Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast - Bombers huge win over Giants- Ridley and Baldwin interview also

Grant has gotten into the trap of rating players purely on disposal numbers.

Tippa’s handful of disposals are worth far more than Davey or Snelling getting 10-12 touches. Just look at that stab pass to Stringer (or Weideman I can’t remember) under immense pressure.

Yeah he’s not 100% yet, but he’s still offering more than many others that perform similar roles.

13 Likes

What he does without the ball is the biggest concern for me. He had our equal lowest pressure acts on the weekend with 4. To me that says he’s not able to get to where he needs to be in defence. I’d rather Snelling and Menzie in the side until Tippa gets truly fit…. And that may never happen again.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree.

But Grant’s argument was that he only had 6 disposals…. And didn’t mention anything about forward pressure or tackling.

My point is If you’re using disposals stats as an argument, I’m looking specifically what he did with those disposals…… and comparing to what Davey or snelling did last week.

4 Likes

which was?

Grant should be BANNED from reading stats !

2 Likes

Except for lols

My god what a mupp

2 Likes

he probably spent a fair bit of time on the bench too 33%.

The only tackles i remember from the weekend are tippa tackling some muppett and was clearly ball. so should add free and kick to his stats

And the duzza Blicavs one given repeated due to suspension.

walla has he ability to make players look silly if they take him on, they do at their peril.

but yeh keep him in and he will improve every week.
offers more than Snelling and Menzie IMO who are pretty vanilla.

i’d love to fit Davey in alongside him though.
Menzie or Snelling would both be good in sub role or Hind.

1 Like

Personally i give Walla now some consecutive games. 3 goal assists and 5 score involvements is impact enough to push him to find the footy more

9 Likes

I was screaming this while listening to Grant 6 possession argument. You take 5 score involvement, 3 goal assists and a goal every day of the week

7 Likes

Tippa is only averaging 4 pressure acts a game, compared with Snelling at 20.

I agree with Grant, Tippa shouldn’t be playing. It’s completely inconsistent with us saying we want to drive better standards and not rely on talent

1 Like

It depends what scott values

maybe goal assists and score involvements rank higher than pressure acts. for the small forward position. Walla has high footy IQ, precision passing, great awarenes and brings others into the game.

Snelling can lay a tackle.

2 Likes

But like I said, that’s not what Grant said.

My biggest problem with football analysis (across the whole football community) is that disposal numbers are the ‘be all & end all’ for rating players.

There is far too much weight placed on that one statistic, from supporters and professional football analysists.

When people are rating Parish with 38 touches , ahead of Weideman with 5 goals and Ridley who only had 2 goals kicked on him……. People are very quickly to forget that football is about goals, not disposal numbers.

4 Likes

People quote ‘pressure acts’ but what are they?

Is waving your arm at a player when they dispose of the ball one?

Pressure Act (Chasing): Where a player applies pressure from behind an opponent by chasing . They must be gaining ground or applying pressure significant enough to hurry the ball carrier to dispose of the ball.

1 Like

What if they also rated Parish for 9 clearances and 10 score involvements? That’s three stats now.

2 Likes

most pressure acts too didn’t he?

boom 4

2 Likes

I dont know how easy it is to acquire the Champion Data numbers ?
This is the points system they use…

1 Like

And yet Shiel had more score involvements off 22 touches

Oh, so sometimes total possessions do matter, depending on what point you want to make? Gotcha.

Seriously though, the only people I see quoting Parish’s total possessions, are those being critical of his game.

2 Likes

I think that the starting midfield need to take responsibility for the fact that the match was over 10 minutes into the game.

1 Like