Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Bolton was a disaster under Dubya. Drained the swamp and replaced it with a cesspit.

2 Likes

“Drain the swamp” phrase was from market research out of Cambridge Analytica. Trump didn’t like it, it sounded “hokey” to him, but once he used it to great effect he embraced it.

It wasn’t his intention to “drain the swamp”, it was just a neat phrase to excite voters.

How do you feel about Henneman being tapped for a Department of Justice role? Or you would prefer Berbakov?

I prefer Berbakov for that position. He had much better judgement.

Would’ve been a gun Attorney General before he did his knee, not sure he’s got it in him now.

1 Like

More of an Associate Attorney General. He can’t take the big gorillas.

You wouldn’t want Dean Wallis as Secretary for Health.

2 Likes

Berbakov would go for collusion, 6 weeks and the finals have already started.

Ms Daniels appears to have footage…

Ewww.
Video Nasty.

1 Like

Is that the whiff of a smoking gun?
DNC hacked.
Trump campaigners release chats showing contact with hacker, intended to debunk Kremlin link.
Hacker forgot to use VPN showing his IP address at GRU.
Hacker turns out to be a GRU agent.

Not the Onion.

2 Likes

My first reaction was to laugh at the absurdity of it. But thinking about it, it would probably be somewhat effective. The effect of a barrage of 1/2kg stones thrown at a doorway shouldn’t be downplayed. With a bit of luck you could KO the shooter, but at a minimum he wouldn’t have freedom to walk into any room he chose unhindered. I far prefer a few rocks in a classroom than a gun. ■■■■■■ stupid situation that this is a good option.

1 Like

The calm before the Stormy.*

• I did not come up with that. Saw it on twitter. Someone far more humorous than me.

To be honest, I don’t blame him. That can hardly be classified as a “debt”, right?

Trump’s latest lawyers are not joining his team after all. Joseph diGenova and Victoria Toensing were announced in the wake of John Dowd resigning, but their firm represents other clients in Trump/Russia and this represents a conflict.

Getting desperate to hire any lawyer maybe?

It certainly seems difficult. I don’t think he actually has a lead lawyer for Trump/Russia at present. McGahn is the White House Counsel, iirc Ty Cobb technically represents the WH not Trump privately in Trump/Russia, Sekulow is an attorney for Trump himself but his expertise may not be in the right field — I think? Edit: I think I confused Sekulow and Kasowitz (who seems to have disappeared from stories about Trump’s legal team) here. There is also Cohen who is for ineffectively paying off and threatening people not potential constitutional matters.

Trump was slower than others, like Kushner for example, to get private representation. This ruled out a number, then he was turned down by other DC firms. Ruling out more.

He has a reputation for being a vindictive and difficult client who doesn’t listen, blames anyone but himself if things go wrong, and doesn’t pay bills.

He watched diGenova on TV espousing the theory that Mueller was conspiring to frame the President. That was the genesis of that now aborted hire.

If you look at his tweet he is already pre-emptively shaming his future lawyers as being only interested in fame and money.

1 Like

Shulkin out at the Dept of Veterans Affairs. The WH doctor for the past 3 Presidents, Admiral Ronny Jackson, nominated to be Trump’s latest cabinet secretary.

The NY Times reports that John Dowd, Trump’s now former lawyer, had discussed pardons with lawyers for Flynn and Manafort last year.

In a court filing the Special Counsel says that Manafort and Gates worked with someone they knew to have connections to Russian intelligence during 2016.

US GDP numbers came in higher than expected at 2.9% (vs plan of 2.7%)

4% increase in consumer spending

AUD now at the lowest level against the greenback for the year