Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

I worked in law enforcement. First thing I would consider in a threat assessment is access to a firearm.

So they are happy to invade privacy and substantially increase the size of government to undertake such threat assessments.

4 Likes

Thinking about a threat assessment you consider intent and capability.

Intent
You would need to determine the characteristics of a mass shooter. Develop profiles using advanced analytics. Then you would either need consent or legislative change to enable government to run the profile.

Then if you get a match abd can demonstrate intent - thats a big if - what next?

You look at capability.

You would determine access and proximity to firearms. Firearms because of its ability to kill multiple people quickly. For completeness sake you would also need to consider other weapons and improvised devices.

So, you run a gun licence check and see the person has immediate and other family members who own or have access to firearms. Do you alert them? What if they are co conspirators? Has a crime been committed? Have you reached the bar of belief to detain and question?

Then What? Do you take these guns away from the accessibility of the person who has shown intent?

You still end up with a solution of taking guns away.

4 Likes

To paraphrase the tweet that led me to the below, this is the US in one tweet:

So, if that guy didn’t have cancer, then his wife wouldn’t have had to work, so it’s all his fault.

Nice post!

OK, given what you have written the NRA has the influence to ensure that people named on the FBI’s people of interest/ potential terrorist list are not prevented from possessing or obtaining firearms.

If that is true, then there is no point in conducting a threat assessment if you aren’t willing to take away the firearms. And, given the person may not be the direct owner of the firearm, they may have easy access through family members and friends, there would need to be consideration of taking away their guns to migrate the threat. Again, I can’t see the point of it if taking guns away is not an option.

Well, serves the Bears right for not speaking in English.

Such a decent and compassionate place merika

1 Like

Mmmmmmmm, bacon and donuts…

Careful George, some redneck will shoot you.

1 Like

Mainpic
Come at me, bro!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Jesus.

Pfft, that chart could mean anything. They even included Luxembourg. Everyone knows Luxembourg is made-up, just like fairies, the Easter Bunny and Eskimos.

2 Likes

And Australia

Diet would be a big factor

Americans eat total crap. Must take a decent wack of life expectancy.

That’s before the assessment of access to health care for the poor.

Yeah, and it’s also totally skewed by all them illegal immigants.

I also wonder about the cancer rates here and if just being in an environment surrounded by plastic consumption, preservatives etc means that even eating “healthy” wouldn’t help?

And gun deaths

Doesn’t help life expectancy when you murder 10,000’s of young men.

Just boggles my mind that the US can’t sort themselves out with healthcare when it is simultaneously the worst and most expensive on earth.