Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

I just like the quote.

2 Likes

We’re all farking carnts of a degree from time to time. Some more than others…

Trip, I have 3 questions.

1. Do you have moral issues with separating children from their families?

2. What do you see as the purpose of the policy and is it effective?

3. Do you have concerns about the impact this policy will have on the midterm results?

Traditionally a story like this would result in a universal backlash from all, but in this climate the response is still very much based on party lines. I’m curious about what Republicans see as the positives here.

It’s remarkably similar to the list I found of cowards who literally have the power to start doing something about it but aren’t/won’t.

And people ask me to ban him. The best parody account on blitz.

2 Likes

Blitz is a wonderful communist state.

1. Depends on the situation. If the child is in a dangerous situation then of course it’s best to separate.

2. The law has been in since 2007. Obviously Obama, Clinton and co were ok with it for 8 years. Purpose of policy is to dissuade illegal migration and yes it is very effective.

3. No impact at all. May even gain votes. As stated above, policy has been in since 2007.

SAD TROMBONE SOUND

Relevant parts…

Before the Trump administration, most families who crossed the border illegally were held together in Customs and Border Patrol detention facilities and entered civil proceedings. After the Obama administration expanded family detention centers, federal courts ruled that families could be held for only 20 days, in most cases.

But immigration courts have huge backlogs. Cases take an average of 561 days to resolve. Immigrants cannot be deported until they have had a court hearing, so they were generally released until their court dates.

And since the Trump administration?

Family separation is, however, a direct consequence of the administration’s decision to criminally prosecute every person who crosses the border illegally.

Who made that decision?

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the policy change April 6. He said in a prepared statement that a “crisis has erupted at our Southwest Border that necessitates an escalated effort to prosecute those who choose to illegally cross our border.”

3 Likes

Trump can stop it with a phone call.

Congress can also stop it, though Trump has indicated that he’ll veto narrow legislation that just targets this problem, because he’s using it to try and get funding for his wall. Congress can still remember it is a co-equal branch and pass something on family separation with a veto proof majority.

I know I already quoted this post, but I came across this even better article

The legislation, spearheaded by Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein (Calif.), would only allow children to be separated from a parent if they are being abused, trafficked or if a court decides “it is in the best interests of the child.”

No Republican senator has said they will support Feinstein’s bill, which would need 60 votes to clear the Senate.

Cowards.

3 Likes

On the Republican side there is also Ted Cruz’s legislation.

EFA

I’ll focus just on the midterms issue.

Midterms are won and lost almost exclusively on turnout. The historical trend is a swing against the incumbent. The GOP is currently behind in polling by ~8 points and special elections have been having 17-30% swings to the Democrats. The GOP has a gerrymandering advantage, but if the swing is 10 points or more, that wall breaks and the Dems obliterate the GOP. At current polling the gerrymandering should hold, but turnout will be the difference on the day.

There’s a very small majority of Republicans that are in favour of this policy. Most of the time Republicans are hugely supportive of anything Trump does, so a weak reception says many people are worried but some will back Trump nevertheless. That doesn’t look like a factor that will motivate extra votes, it’s more likely to suppress moderates from turning out.

As for Democrat turnout… if you tried to script an issue to inflame the Dem base and get independents to vote, this is it. You have children being forcibly removed from their families, being put into cages in camps and photographed wearing arm bands… those words I highlighted are gold for political campaigns.

The GOP should be ■■■■■■■ terrified about this issue. If this runs to November it will guarantee the Democrats the house and despite all the odds, possibly even the senate.

3 Likes

ttps://www.thenation.com/article/human-rights-groups-blast-obamas-plan-open-new-immigrant-family-detention-centers/

Nothing but crickets when Obama was in charge.

Standard for the Left though. All about the side, not the issue.

Lol, Obama was a Leftie ??

Not even in your wildest dreams

3 Likes

Was more referring to the regular posters on here Mr Fox but I take your point.

This. The cherry picking is ridiculous

That’s hilarious coming from you.

7 Likes

We can’t go back in time. Is it right or wrong? Obama is gone and can’t fix it. Should Trump fix it? I think yes.

Particularly since using the law to split up every family that arrives is his call since April, worsening a problem that was largely about unaccompanied minors. 2000 kids in 6 weeks. Particularly as ICE has an enduring problem, as E12 has themself argued, of losing kids to people smugglers or simply being unable to account for where they ended up.

Should Congress fix it? Probably even better if they do.

Obama’s gone. Trump can act now to not separate families while they are processed. He took a problem and exacerbated it.

After previously claiming to have been taken out of context when it was suggested that he had referred to immigrants as “animals” Trump has now tweeted out that he doesn’t want America to be “infested” with immigrants. Definitely moving towards an overt posture.