Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Same here in Australia, maybe not shootings, but some p isspoor treatment in most places.

Again the article doesn’t ever make any real clarification or justifications for the assertions simply provides anecdotal connections. Yes blacks are twice as likely to be killed but are 8 times more likely to be killers - it doesn’t normalise that statistic. Are police more likely to come in contact with poorer people - sure, the connection between poverty & crime is very real & there can also be no denying that particularly in certain areas, there are higher ratios of poor among black communities. Does this mean cops are bias against the poor - I think that has far more merit even in the facts the article presents than a wider issue of racism. Are there racist cops - it would seem illogical to suggest they don’t exist I just don’t see racism as the real issue here. If I’m a cop & I know the statistics then again I would say its a logical human response to react to those realities. What some seem to be proposing is that police actively not use statistics or probability at all in policing. I think thats downright madness & dangerous. Again that certainly doesn’t mean any assumptions of guilt based on race or targeting of races for police violence I just don’t want a situation where police are restricted in pursuing crimes to appease political agendas.

BTW I’m not sure if your article is relevant as it uses the b word. I’ve been told that nobody uses it anymore unless of course they didn’t read the article they wrote :wink:

Ha!

I actually think we aren’t that far apart. I agree that the issue is heavily caused by the higher poverty and crime rates in black communities. I agree that police should pursue crimes, no matter the race or class. And we both agree that there shouldn’t be racial targeting. I think we aren’t far apart on cops sometimes being biased when they feel threatened or have negative experiences with a group.

Where we differ is the cause of bias. I think it’s far easier to notice someone’s race than it is to notice their socioeconomic background. I think it is quite human to react to something as immediately obvious as race. We’ve been doing it for all of history and our attempts to wipe out racism in modern culture are mediocre at best.

We humans are very good at pattern recognition, our brains take shortcuts based off our previous experience, so it’s understandable that cops start to treat people based somewhat on how their group has behaved before. It’s probably not conscious, it won’t impact every interaction between a black person and a cop. It is present though and could easily be the straw that breaks the camel’s back to push a tense situation into a deadly one. When you add that risk to the millions of interactions between cops and black people each year, you are going to get bad outcomes.

But if you don’t believe that humans often make snap judgments based off race, then I don’t think I can convince you otherwise. And if you agree with everything I said, just substituting poverty for race, you’ve a more positive view on humanity than I do.

2 Likes

Sorry, but who gives a stuff if what percentage of different groups get shot by different groups? The reality is that we know racism is a huge thing in the US police force (have a look at the numerous Federal and State reviews of different policing districts), and we over the last 4-5 years have a wide range of taped interactions of police and African Americans where the African Americans get shot for little reason. And you know if these are the ones captured on tape, they’re the tip of the iceberg.

That just should not be happening. The government via the police should not be shooting its citizens, just because they’re a bit scared. African Americans should not be held to a higher standard of non-threatening behaviour to avoid getting shot.

3 Likes

Another Sunday morning twitter meltdown. What a miserable man.

Miserable?
Haha

There is nobody more miserable than a TDS sufferer. You all think the world is about to end.

I looked this up because I was intrigued. I can spot two: Cyrus Vance (77-80) , and then Edmund Muskie (80-81). Where are the other six coming from? I can’t spot any cabinet position that had more than two people serve in the role over Carter’s term.

1 Like

LOL
57%20PM

3 Likes

The end of the world as we know it is a legitimate fear, it’s already happened in many ways. One example of how it will very likely come about in a most awful way is, given the universal Conservative approach to environmental protection - that is, roll back any and all protection in the name of JOBS!! (read, make rich get richer quicker) - a pandemic will very likely wipe out a large percentage of us in the next few decades. Billy Gates, hardly a comrade you’d say, thinks the chance of it happening in his lifetime is well over 50%. He’s probably done a bit of research too. If you’ve got kids that’s a fear. If you don’t it’s an excuse to drink more.

Much scarier than big tough talking trolls kissing the rusty rings of mentally deranged, born to wealth conmen.

1 Like

And then, there was the Nixon night of the long knives. That went well.

1 Like

Keep the US safe - arm everyone

1 Like

A bit of levity - fact beats fiction . The Buzzfeed report and other articles on the Felix Sater -Trump connection sure beat any movie plot - convicted felon, mafia links, immunity as US spy ( had Bin Laden’s telephone numbers, plus the numbers of the US supplied weapons to the Muhajiden taken over by Bin Laden) . Trump can’t remember him, worked a few doors down from him, photographed with him. What will Mueller make of all this.

1 Like

This:

And, then this:

2 Likes

TDS! TDS!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s…
"

"

Can we just all be sensible for a second here?

2 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

Pfft, that’s probably just some random group totally unrelated to the Trump campaign.

3 Likes

LOL - Political candidate (or someone using his name) spends money on data analytics.

STOP THE PRESS.

$130k easy money.

1 Like

If you remove the Trump filter and look at all payments to Cambridge Analytica you’ll see lots of payments from the Ted Cruz campaign and “Make America Number 1” which was the group that informally called itself “defeat crooked Hiliary” and was headed by Kelly-Ann Conway and included Steve Bannon.

I checked because I was I was wondering if they’d also been used by the Democrats too. There were no payments from the Democrats.

If you remove the Cambridge Analytica filter and look at all payments made by the Trump Campaign, the $5M payment is the largest made to a non-advertising company. Coming in second is a $2.9M credit card payment to American Express (!!!). The size of the payment makes it stick out like a sore thumb. It would be interesting to know what services were being paid for.

If I’m not mistaken the largest payment falls the month leading up to the Wikileaks emails leak. It would be interesting to know if and of Trump’s $5M made it’s way to Wikileaks. Trumps a smart guy, I’m sure he would know if he were somehow paying Wikileaks for something and he did mention them a lot in the speeches where he was publicly pleading for them to dig up dirt on Hiliary. Perhaps he was also privately offering them a financial encouragement.

I’m sure the FBI investigation is capable of following the money trail so if it exists back to Russian government interests then Trump should be in a lot of trouble.

1 Like