Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast - Bombers beat Crows through defensive pressure

Some blitzers definitely have favourites. Say the wrong thing and feel their wrath!

@CJohns I think it is good when people disagree on podcasts - it makes good content.

Should happen more often.

5 Likes

Sorry i wasnt suggesting that mate. I was just noting that a number of players copped some debate re their form

Do you think Shiel having a lot of score involvements detracts from Parish also having a lot of score involvements?

Although I donā€™t agree with Grant, I think he clearly articulated his rationale on Walla.

@CJohns Iā€™m surprised you see Perkins below his knees work as his biggest flaw, surely itā€™s his defensive efforts? It hasnā€™t improved at all in 3 years, Iā€™d actually have it as worse than Stringers now.

True. I just see areas also he needs to get too to become a true future powerful mid

1 Like

i donā€™t think heā€™ll ever be a full time mid. heā€™s too clever around goals

1 Like

Here it is!!! We discuss the past four week stretch against the top sides and how that can actually help the side grow and counter attack in the 2nd half of the year (if injuries can actually stop occurring)

2 Likes

I hope Setterfield was only used on the wing this week due to Durham being out.
Scott will find out soon that Langford can play well on the wing too.

I would have given Archie Perkins the wing role. Thats where he excelled as a underager.

5 Likes

Actually dont mind the call of Archie on the wing

1 Like

You mentioned a couple of times on the podcast that we outscored Geelong for 3 quarters, but thatā€™s not true.
We were trailing by 27 points at quarter time, then lost by 28, so Geelong outscored us by a point.

Unless I wasnā€™t listening properly, which also could be trueā€¦

Good that we matched them and it didnā€™t blow out though.

Yeh fair point. Its actually from 22 min mark of first Qtr. I was probably speaking to a general timeline but yes i get what your sayingšŸ‘

2 Likes

Not sure he runs defensively enough to play on a wing.

I donā€™t get Setterfields lack of CBā€™s against Port!

3 Likes

Scott obviously didnt trust anyone else to play wing, with Duzza out.
Maybe langford was going to spend time there, if not for Ridley injury.

Parish - setters and Stringer worked well against cats I thought.

3 Likes

@BakerWasAStar said that he was tagging Boak who was BOG on a wing the previous week.

Also, we smashed Port early in centre clearances (8-1) so the plan was working, at least early in the game.

My positivity has gone downwards very quickly since 3QT of the Collingwood game and Iā€™m a Scott fanboy from way back.

This year to me is now going the way of the first year under Rutten. Team defence (which was the main positive) has completely disappeared and we are only in games because of Stringer having his 2021 type season, out of the centre.

Also Ridley going down fair enough, but if you are a systems team, you adjust, Port should have beaten us by > 40 points, they had 65 inside 50s, which is massive. Geelong put the cue in the rack after the first quarter and scored 130 against us. It isnā€™t a sustainable brand of footy we are now playing and the mental fragility is still there in a big way.

So yeah itā€™s Rutten 21 like, they are playing it out coz they have a new coach, but we are stringer reliant, scoring heavily (kicking straight) and our team defence has fallen off the cliff. Itā€™s a big concern for mine.

Stats:
Points against: 14th
Defending ball movement: 18th
Pressure: 17th.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a fair point. The package at his best really does hide the cracks like he did in 2021

Yep, at the end of the day we have a similar set of players, so no surprise really.

I tell you what I am confident about. BDB is the right coach for us. He is doing a great job. He clearly wants to win. He is engaging with his job on match day. He has the presence and communication skills to get the best out of the team.

What he desperately needs is a few elite level cattle to work with.

2 Likes