Local Footy

Got done for breaking Barlow’s nose. Probably won them the granny though.

They don’t seem to have missed a beat though. Beat Terang-Mortlake by heaps yesterday and are 3-0.

Port Fairy are a shadow of their recent years and have lost to Hamilton and Portland.

My feeling is that Koroit and the three Warrnambool sides will make up the top 4.

1 Like

He was there, didn’t play though. Assumed he was injured but yeah maybe he has hung them up. Had never been to their ground before, very good setup, there’s a number of other grounds out the back, assume that’s where Greenvale Kangaroos have their lower grades play cricket. Really good setup, which doesn’t surprise as they are a premier cricket team (Formerly Nth Melbourne CC)…

It was a tad rustic when I was there…probably 2010.

This has to be one of the highest scoring games of local footy in a while surely?
Most EFL and Outer East games you’re lucky if one side makes it to triple figures let alone both

Not sure. But, conditions on Saturday were arguably conducive to such a score. Some comps I think have adopted the rule changes the AFL have brought in…whereas others (notably the VAFA) have not, so that might be part of it too.

Elsternwick seem to have kicked a damn good score this week - 39.25.259 - got a bit wayward there - to Box Hill North’s 1.1.7.

Would seem though that every competition is struggling to get umpires. For example in the VAFA - no boundary umpires outside of Premier, Premier B and sporadic games elsewhere. I dare say this is reflected in other competitions too.

1 Like

Talk of an umpire strike in the EDFL. They’ve been asked to take a 50% cut in their pay due to COVID, and whilst that might sound fine given that club salary caps for 2021 have been halved, the clubs have had to pay the exact same association fees, including the money they tip in to pay umpires. That has remained unchanged from previous seasons, however umps have been told they will only be paid half. Div 2 reserves had no field, boundary or goal umpires, so club volunteers had to officiate. Round 4 (not this coming weekend but next) there could be an umpire strike.

1 Like

All of the country footy in Victoria was put on hold for this weekend and i just had a look at the rules governing this Covid season and how it all works in all foreseeable scenarios. A very interesting read . https://cdnaflvic.performancecrew.com.au/raw/covid-19-framework-and-recommended-by-laws.pdf

Interesting how this plays out
https://www.facebook.com/NorwoodSeniorFC/posts/3852760774842683

It’s a shame when it gets to this stage but I can understand why. I am at 2 games each week for my boys and occasionally see unnecessary crap from spectators. I would like to think our division is pretty well behaved too.

1 Like

I umpired from age 14 to 16 in the southern football league. The abuse I copped reffing under 9 and 10s games was appalling.

Grown men thinking they’re are witty slagging off a 14 year old…it was genuinely pathetic.

I had to stop a fight between 2 parents during an under 9s lightening premiership game and get club officials to move parents to opposite sides of the ground. I quit shortly after.

I go to a few local ammos games now and it seems way better. The banter against umps is still there but it’s just low level whinging rather then the abuse and implicit threats of physical violence of old.

1 Like

I remember seeing a bunch of macho wankers at Marby Park ten years ago. The poor kid, just a boundary ump trying to retrieve a ball over a mud pit and ten metre puddle. Not to disparage MP as a club but I thought the sight of seeing a small element, a half dozen big blokes, still bullying in their 40’s and 50’s laying ■■■■ beyond banter on a teenager who barely officiates on anything much all afternoon was cringeworthy and utterly pathetic.

1 Like

Is this a thrashing , a beating , a pommeling, a pantsing , a shellacking or something else ? If Maldon had of kicked straighter, the result would have been a lot worse. Pick up your game Maldon !!! Sympathy to Maryborough. My old local team had regular losses like this ,so i know how you lot feel.

The seconds had a decent win ,too.

This lad jagged 19 and didn’t make the best.

39 for Olinda (white) should look familiar

2 Likes

Hocking?

Yeah.
His best mate (#5) was playing his 300th so he pulled on the boots.

1 Like

What a tough gig. Favouritism to the blokes who only kicked 9 and 4 goals.

How’d dja be, kicking 19 goals on the day and not named in the best.

Mate we have been struggling at Rovers for a while . I have been president player and a coach from senior to junior level. When I took over a president we had 24 senior players full stop and no juniors . I started a junior side in 2014 the year I was president with 10 kids and we scraped a side together . 2 years later we had a full compliment of kids that should be playing seniors now however certain people within the club only want to look after family members and have since lost all of those kids 1 side this season and back to no seniors . Ironically the same guy I took over from in 2014. Very sad considering the assistant coach of Melbourne grew up playing for the club and came back to help and his dad is still treasurer.

1 Like