Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Isn’t the other issue with globalization the way they interact with nation/states? Some of the larger organisations i.e. Apple, Google, are doing their best to sidestep national governments or make themselves immune to local tax laws, labor laws, wage policies, environmental policies e.t.c.
In other instances, such as China, are you dealing with a corporate entity that really is an arm of the government.

1 Like

Yep.

Id also say its a great example of where I’m coming from. There are a lot of side issues or symptoms of globalisation. Current fashion is almost to throw the baby out with the bathwater rather than do the detailed policy work to fix the side issues.

Globalisation through increasing economic activity in poorer countries was supposed to increase taxation revenue in these countries. I don’t think anyone would be surprised that the full benefit has not been captured. How you fix this given as you say many corporations are more powerfull than governments I’m not sure.

1 Like

epic fail then

It’s worked in the countries it’s been embraced in. Not much destabilisation in Asia for example.

I’d argue that economic development has been way more succesfull than economic sanctions. Iran, North Korea, Venezuela, Iraq, Syria, Libya have all had economic sanctions in modern times all failed states.

Where does the USA fit on the list of failed states?

2 Likes

Most of their citizens couldn’t read the list anyway.

2 Likes

Unions are one of the most important aspects of sustainable globalisation, in America the intentionally weakened unions have allowed workers wages to stagnate and their rights be trampled

2 Likes

Yeah agree, thats why I caveated by saying many would not like this goal.

But it was a goal, corporations and right wing think tanks loved globalisation because it hit unions hard.Now they have pulled a shifty and tried to pin globalisation on the left and its the right wing thats the saviour of the common man. I have no idea how they pulled this trick off but its been effective.

2 Likes

Also worth pointing out that those unionised good jobs that have been lost in the west have been given to third world countries that have literally lifted people out of poverty. Its not a simple black and white issue, but has been fertile for those trying to create a tribal narrative “we’ve screwed our people over”.

1 Like

Present tense

Most certainly couldn’t be able to point to where those countries were on a world map.

From a national security perspective, China is their biggest threat. Intel agencies are open about this. China is engaging in interference and espionage on an unprecedented scale.

2 Likes

I’d struggle to even name it a democracy. More like a polyarchy.

1 Like

That’s when a parrot is in charge if I’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

Two parrots.

Or…does it mean McDonald’s runs things?

Apparently Trump’s official reason for missing the anniversary of rememberance day was he didn’t want to cause traffic jams with the crowds coming to see him.

1 Like

Farking lol - did he get his son to come up with an excuse? Because that’s up there with the dog ate my homework.

4 Likes

It actually is possibly the lamest excuse he’s made for anything so far and that’s saying something.

I’m sure Marine One would have created much air traffic.

In Trumps case, … it would have to be something way more stupid than a Parrot.