Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

My favourite bit of doublespeak (which the SMH and other Aus outlets seem to have swallowed) is “17 victims, plus a number injured”

In what universe are you not a victim, if you’ve been shot??

5 Likes

Awaiting the standard WP “good things people do with guns” post.

2 Likes

It’s happened.

Humanity is doomed.

LOL.

5 Likes

He trained in a radical terrorist cell.
The animating ideology is white nationalism.
But I think the PROBLEM is the ideology of trying to sell more assault rifles, isn’t it?

Bullshit, just like most of you comments here. It is a meaningless platitude trotted out by those who couldn’t give a ■■■■ that their own citizens are killing each other. Wait until someone at one of the schools these ■■■■■■ send their kids to gets hit, and one of their kids or grand-kids doesn’t come home from school ever again.

This is a political issue, because the political party that you think ■■■■■ rainbows gets too much money in their own greedy little pockets to make sure gun control doesn’t ever happen. Trump, as head of that party should be doing more than offering meaningless platitudes. He is the ■■■■■■■ President of the most powerful nation on the planet, but so long as his pockets and those of his family and friends are being filled with blood money, he won’t do a ■■■■■■■ thing to stop it.

5 Likes

I disagree a bit with your 99.99% figure, but I’m not gonna split hairs over something this abhorrent, and I’m not gonna keep arguing with you, as this topic really upsets me too much.

To be honest, the need for drastic gun reform (or geez, even ‘some’) in that country is so ■■■■■■■ obvious - and has been for as long as I can remember - that it feels weird to keep having to say it.

But as many have already said. If Sandy Hook didn’t bring about change… What will? I wonder how big and horrific an incident would need to be for it to be the one that instigates change?

It couldn’t get bigger than the Vegas shooting

Why not? People suffering from anxiety most certainly are mentally ill. Anxious people have been known to make irrational decisions. Nothing wrong with placing them on a register while they receive treatment. For reference, my son is being treated for anxiety.

Mass shooting of pollies may change their mind.

How on earth would it be policed/administered/enforced?

Daily checks whether everyone’s had their meds? Weekly psych sessions?

Unworkable. IMO.

Nope. While being medicated they are ineligible to get a gun license, and if they already have one and have guns, then they are to relinquish their firearms and license until such time as treatment ceases. Also place the onus on the prescribing doctor that they must inform local authorities that they have prescribed medication for that person. They don’t need to disclose the diagnosis, only that the person is being medicated with a substance that may trigger irrational behaviour. Then up to the police to enforce the law.

The problem is every gun shop owner in every small town would know who is on the mentally ill register. And the register would not differentiate between a genuine psychopath and someone suffering from something like anxiety.

I’m still struggling to rationalise a world where you can just go buy and AR15, why?

3 Likes
5 Likes

Both of which should not have access to an automatic weapon. Don’t give me this semi ■■■■ either, AR 15 burst fire 10 rounds a second.

Here is a staggering fact:

The AR 15 was used in this shooting

It was also the gun used at Sandy Hook

WHY ARE PEOPLE ALLOWED TO HAVE THESE WEAPONS

this is the only topic worth discussing

1 Like

Instead of having lists and registers of people who shouldn’t have access to guns, it should be a register of people who can.

And it should be a very, very small list, and it should take a long time and a lot of background checks to get on it.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Can not wait for Trump to reverse course and agree with the Senate and Congress on sanctions against Russia… Oh who am I kidding…

2 Likes