Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

3 Likes

So if you refuse to take the meds, or refuse to tell the doc the full extent of symptoms: you’re A OK?

Doesn’t make sense.

Doesn’t matter whether they take their meds or not. If a doctor prescribes medication, they don’t get a license until the same doctor attests that their treatment has finished. If they are on meds for life, they never get a license.

unless they’re willing to lie, a flawless plan!

(People lie. People often lie)

1 Like

Yes they do. They also never seek treatment. But many more do, and you can at least catch them. You can’t stop everyone, you never could. What you can do is institute measures to gather as many as possible to reduce the overall risk. No-one has ever said that implementing a single bill will achieve everything they want, but it is a place to start. What would be better is the total removal of the Second Amendment and the implementation of sensible gun ownership laws, like only being allowed to own single shot weapons (weapons where you need to pull the trigger each and every time a shot is fired) as opposed to semi-automatic military grade rifles except by special license involving very thorough background checks. Needing a valid reason like protecting livestock from predation by large carnivores (read bears, wolves, cougars etc) or being a member of a shooting club. Being required by law to keep all weapons in a locked gun safe. Not being allowed to walk around with a pistol in plain sight or even worse, concealed carry. These are the sorts of things they need to start doing if they want to see and end to their children being murdered in record numbers, or becoming the murderers themselves.

1 Like

100% ban on assault rifles.
End of story.

1 Like

Mitt Romney to run for the Senate.

Florida shooting victim’s aunt: ‘She probably had been kind to the student who shot her’

THE grieving aunt of the first victim publicly identified in the Florida mass shooting has lashed out at the National Rifle Association and told America the family “doesn’t want your hopes and prayers”.

Student Jaime Guttenberg, 14, was killed by accused gunman Nikolas Cruz on Wednesday, when he allegedly shot his way into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida and opened fire on dozens of people with a semi-automatic weapon. At least 17 teachers and students died and many more were injured.

Ms Guttenberg’s aunt Abbie Youkilis has written an open letter, provided exclusively to news.com.au, in response to the tragedy.

Dear America,

We buried my brother, Dr. Michael Guttenberg, this past October. He was a 9/11 hero and 16 years later he died of a 9/11 related cancer. Our country came together after the 9/11 terrorist attacks to overcome evil. We fought two wars, we subjected ourselves to onerous changes in air travel security, and we willingly gave up civil liberties to give ourselves the illusion of safety.

But we are not safe. This weekend we will bury my niece. Her name is Jaime Guttenberg and she was the 14 year-old daughter of my brother Fred and sister-in-law Jen. She was Jesse’s younger sister. Yesterday, she was murdered by a gun at her high school in Parkland Florida.

Jaime was in the 9th grade. She was a pretty girl with the world’s best smile and her soul was sensitive and compassionate. She was intelligent and feisty and she danced with beauty and grace. She always looked out for the underdog and the bullied and she probably had been kind to the student who shot her. She planned to grow up and become a mommy and an occupational therapist.

Fred and Jen are the world’s most loving and over-protective parents but they could not protect Jaime from the sickness that has gripped our country. Unless we change, nobody can protect us. My friends and fellow citizens, your guns are not protecting you. Your guns are killing our kids.

Why is your hunting hobby more important than my niece’s life? Don’t you see that your “second amendment” rights have been twisted and distorted beyond any rational interpretation? Why should my niece have been sacrificed at the altar of your “freedoms?”

Why don’t you trust our police to protect us from crime? Don’t you realise that mental illness has been and always will be a part of the human condition and that weapons of war should not be available to those among us who dream of mayhem and death? Don’t you see the blood on all of our hands?

I don’t care that Nikolas Cruz did this. If it had not been him, it would have been some other sad sick young man. I do care that he was able to legally purchase an assault weapon. I do care that the NRA and our so-called political leaders enabled him.

I don’t care if Nikolas spends the rest of his life in jail or gets the death penalty. That will not bring back Jaime and it won’t stop your kids from being the next victims of a “versatile, customizable” deadly weapon of war. I do care that the National Rifle Association (NRA) is dismantled. I do care that our Congress and our President (need to) outlaw these technologically sophisticated tools of murder just like

every other civilised country on this planet. Failure to act will make our politicians complicit in Jaime’s murder. I want them to face charges and I want them brought to justice.

My family does not want your hopes and prayers. We want your action. Join us in fighting the NRA. Join us in deposing any politician who cares more about campaign contributions than my beautiful Jaime. Join us in supporting leaders who will bravely fight for our children’s lives.

Don’t tell me not to politicise this. Jaime would want me to. This is political and now this is personal. If not now, when? If not us, who? If we don’t finally ACT, the sickness of gun violence will kill us all.

Sincerely yours,

Abbie Youkilis MD

I agree with Abbie, heart wrenching though to know (not think) nothing will change.

8 Likes

I dropped my daughter at school this morning (as I do each Friday) and as we entered the school my thoughts kept going to the parents of the kids killed this week. What an unimaginable loss. I would go insane with grief. My heart just breaks for them and their families. What a failure of us as a nation.

4 Likes

The screenshots of the texts attached to this tweet really stopped me in my tracks:

That is chilling to read.

1 Like

Trump still won’t enact the sanctions that passed Congress.

Obama tried to release a bi-partisan statement during the 2016 campaign about Russian interference, but Senate Majority Leader McConnell blocked it. Obama probably should have just independantly released the statement even if it left himself open to accusations of partisanship.

1 Like

I was wondering this morning if kids just started boycotting going to school if something would be done. I also heard an interview with one of the kids from the school who thought that if one of the teachers had a gun it might have been ok. A whole generation in the US is ready to continue arguing over gun control.

“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people - maybe there is, I don’t know.”

• Donald J. Trump, referring to Hillary Clinton in a campaign rally in Wilmington, NC, August 9, 2016
1 Like

One of the parents of the kids who attends the school (not injured) said something like “yeah these things need to stop, kids need to be safe. But the government shouldn’t take my gun away.”

That’s over 18 months old. Irrelevant.

1 Like

I’ve read a few suggesting that arming teachers is somehow a solution or putting armed military vets in schools is the answer. Luckily ex-military personnel never lose their marbles…

7 Likes

Wasn’t there an armed security officer on location but didn’t get involved?

I can’t imagine you could pay those people to go one on one with an AR-15 wielding idiot

I haven’t heard that reported before.

The Hollywood, wild wild west, fantasy land stuff where the hero strolls in John Wayne style to kill the bad guy seems to be believed by an alarming amount of people.

4 Likes

Why Dems don’t run on this issue is beyond me. The NRA is a replublican institution so that ain’t going to change regardless. The vast majority of Americans are actually for gun control measures like

• liscenses
  • background checks
  • no automatic weapons
  • no violent criminals

Etc… yet Dems don’t want to touch it, they really have a low melting point. It should be front and centre.

The RNC on the other hand are actually trying to make it easier for gun owners, they are trying to pass legislation on silencers and concealed weapons ffs. The fact is these Fox News wackos don’t believe gun control will save lives and Dems don’t want to touch it.