Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Just for future clarification do you actually believe this is what is/was happening or are you just stating what you think Kapernick believes?

I think looking at any number of cases over the last few years shows that there is systemic bias against African Americans when it comes to the way they are treated by police. And its not just from White officers either. Here is a helpful article:

You know IT, I respect (respected?) your opinion in the sense that we have had numerous back and forths in the past. That is the only reason I even replied. I wish you well.

You posted crap then. Colin Kapernick was a crap QB, that’s why he doesn’t have a job. Same reason Tebow doesn’t have a job there either. Not the kneeling stuff (for different reasons).

Let me make it clearer for you - do YOU actually believe that police are or were deliberately setting out to shoot black people simply for being black?

Ok, let’s be clear then. No one is “deliberately setting out” to go shoot black people. The point (and again, to be clear, I agree with it) is that there are many, many instances where a person ended up getting shot/killed/hurt solely because they were black. A non-black person in the same situation (getting pulled over a la Philando Castile, getting arrested a la Freddy Gray, getting cited for selling cigarettes illegally a la Eric Garner) would be far less likely to get killed.

Yes, I do believe that.

4 Likes

This explains the recent “NO COLLUSION” tweets,

1 Like

When she “Dabbed” with Ellen it was far worse than trump letting that moron Jimmy Fallon ruffle his hair.

None, if any, U.S. bank will lend to his ventures.

1 Like

I read a breakdown of the shooting statistics a while back. I think it was on 538, but I can’t remember. It looked at who shoots who.

The most shot group are blacks. The most common shooter of blacks is police.

The second or third most shot group is police. The most common shooter of police is blacks.

So you have a situation where blacks and police are commonly shooting each other.

Blacks don’t trust police, because they keep being shot by them, partly due to socioeconomic issues leading to crime.

Police are extremely wary of blacks because they keep being shot by them. Police are constantly exposed to this risk and naturally will draw and fire when they feel threatened. This leads to racial profiling and innocent blacks being shot.

It’s sad, it’s human and it’s fairly logical that the BLM movement would result from this situation.

I think you might want to re-visit those statistics. The most common shooter of blacks is by far other blacks (about 90%). The most shot group by police is whites.

Thought you weren’t coming back here after your hissy fit.

1 Like

Ok. Fair enough. I’m doing this from memory.

On a per capita basis, blacks are more likely to be shot by police than whites are. The larger white population means more white people get shot, despite the lower per capita rate of shootings.

And yes. Blacks shooting blacks is the most common. Police came in second.

I stand by the point of my post though. This is a perfectly understandable human response to trends that police are experiencing.

You would think then that a more perfectly understandable human response would be blacks focusing their angst on other blacks but of course this issue has never really been about logic. BTW please check your facts AGAIN because you are misrepresenting the facts. While approx 90% of blacks are killed by other blacks there are still more blacks killed by whites than by police. More whites are killed by blacks than vice versa by more than double. Its a hell of a lot closer than black on black crime but still I think you need to be more accurate. Yes absolutely on a per capita basis blacks are statistically more likely to be shot by police. I think this has far more to do with the fact that blacks are committing violent crimes including killing police at far higher per capita rates than any other demographic than it has to do with any form of racism leading police to kill blacks in situations where they somehow wouldn’t have killed whites.
I can absolutely accept that violent interactions between US police & the public is a serious issue & I’m not doubting the likelihood that some % of police would have negative perceptions of all blacks. I’ve just never seen anything to make me consider that racism is the significant driver. If Blacks were not committing such huge proportions of crimes & were still being shot at higher levels I would think BLM had some merit. If police were shooting other races at similar levels (white supremacists hate other races too don’t they) then again it would have merit. Cops shooting the people who commit crimes more than the people who don’t is not racism - its a real logical human response.

Who the fark still says ‘blacks’?

3 Likes

Black lives matter, every statistic on crime, Don Mania!

It’s the tone and context though in the above posts.

Black people, sure.

Blacks isn’t used by anyone anymore unless they don’t read, listen or know black people

3 Likes

I knew I was going to put my foot in it somewhere in that post. Point taken.

Not the piece I was thinking about, but explains how black people are shot more than white people even when you normalise the data for crime rate. It’s a messy, complex issue, but racism plays a part, be it intensional or subconscious.

1 Like