Lycra's at it again

I've got no issue with raising the GST as long as the effect is adequately offset with compensation for low-income earners. Turnbull says that any tax reform will not negatively impact people in this bracket. If this turns out to be untrue, it will be political suicide. Company tax is a highly flawed and unfair revenue generator, so changes there are overdue. Turnbull has only been in office for two month. Not long enough to affect any real change. We won't know until next year whether or not he is a good PM, but I'm encouraged. Do you think Shorten would be a better PM?

How can they compensate people they don’t know about, people living off super, self funded retirees? They can’t.
I’m trying to build an online business and over the past few years have been taking $20k from my super to pay the interest on my mortgage, and $20k to live off. I can’t get a health care card becasue I “earn” too much. I spend about $90 per month on medication for my heart. Any increase in GST will effect me greatly. I’d like to think that the company tax rate will help me but given how much my business owes me I am not likely to be paying tax for a while.
I am not complaining about my situation I am very happy, but I am not the only one like me out there. There are probably thousands of people that will be worse off regardless of how genuine they are about compensation.

No one outside of the party knows what they have in store for us. I’ll hold my fire before any changes are announced.

I’ll bet you a million we hear “that’s a matter for the states” a lot next year.
Shorten's preferred PM rating is at 18% (as of Monday), so not many people share your opinion. He's possibly the least popular major party leader in history. You should have gone with Albo.

Not many people share my opinion about many things. I did vote for Albo, but always knew that Shorten would win, as the Labor MP’s mostly thought he was the best person for the job and they should know.

And winning elections should not be about popularity, but probably will be next year.

I think Shorten is hopeless. In fact I dont see much talent there at all the moment. Disappointing. And realistically I no longer like most of their policies they are far too in step with the LNP on things I think are important.
I will probably vote Green and I have no idea where I will send preferences, have to do a bit of research.

I've got no issue with raising the GST as long as the effect is adequately offset with compensation for low-income earners. Turnbull says that any tax reform will not negatively impact people in this bracket. If this turns out to be untrue, it will be political suicide. Company tax is a highly flawed and unfair revenue generator, so changes there are overdue. Turnbull has only been in office for two month. Not long enough to affect any real change. We won't know until next year whether or not he is a good PM, but I'm encouraged. Do you think Shorten would be a better PM?

How can they compensate people they don’t know about, people living off super, self funded retirees? They can’t.
I’m trying to build an online business and over the past few years have been taking $20k from my super to pay the interest on my mortgage, and $20k to live off. I can’t get a health care card becasue I “earn” too much. I spend about $90 per month on medication for my heart. Any increase in GST will effect me greatly. I’d like to think that the company tax rate will help me but given how much my business owes me I am not likely to be paying tax for a while.
I am not complaining about my situation I am very happy, but I am not the only one like me out there. There are probably thousands of people that will be worse off regardless of how genuine they are about compensation.

No one outside of the party knows what they have in store for us. I’ll hold my fire before any changes are announced.

I don’t think anyone inside the party knows what they have in store for us.

Libs need to get rid of cave-dwellers like Abetz, Andrews, Brandis and particularly Bernardi.

I like the way people carry on as if any tax changes are already set in stone.

Shorten's preferred PM rating is at 18% (as of Monday), so not many people share your opinion. He's possibly the least popular major party leader in history. You should have gone with Albo.

Not many people share my opinion about many things. I did vote for Albo, but always knew that Shorten would win, as the Labor MP’s mostly thought he was the best person for the job and they should know.

And winning elections should not be about popularity, but probably will be next year.

Winning elections does not require that the voters like you, but it does require that they respect you, and right now very few voters have much respect for Bill Shorten.

There’s a long way to go. So far Turnbull has said all the right things. What he’s done has been good, but there hasn’t been a lot of it, and if he wants to retain the support he currently has, then he has to start producing pretty soon.

Erica Betz can fuss about Julie Bishop all he likes. Not many people give a fark about what she did or didn’t know, and nor should they. Getting rid of a leader is always a messy business involving deception or concealment if not straight-out lies, but when the leader is disastrous and has proved himself or herself so over a period of years, then it has to be done. I couldn’t care less about the mechanics of it.

I think Shorten is hopeless. In fact I dont see much talent there at all the moment. Disappointing. And realistically I no longer like most of their policies they are far too in step with the LNP on things I think are important.
I will probably vote Green and I have no idea where I will send preferences, have to do a bit of research.

With respect Scorpio, not sure you have any idea about policy differences between Labor or LNP or Greens. They are vast but not communicated that well no matter how hard Labor try.

Shorten is not hopeless and he is impressive when talking one on one or in a small group. However it should not matter who is the Leader, it should be all about policy and progress.

With respect Scorpio, not sure you have any idea about policy differences between Labor or LNP or Greens. They are vast but not communicated that well no matter how hard Labor try.

Shorten is not hopeless and he is impressive when talking one on one or in a small group. However it should not matter who is the Leader, it should be all about policy and progress.

It does matter though. Just how it works isn’t it?

Cut super concessions on income and contributions - no idea why income on $2mil savings is tax free for an old fart living in Toorak.

Cut/remove CGT discount.

Limit negative gearing like they do in the UK.

Tighten FBT on motor vehicles.

My 2c.

I also can’t stand the current narrative about balancing the budget. Australia still has one of the smallest debt to GDP ratios in the OECD and whilst our revenues have been dwindling a little the period for investment into infrastructure is now. Run some defecits, spend the money wisely.

NBN FTTP should have been a no brainer, now the government’s fraudband is going to cost us billions and billions.

Heavy investment should be made into renewables.

Winning elections does not require that the voters like you, but it does require that they respect you, and right now very few voters have much respect for Bill Shorten.

There’s a long way to go. So far Turnbull has said all the right things. What he’s done has been good, but there hasn’t been a lot of it, and if he wants to retain the support he currently has, then he has to start producing pretty soon.

Erica Betz can fuss about Julie Bishop all he likes. Not many people give a fark about what she did or didn’t know, and nor should they. Getting rid of a leader is always a messy business involving deception or concealment if not straight-out lies, but when the leader is disastrous and has proved himself or herself so over a period of years, then it has to be done. I couldn’t care less about the mechanics of it.

I have to say I disagree with this. If Turnbull keeps his mouth shut (as often as he can) on any proposed big changes or policies he can't lose. He looks a million bucks compared to Abbott or Shorten (as does pretty much anyone). I can't see Shorten coming back from where he is now.
Nick off changing GST, only reason is 10%'s a nice even number.

If you’re raising it, make it 100%.

I may as well give away the domestic services division of my business. We are already at a 10% disadvantage because of the cash economy. 15% is don’t even bother territory.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bzy4z7AIYAAftty.jpg

Seems that politicians are only respected when they say or do nothing.

No wonder standards are slipping. If you had any talent for the job, then why on earth would you bother when there are other roles in the private sector where you are actually appreciated for what you do.

Goes for both sides of the fence.

I have to say I disagree with this. If Turnbull keeps his mouth shut (as often as he can) on any proposed big changes or policies he can't lose. He looks a million bucks compared to Abbott or Shorten (as does pretty much anyone). I can't see Shorten coming back from where he is now.

You may be right. But despite his current enormous popularity, if he doesn’t back it up with some real action, I suspect a fair bit of it will evaporate. And then, hopeless as the current alternative is, an election would be a very close thing.

Conversely, if he actually puts some runs on the board, then he’ll have a big win. He doesn’t even needs to put a lot of runs up there, just enough to show that he can actually get some things done.

You may be right. But despite his current enormous popularity, if he doesn’t back it up with some real action, I suspect a fair bit of it will evaporate. And then, hopeless as the current alternative is, an election would be a very close thing.

Conversely, if he actually puts some runs on the board, then he’ll have a big win. He doesn’t even needs to put a lot of runs up there, just enough to show that he can actually get some things done.

As long as he doesn’t get obstructed by his own ratbag rump. ■■■■■■ bible-bashing right-wingers give me the toms.

The tendency to waffle on is endearing at the moment.

Last politician to actually implement a lot of policies successfully - ie argue them through the lower house & senate - was Gillard. And in doing so ■■■■■■ off a lot of the right wing of the ALP.
Why would anyone bother making waves, when various factions of both majors are so stuck in their ways?
Plenty of right wingers in the LNP are just waiting for Malcolm to make a mistake.
Read anything Bolt’s written in the past few months, he absolutely hates him.

As long as he doesn’t get obstructed by his own ratbag rump. ■■■■■■ bible-bashing right-wingers give me the toms.

Thanks

You’re a bible bashing central humanist Icey, much milder symptoms

Last politician to actually implement a lot of policies successfully - ie argue them through the lower house & senate - was Gillard. And in doing so ■■■■■■ off a lot of the right wing of the ALP.
Why would anyone bother making waves, when various factions of both majors are so stuck in their ways?
Plenty of right wingers in the LNP are just waiting for Malcolm to make a mistake.
Read anything Bolt’s written in the past few months, he absolutely hates him.

I suppose I was assuming that if he gets real things done, he will do so with general support and having won the debates about them convincingly. They’re probably reasonable assumptions, actually, I think. And as for the loony fringe of his own party, they’ll be outvoted if Turnbull has general public support, and they’re of little interest to anyone but themselves.

Seems that politicians are only respected when they say or do nothing.

No wonder standards are slipping. If you had any talent for the job, then why on earth would you bother when there are other roles in the private sector where you are actually appreciated for what you do.

Goes for both sides of the fence.

Indeed. They are all paid to do a job…just ■■■■■■ well do it. Not flippin’ hard.

Why do Christians tend to be predominately conservative anyway? Jesus absolutely hated the rich. He basically said, give away all your possessions.