Knox (12th) v Montrose (11th), Blackburn (7th) v Rowville (5th), North Ringwood (9th) v Noble Park (3rd) and Vermont (1st) v South Croydon (10th). Double chance is up for grabs with 3rd to 5th separated on percentage.

EDFL: Greenvale (3rd) v Maribyrnong Park (7th), Airport West (10th and winless) v Keilor (2nd), Strathmore (6th) v Aberfeldie (1st), Doutta Stars (4th) v West Coburg (8th) and Pascoe Vale (5th) v Avondale Heights (9th). All bar the bottom 2 can make it and each spot is close.

WRFL: Altona (4th) v Wyndham Vale (9th), Hoppers Crossing (2nd) v Albion (7th), Spotswood (6th) v Sunshine (8th), St. Albans (5th) v Werribee Districts (3rd) and Deer Park (1st) have the bye. Hoppers Crossing has the chance to go clear on top.

NFL: Northcote Park (7th) v Macleod (3rd), Greensborough (2nd) v Montmorency (5th), West Preston-Lakeside (8th) v Whittlesea (9th), Lower Plenty (10th) v Bundoora (4th) and Heidelberg (1st) v Eltham (6th). If Mont can beat the Bergers last week, it makes things very tight for 4th.

SFL: Cheltenham (8th) v Mordialloc (3rd), St. Pauls East Bentleigh (7th) v East Malvern (4th), Clayton (5th) v Dingley (1st), St. Kilda City (9th) v East Brighton (10th) and Oakleigh District (6th) v Bentleigh (2nd). Probably the easiest comp to call at the moment.

In the VAFA David Windlow umpires his 1000th game as a field umpire. Primarily in the Club 18, where he was umpire co-ordinator until 2013, David will umpire with his son Tom at Old Scotch in the Under 19’s tomorrow.

And in the EFL, former South East Suburban, Southern, VAFA and now EFL goal umpiring assistant coach, Charlie May, notches up 50 years as a goal umpire.

Does or did Charlie May goal umpire for Marcellin in school footy?

Does or did Charlie May goal umpire for Marcellin in school footy?

Possibly.

St. Bernards may just stay up after a tough year…just one win and a better percentage than Collegians immediately above them.

Noble Park, Doncaster and Rowville still fighting out the double the chance in the EFL. Just short of 10% separate all 3.

Marby Park can still make it, but with Doutta Stars, Pascoe Vale and Greenvale a game clear of them, it will be a close race in the EDFL.

Hoppers Crossing does go top, but Deer Park are only a gem and under 3% behind them in WRFL.

I have moved to my third umpiring association after another falling out i am thinking i am close to 600 games but both association have deleted my records sadly

Rohan Baldock kicked 12, thats 200 up

I have moved to my third umpiring association after another falling out i am thinking i am close to 600 games but both association have deleted my records sadly

Keep your own would be my tip.

And as for falling out…maybe there is something you can do to change that…just sayin…

I am with my 3rd association , first one I left to go to Melbourne, the second one was run by an a hole so it was a falling out. I was only there for one season. The third one is more as a favour but I am happy to do it as it means I am waving the flags in a school comp instead of running the boundary because that would be horrible for the spectators to see me doing that nowadays.

I probably only did about 200 games on the boundary and 15 as a goalie. Not including games I did on the boundary or the occasional one as a goalie for the match after mine when I was in U/11’s and U/13’s which would be maybe 20 or so all up.