Lou Richards pulls the pin

Did he coin that too?

The only good thing that has ever come out of Collingwood for me.

I agree with Diggers about his call of the '84 GF, he was just a fantastic caller of the game during the 1980’s.

Growing up in Perth during the 80’s, Louie was very influential when I first started to fall in love with the game, despite being a Victorian, with the WAFL and WA football media commanding most of the attention there.

I still have a copy of the 1993 GF Footy Show that was on the night before the GF with Louie, Ted Whitten, Maxie Walker and a host of other personalities that I treasure. I occasionally put it on for a laugh every now and then.

RIP Lou Richards, and thanks for your quick wit, humbleness and making footy so much fun to follow during my formative years of following our great game.

5 Likes

I always say to my parents who are now in their late 70s that they were lucky to grow up in the era that they did.
Well I feel lucky to have been a kid growing up with the VFL in a time when Lou was media king.

3 Likes

Remember seeing him outside the G a few years ago with a few people and was full of life. Sad day for footy and sport.

Love his handball comp as well when I was young enought to wake up that early.

4 Likes

Nor should they.

Hate to be a party pooper here, but he was a self-inflated windbag with no real talent either for writing (his columns went to a formula and he had ghost writers imposing some sort of grammar onto it) or commentating (Jack Dyer was orders of magnitude better).

I mollified my comments, having been taught not to disrespect the dead.

14 year career, 250 games, 452 goals Leading goal kicker 1944, 1948, 1950, Premiership Captain, ending 17 year flag drought, MBE for services to sport.

Had a writing career for years, and commentated just fine, and had an appeal that saw him have a very successful career in all media forms.

Yeah, …no real talent.

Incredibly Shitt comment.

7 Likes

Late Thursday nights and it was League Teams with Lou, Bobby Davis and Jack Dyer. Great entertainment.

RIP

2 Likes

Fair. Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

Wow Albert, that is grumpy, even for you.

He had stopped playing before I went to the footy and probably for you as well. But he has a good record, and my Dad used to say with deep respect that he was the dirtiest player ever.

I loved his TV work, whether it be League Teams, World of Sport, or calling a match.

And him and Captain Blood were as good as Abbott and Costello.

obviously I was not talking about football ability - where did I mention that?

And as for the other things you said - pfft. All sorts of crap things are popular and can be for years. As you should know having railed about them in various posts you made.

Incredibly shitt comment.

Albert, at least wait until his carcass has cooled down before sinking the slipper.

1 Like

Your Dad was right, from what I have heard as well.

I may have been grumpy but that has been my opinion of him even back in those days.

I hope my tribute in praise of Essendon’s 1966-1983 years I posted yesterday makes up for perceptions of grumpiness.

Maybe it is old age Albert, but of the games I watched at Windy Hill and elsewhere in the 1970’s, still give me nightmares.

Remember the game at Windy Hill, when Barry Davis was coach when Richmond won by a massive margin and the Members stand boo-ed the Players off the ground.

Or the game at Princess Park against Fitzroy where we were ten goals up at half time and lost by six.

Or the farking final at Waverley in the wet when Micky Conlan kicked the winning goal, and the Essendon fans fought each other in the carpark, and all our cars got bogged !

Dark days brother !

1 Like

Got asked a few years ago over a few beers to name my favourite Collingwood and Carlton person.

Without hesitation I named Lou. Grew up watching him on the telly. A great entertainer.

Also, for the record I named Mark Athorn as my favourite Carlton person

1 Like

I would have said Jo Bailey …

2 Likes

A State Funeral would be a fitting send off.

2 Likes

My experience with dementia is it’s far sadder to see the body (effectively) outlive the brain than someone passing relatively intact.

Rest in peace Lou.

1 Like

I hope Bemm River is bearing up well.

Always an object of fun on League Teams.

Tell us what you think of Ted Whitten?

3 Likes

The nickname “Windy Hill” for the ground was popularised in the mid-1950s by Lou Richards. Richards, a former Collingwood captain but by then a football columnist for The Sun News-Pictorial wrote his reviews in an expansive and humorous writing style, and coined the term because of the ground’s windy reputation. The nickname stuck and is in near-universal use to describe the ground – and often by association the Essendon Football Club itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy_Hill,_Essendonemphasized text