Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast - Cal Twomey joins us to talk EFC 2024 and Nat Draft options

Here it is!!! Essendon defender Jake Kelly is our special guest. We discuss the Freo loss in full. We also cover the game separately and break down where things went wrong & players needing to find form.

3 Likes

Very flat this week you can sense a huge reality check kicked in in WA

Oh must admit i wasnt flat myself. Maybe thatā€™s just how it comes talking about a loss.

When you guys have a guest can you try keep the questions short and sharp? You both do this weird thing, where you ask a question and then proceed to waffle on for 30 seconds to a minute and you kinda fill in your own answer to the question you just asked. Keep the question short and let the guest speak and then after they answer have a bit of your own dialogue about it.
Also when asking a question just ask one question. Dont ask a question, start waffling on and proceed to ask like 2 or 3 more questions while youve been talking, its just confusing/frustrating to listen to because your original question is normally a good one but then you muddy the water, so to speak, by continuing to talk and put 2-3 side questions on top of it. Grant is the main culprit of this, sometimes heā€™ll ask a good question and ill skip a full minute of the podcast and hes still talking for some reason.

6 Likes

The Andy Maher method.

1 Like

Great show, lads. Enjoying the format this year!

Minor nit- please try and focus on impact rather than just raw disposal numbers. Just because XYZ had 20-25 disposals doesnā€™t mean they had a good game.

Jake is the kind of bloke you want to have a beer with.

3 Likes

I normally hate people providing any sort of criticism or advice to you guys, because you are awesome for doing what you do, and I think it can be disrespectful to what you have worked so hard to create.

But Iā€™d like to politely back this point up as having validity.

Mainly because Iā€™d like to know the answer to the first question that was asked, and it can get lost in the expansion of the question.

6 Likes

Yep we were getting better at it and even i felt we went back to old bad habits on this show. Sometimes its nerves but yes i want to get better at it as a show. Still think Jakeā€™s content was great

11 Likes

Maybe write down what you want to ask before the interview. But write exactly what you want to ask word for word, read it aloud to yourself and see if it needs some self editing just so you dont get lost in the weeds. Anyway big fan, love your content and im refreshing my app every minute after 8pm waiting for the drops (thats not a joke) keep up the good stuff :+1:

Lol we actually do. So that makes more the onus on us to stick to it

Great pod guys.

Its interviews like this that remind us that the players are human beings.

Thanks for bringing that more intimate feeling to our supporter base.

4 Likes

good podcast. Jake speaks very well

1 Like

ā€œThe greatest recruiter thats ever livedā€

I just vomited in my mouth, thanks Grant

6 Likes

It was. He really embraced you guys and his down-to-earth nature really shone through. As @jonovdp said, the sort of bloke youā€™d love to have a beer (or salmon bake) with.

4 Likes

Thanks for this weekā€™s podcast. Itā€™s been a tough few days on Bomberblitz reading negative comments about the lack of progress for our squad, so I appreciated your positivity (including @CJohnsā€™s sterling efforts on other threads to argue that our year has been better than previous ones).

2 Likes

Well when you read after round 15 in both 2021 and 22 we had the opposition score over 100 points 5 times and its only been once in 2023 till after round 15ā€¦ hard to not see some growth.

5 Likes

Donā€™t tell @Clone_Hirdy that!

2 Likes

Worth noting that excluding the bottom 6 teams, we are conceding 90 points a game on average. In 2021 it was 89 points and in 2022 it was 96 points.

Like 2021, we are beating up on the bad teams, but canā€™t defend the good teams

We are also still ranked last defending ball movement, which was Ruttenā€™s biggest criticism

Freo 93, North 99, Port and Brisbane could easily have kicked 100pts if they kicked straighter. Geelong kicked 132pts. Lets see how we go the rest of the year before we claim improvement.

2 Likes