Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Mmm, … relevant that. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve seen more beggars and homeless here in San Francisco than I ever have in Australia. Lucky people.

3 Likes

Absolutely - And they need to get over that Trump is the President - How many times can you discuss a ‘clown’.

You don’t have to be proud, but at the same time, you don’t need to continually whinge about the situation - I’ll add America has been a basket case for a long time and I doubt much will change in the future.

In my view, as someone who has been travelling regularly to the USA since 1975, the US Media coverage of Trump is no different to any other President. Some of the tone is different, but not the amount.

It is the coverage that Trump gets in the rest of the World that is increased. And he is no “clown”, it is all part of his " us and them" plan that will see him re-elected for a Second Term…

It’s less a plan than it is who he is. He may well be re-elected, incumbents usually are.

Speaking of clowns, right wing commentator Ann Coulter just called the children swept up in this “child actors”.

1 Like

I wish it were as simple as “getting over it”. Unfortunately, as a citizen and resident of this country, I feel the responsibility to highlight the depths to which we are plunging. It is a civic responsibility. Covering my eyes and pretending all is ok is not feasible for me. I have a family I worry about, a nation’s future linked to my own, and access to enough REAL NEWS to know that this is not normal.

7 Likes

American vs Australian politics is a funny thing. They’re dysfunctional as ■■■■ over there, but even so there’s been a genuine groundswell of revulsion against the excesses of their immigration authorities and the mistreatment of children.

Whereas here, this sort of eternal imprisonment outside the reach of decent medical care or the light of media coverage has been bipartisan policy for a decade, and even in the supposedly more lefty of the major parties, the most serious moral opposition you get is the occasional feeble ‘hey, maybe this isn’t perhaps perfectly ideal?’ from someone like Kearney who is then quickly slapped down by her cynical ■■■■■■■■ party bosses and meekly goes votes party line when the rubber hits the road.

It’s nice but shaming to see that Americans seem to have a measure of conscience about the brutalisation of refugees that we in Australia have long since abandoned because it might cost us 2% in the marginals in western Sydney.

10 Likes

I think the key difference is the separation of children from their families. It’s cruelty for the sake of it.

The pacific island detentions, as horrible as they are, can at least be justified by the prevention of deaths at sea. From what I know, families have been left intact.

Now I don’t like Australia’s model, I think a more humane alternative could be found. I do believe it has saved lives, but has destroyed many people in the process.

America, well that’s just turning into a badly scripted evil stereotype.

Why are so many people that desperate to illegally migrate to racist, evil America?
Maybe it has got something going for it after all.

The Senate just voted to block Trump’s attempt to lift the ban on ZTE, the Chinese telecom company. 85-10.

2 Likes

Ann Coulter is telling people the kids crying in the border videos are “child actors”. These people are dead inside.

7 Likes

First day at uni in Melbourne I saw a poster:
“White Australia has a Black History”

18yo me didn’t quite grasp it all given I had been in Australia all of 14 months.

May I paraphrase?
“White America has a Brown History”

We have erased our Native American, first people population. Put them on reservations where unemployment rates are 2-4x of normal. And now, we are determined NOT to let BROWN kids and families escaping persecution, poverty, and abuse into our country.

This was never about “Make America Great Again”. It was always about “Don’t Make America Brown Again”.

And as I’m sure you are aware, so called ‘Hispanics’ from Mexico & Central America are Native American or Mestizo. So more of the same really.

1 Like

You know it’s wrong when even your first lady says it is wrong.

1 Like

Which countries would they be and why on earth would they then be wanting to migrate into the racist United States?
Maybe they should try Canada or heaven forbid, even the wealthy denizens of San Francisco can donate their homes and jobs up.

Hey, you know what’s in the way of Mexico and Canada?

4 Likes

TeH LeFt?

11 Likes

Trump has said that he has directed the Pentagon to create a Space Force, separate but equal to the Air Force.

This is one Trump policy I remain 100% behind, except for the name.

Don’t forget America still has a spectrum of media to bounce things off their public. We have Alan Jones, Andrew Bolt and Ray Hadley yelling at many clouds as well as The Today show and Sunrise glittering turds every morning in any households who are interested in news at that time. Then there’s Rupe’s World version of reality newspapers and website. All this is slightly tempered by a sprinkle of Fairfax, a half gagged ABC and a foreign owned Guardian Australia.

1 Like