Looking towards the pies - ANZAC day

Myers isn't a bad idea, I'd rather him than Howlett. 

We'd miss his attacking game though.

And I wasn't aware of O'Brien's injury, I really need to pay more attention to VFL stuff!  

hocking out would be a huge huge blow for a midfield, just like it has been every other time he has missed. had half a dozen on tackles and 5 clearances before he got subbed about halfway through.

Spot on. 

If he misses though, I'd assume Howlett would get first crack at the tagging role. That could help him focus and maybe find some of the good form that has eluded him so far this year. 

Howlett has always struggled at the tagging role, and he wont make a dent on Pendlebury. 

Even though it would be throwing the kids to the wolves, I'd prefer to see us try one of our next tier of defensive stoppers, E.G. O'Brien or even give Aylett a crack . 

I couldn't see them doing any better or worse than Howlett, but it would at least give them some valuable experience.  

agree

any news on O'Brien's injury from the VFL?  I would suspect (and this is a total guess) that he'll miss this week.  Hopefully he's mentioned in the recovery room.

I'd be happy to see Aylett get a go.

Otherwise, what about Myers as a tagger?

oh yeah forgot about that fark. would be our luck

Melksham did a couple of good tagging jobs last year IIRC. Hopefully Hocking gets up though.

Is Hooker the most under rated defender in the league?

It seems all anyone remembers abut him is when he was trying to chase buddy from years ago.

Just heard on SEN that Bomber was thinking of dropping Carlisle for ANZAC day. Anyone know anything about that?

■■■■ that ■■■■! Carlisle has showed more as a back than Hurley, shift him to CHB and then decide what to do with Hurley.

having now heard the presser, bomber was clearly given carlisle a rocket and i'd say he is extremely unlikely to drop him.

having now heard the presser, bomber was clearly given carlisle a rocket and i'd say he is extremely unlikely to drop him.

Ah thanks! I only heard the news report.
Carlisle is a great player and better than Hurley for mine. Love to see him firing again

Just heard on SEN that Bomber was thinking of dropping Carlisle for ANZAC day. Anyone know anything about that?
fark that ****! Carlisle has showed more as a back than Hurley, shift him to CHB and then decide what to do with Hurley.

just heard...have you not read the thread, or listened to Bombers press conference, or watched AFL 360 / footy classified last night?

Continuing the Sheedification of Essendon by Bomber -- who's the Anzac day debut to play on Pendlebury? Orazio?

Stop that **** swan.

Continuing the Sheedification of Essendon by Bomber -- who's the Anzac day debut to play on Pendlebury? Orazio?

I would like a guy from left field, like orazio, but maybe one of our GWS kids, Aylett, or Edwards to Debut for the Dons.

Even seeing Zach merrett again with a full game, could be our billings.

fark that ****! Carlisle has showed more as a back than Hurley, shift him to CHB and then decide what to do with Hurley.

just heard...have you not read the thread, or listened to Bombers press conference, or watched AFL 360 / footy classified last night?

Post ■■■■ game media black out. You ought to try it... The start of the week is much brighter if you keep your head in the sand

As bad as the AFL might be, not even they could be so stupid as to do this little piece of disrespectful crap!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/sanzar-a-sporting-body-with-too-many-rules-in-its-rule-book-bans-national-anthems-on-anzac-day/story-fndukor0-1226892176762

SANZAR, a sporting body with too many rules in its rule book, bans national anthems on Anzac Day
April 22, 2014 12:46PM

IN yet another example of the arcane sport of rugby union demonstrating its uncanny ability to provide the precise opposite of what the public wants, national anthems will be banned at Super Rugby matches this Anzac Day.

You read it right. This Friday, in two rugby matches featuring rival New Zealand and Australian teams, the national anthems will not be played. And all because of some stupid rule book that says they can‘t.

Football codes like the AFL and NRL have established a tradition of playing the national anthem at Anzac Day matches, even though two domestic teams are playing. It‘s their way of saying hey, this day is important, this day is about remembering there are more important things than sport. This day is about celebrating the freedom which our forebears sacrificed their lives to deliver us.

In rugby union, however, nothing is more important than the rules. Rules, rules, rules, rules, rules.

This, bear in mind, is a game whose endless nit-picking rules are contained in a document so weighty, it exceeds in length the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And now there‘s this whole new silly rule, buried, we can only presume, on about page 733 or so of the SANZAR manual.

The rule says you can‘t play anthems at Super Rugby matches. Anthems, it says, are reserved for Test matches between national teams.

SANZAR, by the way, is not some villain in a fantasy or sci-fi series - although the name would work spectacularly well in that context, especially with an add-on title like SANZAR the Indomitable or SANZAR the Obstinate.

SANZAR is in fact the governing body of the Super Rugby competition, which has five teams each from South Africa, New Zealand and Australia, hence the ominous-sounding acronym.

SANZAR the Inflexible is certainly doing a fine job of playing the villain this week. On Friday, the ACT Brumbies take on the Waikato Chiefs in Canberra, while across the ditch, the Auckland Blues host the NSW Waratahs. There will be no anthems.

Kiwis versus Aussies on Anzac Day, the perfect stage for anthems before the game in addition to the traditional playing of The Last Post.

But no. Despite overtures by clubs including the ACT Brumbies, SANZAR the Immovable has not budged.

Not yet anyway. SANZAR the Bumbling is having its regular weekly meeting this morning. Its phone-answering guy told news.com.au that assorted issues of great pertinence and relevance will be discussed, and we should have some clarity soon.

No idea what any of that meant, but stayed tuned. This decision could yet be overturned. The anthems may yet sound loud and clear on Anzac Day.

On what planet does Carlisle get dropped this week? LOL.

We really need ambrose in this week i think he is the key man

Big body,PLAY FORWARD, can take marks, can make his opponent accountable and most importantly can kick goals. 

In: Ambrose, Goddard, Bellchambers, Winderlich 

Out: Daniher, Howlett, Ashby, Jetta (unlucky)

i think he worked plenty hard enough when he was rucking against carlton and freo but he is getting lost as a fwd. i suspect though he wasn't helped by the stagnet ball movement that we have seen over the last few weeks.

i reckon he has also been a little underdone over the last few weeks. If he is left out i suspect it is because he is carrying something. If he isn't and the midfield functions better i think we'll see an improved performance.

I don't think we should underestimate the impact having his role jerked around as a result of the ruck situation has had. he has actually actually only played 1 full game as a fwd this year. no coincidence that it was arguably his best. certainly there were no work rate issues against norf.

he need a few games to settle in the new role just like hurely did. don't think we can judge his move fwd until tbell is back and he has had got some decent game time under his belt as a fwd.

which was one of the issues brought up on here about not forcing him to ruck, even against a supposedly soft as butter warnock. That game would have been a shock to his system, let alone getting knocked around by ■■■■■■■ fire breathing Sandilands.

It was always a risk using him as a ruck, and now that one win against carlton isn't looking as much of a "masterstroke" or "revolutionising of the ruck" as it seemed to a few.

That being said it was always going to be hard to make him into a forward. It didn't work with Hurley and now it's struggling to work with him. Sooner or later they have to evaluate whether or not to just play both hurley and carlisle back. They both look and sound like that's the only role they really want, so why keep forcing them against the grain and forcing them to be a forward they either can't or don't want to be.

Yeah it'll create problems down back with the 4 tall backman no doubt, but what can you do, you either continue to waste their development in positions they aren't suited to, or you take a chance.

On what planet does Carlisle get dropped this week? LOL.

Planet Bomber.

If Belly's fit, Carlisle's the F out.

JOE DAN + BEACHCOMBER = CLUNK CITY

Deep entries and Myers hoofing

CHF: Licha Joe Chappy

FF: Orazio T-bell BJ

Unstoppable forward line right there.