Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Libertarians can be either Left or Right, … and they steal votes from both sides accordingly.

2 Likes

Libertarians tend to be left on social issues and batshit crazy on all economic ones.

They are the true anarchists.

I would argue that Anarchists believe in a leaderless society with co-operation between all the fundamental rule.

While Libertarians believe in personal liberty as the only rule in any society.

So while there may be some common ground they are somewhat opposed.

Just as many pundits predicted he would immediately after the Mid Terms, Drumpf has fired Jeff Sessions, to get someone in to put the brakes on Mueller.

Fark it just rolls on & on under the Big Top.

What happens next? popcorn

h

This criminal turd is completely shitscared of being investigated in any way, about anything.

Like me, he must dream of him ending up in cuffs and an Orange jump suit.

Also means that Rosenstein, the last good public servant in the building, no longer had oversight of the investigation.

This is bad. Really bad. Heading quickly towards constitutional crisis territory

1 Like

fxd

1 Like

Stock markets cheering the elections while Trump ratchets up the constitutional crisis. Capitalist priorities, eh?

All jokes aside, this is going to get nasty. I need to do some reading but I believe the new House / Senate doesn’t sit until January so wonder if the lame duck can still pass stuff…

Yep. They could have signed in a Kavanagh backup in December if they’d replaced him. Dems only take over in the new year.

US midterm elections: Dead brothel owner Dennis Hof wins Nevada race for Republicans

50 minutes ago

Updated

A man wearing a large black and red shirt and cap|700x467 Photo: Nevada brothel owner Dennis Hof died on October 16 after his 72nd birthday party. (AP: Sue Ogroki)

A brothel-owning, evangelical Christian-backed Republican candidate who died last month has been elected to the Nevada state legislature.

Key points:

• Under Nevada law, Dennis Hof remained on the ballot even after he died
  • He still attracted 68 per cent of the vote, beating Democrat candidate Lesia Romanov
  • Election officials will appoint a candidate from the same party to replace Mr Hof

Dennis Hof, 72, defeated female Democratic candidate and educator Lesia Romanov in the race for Nevada’s 36th Assembly District, earning about 68 per cent of the vote.

County officials said they would appoint a replacement candidate from the same party for his seat.

Mr Hof, who presented himself as an American pimp, was a strip-club owner who ran multiple brothels and was found dead at one of his properties on October 16.

Friends found him dead when they went to wake him for a meeting hours after his 72nd birthday party, his campaign manager, Chuck Muth, said on Twitter.

He had nicknamed himself the “Trump from Pahrump,” after the town where he lived in Nevada.

A piece of paper with a notice about a dead candidate|340x453 Photo: A notice at a polling booth in Pahrump, Nevada informing voters that Republican candidate Dennis Hof is dead, but still appeared on the ballot. (Twitter: @RileySnyder)

In a June interview with Reuters at Moonlite BunnyRanch, his brothel near his home in Pahrump, Nevada, Mr Hof said his political fortunes had parallels with those of US President Donald Trump.

“This really is the Trump movement,” Mr Hof said.

“People will set aside for a moment their moral beliefs, their religious beliefs, to get somebody that is honest in office.”

The thrice-divorced author of The Art of the Pimp, who appeared on HBO program Cathouse, owned a strip club and five legal brothels in Nevada, the only US state with legalised prostitution.

Mr Muth was one of many who predicted last month that Mr Hof would win, stating Republicans had a two-to-one advantage over Democrats in the state assembly district in terms of voter registration.

“I know Republicans in Nevada got massacred tonight, but my man Dennis Hof crushed his opponent from the great beyond in AD-36 & we crushed the anti-brothel initiative in Lyon County by about 80 per cent,” Mr Muth wrote on Twitter.

“So pardon me, but I’m celebrating.”

Reuters

Topics: government-and-politics, world-politics, elections, prostitution, united-states

First posted about an hour ago

imagine being beaten by a dead bloke. that’s a paddlin.

5 Likes

If Democrats want to win the 2020 election they’re going to have to stop expecting Americans to suddenly repudiate him.

After two years of handwringing, enough already.

And for those who expected a tsunami of Americans to reject Mr Trump’s hard-line immigration stance, his bulldog approach to world affairs and trade, his sometimes xenophobic, racist, sexist and contradictory rhetoric, his attacks on the press, his erratic tweeting, his belligerence, out of some sort of epiphany of conscience: it’s time to wake up and realise that’s not going to happen.

Of course the President would spin the result as a win, however in this case it’s not a complete fudge.

Over the last 21 elections the party of the incumbent President has lost an average of 30 seats at midterm elections. People like to use them to send a message halfway through a term, to fire a warning shot before the next Presidential poll.

There have been swings of 24 seats or more in half of the midterm elections since 1994.

2 Likes

Except parties don’t run candidates there like they do here. There are primaries and anyone can run. So that there aren’t more progressive candidates reflects the primary voters or who is choosing to run. Or how well they run.

See. Nothing wrong with that system.

Ummm … I’ll have a crack at that.

He’s there because America is a quite nasty, belligerent, bullying society that wraps itself in a thin veneer of decency, which now of course is being pulled back to expose what lies underneath.

I don’t know why any civilised person would want to live there.

As my ex wife, who is American but now lives here says, “America is a great place, the problem is that it’s full of Americans”

7 Likes

The stock market is happy because with neither the GOP or Democrats holding control there can be no major change in policy. Stability in this regard is what the market wants.
Not saying that is good, just explaining the background.

1 Like

@Ants

There is nothing wrong with voting one’s conscience. The “lesser of two evils” paradigm is frankly, bullshit. Your post reads as though Democrats in AZ were owed those votes for no other reason but for “we’re not Trump”.

Acosta has had his White House credentials taken off him and he’s not allowed in anymore