Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Then avoid the US. One of if not the shortest leave period in the western world, no maternity leave, and some of the worst upwards mobility in the western world.

And if you have a problem with your employer (and they’re a big company) nowadays your usually forced to use a private tribunal selected and paid for by the employer…

2 Likes

And the only developed country with a flatlife expectancy.

Do faq has vanders been smoking??

I want some.

1 Like

Well you sure made it sound like all the low paid workers in the US are living the high life…

3 Likes

Are there 10 million bars in NYC looking for staff?

1 Like

only after the tit job my friend.

I have a friend in the US who has a medical debt.
I’ve always been embarrassed to ask how much it is, but I know that it never goes away.

Maybe I should mention the bartender thing.

6 Likes

My cousin managed ‘The Australian’ bar in Manhattan for several years & never earnt anywhere near six figures. He was also required to work brutal hours (12-14 hour days were the norm). With a wife & two small kids, he pretty much burnt himself out. Pulled the pin on the States & returned to OZ last year with his family. They are enjoying a much healthier & higher standard of living in Australia.

5 Likes

Some time ago, the Mayor of New York brought in a system of reduced rents ( which covered heating) - pegged for around 20 years - for middle class workers in Manhattan to resolve the problem of it being a residential enclave for the very rich and the very poor ( neither of whom paid taxes). This was done in cooperation with the private sector developers, by providing concessions.

LOL

3 Likes
2 Likes

Why does only one party want to make voting so hard?

Because Republicans want to protect Democracy of course.

"Officials tossed out the ballots due to missing birthdates, address discrepancies, signatures that do not match those on registration records and other issues, according to the data."

I don’t have a problem with that at all.
Let someone vote who has dodgy details and they scream about it.
Stop them when the details don’t match up and it seems they scream
I don’t know whether the overall thing is suspect, but the reasons above are ok by me.

My first ever job was as an official for the AEC at a polling place. Counting was pretty simple, if it didn’t match the requirements of how to fill out the ballot, it got put in the invalid pile. It was only in the case of a recount that they would be reviewed. Some of those may be shifted back to a party, but the majority were junk. There were a lot, and I mean a LOT of invalid ballots. To the extent that I have a far lower opinion of my fellow countrymen after seeing that level of incompetence.

And to whoever wrote a 5000 word essay on the back of the senate paper on how compulsory voting is something something… just know that “the man” who received your complaint was a casual employee and only the first 5 words were read before the ballot was thrown in the invalid pile.

8 Likes

I am fine with the reasons but there needs to be a notification element. For example, I just voted by mail here in San Francisco and there is a clear website link that allows me to track my ballot. That way, I know if there is an issue and can rectify it before Nov 6th.

2 Likes

That health care can be a plus for Republicans just shows the electorate has the memory of a goldfish and is as informed as an ostrich with its head in the ground.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with that.

This reminds me of John Howard and the “boats are coming” right before an election. Of course both sides of the media are breathlessly covering this caravan of ‘immigrants’ few if any of which will make it in to the US:

2 Likes