Longest Premiership Drought

The next day on 3AW, Tony Shaw said we were so good, we could go on and win 5 in a row!

Well… that didn’t happen.

Sack Rutten.

2 Likes

I would have locked you up in a looney bin and thrown the key away. Oh how easy it seemed back then……

The club’s administration back then was an absolute train wreck. That set us up for failure for the next 20 years.

There was a constant witch hunt for Sheedy to be sacked by board members, during our successful years.

They f*cked the salary cap and sent us down the path of trading important players for peanuts. We also lost our draft hand.

Then when they finally got Sheedy as a scalp, they had zero plan or direction for the club moving forward.

They appointed the most inexperienced head coach that applied for the role.

And They massively underspent on the football department, especially compared to the other big clubs.

5 Likes

He was ■■■■ as our VFL coach, so let’s promote him to the VFL…

They publicly said they wanted someone with a background of success, so they got a guy from Richmond who had never won anything as a player or coach (Knights), rather than someone who had won premierships at two different clubs and had been an assistant at Hawthorn under Clarkson for three years (Hardwick).

*Laptop issues notwithstanding.

3 Likes

For those who weren’t there at the time, most of the “they” is Peter Jackson.

3 Likes

I am looking forward to the doco series talking about how Jackson set us back 20 years with his tight purse strings.

15years of mediocrity ™

I still think the biggest set back for us during that period, was Lloyd doing his hamstring.

When he was playing, we were at the very least a quality side who could do some serious damage. I was at the ground, you could hear a pin drop as he got helped from the park. We thought it was the end of the season, but honestly it was the end of an era.

Lloyd was never the same again…….and IMO Lloyd was every bit as good as Hird before doing that hamstring.

Surely you have Friends who tag you into that crap Facebook page?

1 Like

This club man, smashing records year after year.

God, I ■■■■■■■ love ‘em!!!

But apart from all that they were pretty good right

1 Like